Hand Held Scanners

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Wordgames

Hand Held Scanners

Post by Wordgames »

Does anyone know of a company that still manufactures these devices?

I just get sick of trying to keep books open when folding from them and it would be far easier just to scan the pages and throw them on my computer, which would also allow me to magnify certain tricky areas of a diagram.

I know I could use a flatbed scanner or Photocopier but I cannot bring myself to risk damaging the books spine (for example origami insects & kin is nutorious for losing pages).

Failing this does anyone know of a good book stand that has a very small foot print and will not damage the book in question keeping it open?

Thanks.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

You should take in consideration that scanning of books (also for private purposes) is in most cases illegal, therefore you should rather look for another possibility to hold your books open. Some time ago the subject of holding books open was discussed on the Origami Mailing List. I remember someone telling that there are bookholders for cooking books available that do a good job and aren´t that expensive. Maybe you can find the discussion somewhere in the archives of the List.
Last edited by origami_8 on July 16th, 2006, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chapbell

Post by chapbell »

I think that would likely depend upon the jurisdiction. In the US, this would be considered, I believe, fair use. The copying Wordgames describes is non-commercial, transformative, would affect only a portion of the book and would not affect the potential market or value of the work.

If Wordgames were to peddle these scans on the corner, well, that would be an entirely different kettle of fish.

That said, googling "handheld scanner" will probably point you in the right direction.
http://origami.oschene.com
Open Source Origami
It isn't origami till you share it.
Wordgames

Post by Wordgames »

Im pretty sure it would be considered fair use in the UK by most courts, besides its certinally no worse than making a mix tape for the car.

Also given that it is illegal for a purchased book to be lent, resold, hired out or otherwise circulated without the publishers prior consent I am happy to say where they can stick any perceived illegallity on my part.

Incidentally if there are any publishers here I often lend out my origami books to friends and newer folders... shockingly many actually go out and buy the books I lend them and progress to more expensive volumes later, but please sue me =)

Anyhow I'll have a look at the cookbook holders and see if anything makes the grade on that front... I may end up just buying a cheap scanner and doing a little surgery on it ;)