Favorite books

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Nostalgic

Post by Nostalgic »

Sword of truth series by Terry Goodkind,
Kite runners and a thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini
Clan of the cave bear by Jean M. Auel
vegemite and lettuce
origamidude96

Post by origamidude96 »

The red pyramid by Rick Riordin. It's his new series about Egyptian mythology. Bought it the day it came out

I like one piece manga.

I am also OBSSESSED with archie comics. I have about 100.
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen" series...it simply dwarfs every other fantasy book I've ever read...in EVERY WAY.
Draco

Post by Draco »

manga:
1.one piece(favorite anime)
2.bleach(anime ok.... little slow)
3.naruto(like anime better)

Books
1.Eragon cycle
2.Artemis Fowl series
though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light, for i have loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the night
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

I liked Eragon the first time I read/saw it throughout the 70's and 80's....you know...in Star Wars, and the Dragonriders of Pern....and The Lord of the Rings...
Draco

Post by Draco »

oh come on eragon was inspired by those books not a copy lol :|
though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light, for i have loved the stars to fondly to be fearful of the night
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

It felt like a mish-mash of all of them...
Draco

Post by Draco »

were the pern series good? i have to read dragonsong over the summer
NoahRatcl

Post by NoahRatcl »

My favourites are probably the books by Agatha Christie, specifically And Then There Were None and Murder on the Orient Express. Those mysteries were amazing! :D
Keep folding!
-Noah
My Flickr
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

the problem with most modern fantasy novels is that the lotr is so ingrained in our culture, that many writers subconsciously steal from jrr tolkien.

for instance, try terry brooks' "sword of shannara." a mysterious stranger with magical powers arrives, convinces the protagonist the help him stop an evil threatening the world, and they are aided by a ranger with a royal background, an axe-wielding dwarf, and an elven marksman. uh, yeah.

brooks didn't deliberately "steal" from tolkien, but the lotr fired his imagination, so to speak, and influenced his writing.

without having read eragon, i know for a fact that it's the same problem, where the author subconsciously steals from tolkien, only because i myself wrote a fantasy book once, cooking up my own "grand adventure"... and realized years later that it was just a reworking of the lotr.

to see how deeply it goes, just take a look at D&D. why do you think "halflings" have hairy feet and get bonuses to dexterity and being thieves and being innately resistant to fear effects?

really, frumious, if you like fantasies, and you haven't given them a try, i think you'll like george r r martin's "a song of ice & fire" series, which starts with "game of thrones." i think it really WILL dwarf any sword & sorcery you've read up until now. yes, the fourth book was in serious need of an editor. be that as it may, the first three books are still masterworks of fiction, and, as far as i'm concerned, the benchmark by which all modern fantasy is to be measured.
Finward

Post by Finward »

Never replied this topic, so here it is. The books I've loved the most are the books I'm not willing to read again... Like "Brave New World" by aldous huxley (OMG WTF!) The Book Thief by Markus Suzak , and Shiokari Pass by Ayako Miura.
Now, the books I love and i can read over and over are: The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien, Neverending story (why is the movie so awful???) and Momo by Michael Ende, Koning van Katoren by Jan Terlow... and that's all.
NoahRatcl

Post by NoahRatcl »

I also quite like Dan Brown books, like The Da Vinci Code and, more recently, The Lost Symbol
Keep folding!
-Noah
My Flickr
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

My favorite book is The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm sure none of you know it, though there is a small chance I'm wrong, but it is a great book. It is not a fantasy in the style of LotR, oh no. It is tad more realistic, taking place in a medieval/renaissance setting. The focus is not a big quest, or magical beings, like LotR is, but it is the life of a very exceptional person (not going to tell you his name, heehee, read the book to find out 'cause I forgot), from a little boy to a young-ish adult.

Very highly recommended, not just for people tired of the generic LotR fantasy genre, but anyone.

Other books I love:

Fahrenheit 451 (really anything by Bradbury except for Something Wicked This Way Comes, I just always got bored in the middle whenever I read it)
Siddhartha
LotR (how could I not?)
Buddha (by Osama Tezuka, amazing)
and the best for last, ho Batrachomyomachia
My Flickr, please comment!
sjoecool1991

Post by sjoecool1991 »

The Foundation series by Isaac Asimov.
Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne.
Nemesis by Isaac Asimov.

I love science fiction :D
Harpseal
Buddha

Re: Favorite books

Post by Harpseal »

How to train your dragon by Cressida Cowell. A movie of it came out recently and it was huge =D> but it was no where near as good as the books :evil: . If you read them, read them in order because it matters. :)

A lot!! :) :)
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]