does any body have an aquarium? And tips, ideas about them

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
folding paper

does any body have an aquarium? And tips, ideas about them

Post by folding paper »

I just want to know if anybody has a aquarium and what fish you have.I have a 10 gallon tank with 2 black mollys, 2 gold fish, 1 sunburst platy, 2 rosy red minnows, and 1 gold mystery snail. I'm going to get a Otocinclus two days later. And plus, if you have a aquarium, then listen to this: 1.If the water coming out from your filter is bubbleing, that means you should change the cartridge. 2.If you have lots of algae in your tank then get a Otocinclus or mystery snails.The otocinclus is only for a 10 or more gallon tank and when its an adult it shouldn't be with precious fish. For more information about Otocinclus, heres a link, http://www.otocinclus.com/feeding.html. For more information about mystery snails, go here,http://www.applesnail.net/. For more information about algae eaters, heres a link, http://www.aquariumalgaeeaters.blogspot.com/. 3. Before puting the fish in the aquarium, put the plastic bag with the fish in the aquarium. If the temperature of the fish in the water quickly changes, then the fish will die. 4.DO NOT put the water from the bag in the aquarium. 5. Use test strips when fish act wierd or if you care alot about your fish, use test strips weekly. 6. buy a heater when its fall or winter(for tropical fish). If these tips don't impress you go here,http://www.freeaquariumtips.com/ or go on youtube and go on JacobsAquarium. :-D
folding paper

Re: does any body have an aquarium? And tips, ideas about th

Post by folding paper »

Yesterday I didn't get a otocinclus because my brother thought it was too small so we got 2 red minor tetras, 2 turquoise guppys, and 2 gold mystery snails. I'm still worried about algae even though my snails eat algae.
steingar

Post by steingar »

You have too many fish in such a small tank. part of your algae problem. Most of the "algae eaters" actually prefer pellet food, and do a poor job on algae. An algicide or a scraper is far more effective. Good luck.
folding paper

Post by folding paper »

Yeah your right steingar. I'm worried all about the algae. I told my brother we should have gotten a oticinclus but he said we should get algaecide.Plus, do you have an aquarium?
steingar

Post by steingar »

Used to do fish a lot. Less is more. Too many fish get lost in a crowd. Another thing you should do is get some live plants. If algae can grow, they can too.
steingar

Post by steingar »

Used to do fish a lot. Less is more. Too many fish get lost in a crowd. Another thing you should do is get some live plants. If algae can grow, they can too.
folding paper

Post by folding paper »

My 2 guppys died because I didn't add salt, my goldfish died because of fungus on his eye, and my molly died because of either algae or ick. We're going to buy a vacuum for the poo from the fish. Also we're going to buy some liquids that kill fungus, ick, and maybe algae because we might get a otocinclus and we scrubed the algae of the sides of our tank but not the bottom. Plus, some green algae is growing in our tank, is that bad?
steingar

Post by steingar »

You're loosing fish because they're too crowded. The stress of overcrowding is destroying their immune systems, causing them to get sick.

Every aquarium should have a working under gravel filter. Yes, you vacuum the gravel weekly or biweekly, as that's where all the waste goes. You can use a canister filter in addition to keep the water clear, but the under gravel filter does the heavy work.

Again, less is more. Some fish, like Mollys, are brackish, and need added salt. They should not be kept with freshwater fish. Algae in and of itself is not a bad thing, but too much can rob the water of oxygen and stress the fish. Again, aquarium plants can sop up some of the fertilizer and look good doing it.

Most commonly sold aquarium fish, all that you've mentioned, are hardy if kept properly. Again, your biggest problem is overcrowding. Keep fear animals and you'll see less disease and less algae.