What is the general level of math knowledge on these forums?

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.

What is your math background? (Please only mark the highest)

Elementary calculations
8%
High School Algebra and/or Geometry
37%
Calculus
19%
College level math and beyond
34%
None
2%

Total votes: 122

theorigamist

What is the general level of math knowledge on these forums?

Post by theorigamist »

There has been some discussion recently of the degree to which mathematics is inherent in origami. Several people brought up the point that although almost every designer uses mathematics in their designs, it is not necessarily true that the folder is thinking of math when folding. So I thought it would be interesting to know what is the math background of people on these boards (folders and designers). And please specify whether you primarily fold, design, or both.

I primarily fold. I have become more interested in design recently, but I have only designed one thing that I really liked (a modular chessboard). I have a fairly significant math background. I'm currently in college, majoring in math and planning to go to math grad school.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

isn't it somehow useless to give a poll like this to people all over the world? I mean, different countries have different math levels in school. and what is a calculus? maybe you should make your poll more common?
theorigamist

Post by theorigamist »

I didn't mean to specify the US system. When I said high school algebra, I just wanted to differentiate between algebra in the sense of factoring and conic sections (which is typically referred to as high school algebra) and modern algebra (such as group and ring theory). But I'll try to give a better description of what the levels should mean:

Elementary Calculation: The ability to add, subtract, divide and multiply. This includes knowing the order of operations.

High School Algebra/Geometry: This level of algebra involves general knowledge of variables, functions, factoring, and usually some knowledge about graphing. High school level geometry is Euclidean geometry, and generally introduces relations of shapes, formulas for area/volume of common shapes, and geometric proofs.

Calculus: By this I meant the theory of integration and differentiation, usually taught at the high school level for real valued functions or complex valued functions.

College and beyond: This includes quite a bit. I won't try to list it all of it, but basically by this I meant anything more than what I had already listed.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

my last school experience was in 1996... most of the knowledge is burried deep in my brain. but I still know that things like "numbers" exist, does that count?
Turtle13oi

Post by Turtle13oi »

im in 10th grade i dont like the math lol
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

Personally, I think it depends which aspect of origami you're talking about. For example, Origami Omnibus by Kunihiko Kasahara has a lot of information on Maekawa's theory. It's based on angles within creases and the square itself. Modular aslo lookas at angles but in a different way. Also, algebra is a big part of origami. It's not always simple algebra though, sometimes way beyond Highschool level, I may not be more than half way through highschool but I have two passions (well I have more, but they aren't related to this post...); Algebra and Origami.
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

I am currently taking pre-calculus and trig. I plan to go up to at least calc (maybe 4 semesters worth). I am 14, so I really cannot answer the poll until my school is done..
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
Mopey

Post by Mopey »

I...hate...math...Yet I love origami...odd how that works out
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I love math! I do math in french, seeing as I am in french immersion, and I am afraid that next year I will not know the words in english. Sadly, there are no french-math teachers for my grade next year... Yet still, I love math :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Mopey

Post by Mopey »

Cupcake wrote:I love math! I do math in french, seeing as I am in french immersion, and I am afraid that next year I will not know the words in english. Sadly, there are no french-math teachers for my grade next year... Yet still, I love math :D
Math in french? Isn't it hard enough in english?

Ah, just kidding, it's good that math is enjoyable for some
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I actually find it easier in french :? :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
kehom

Post by kehom »

Say, I got beyond calculus. But there are many concepts before that part that I don´t know or only know they exist. So, do I still fit under "College and beyond"?
By the time I think this poll is interesting, I think it´s hard to answer! :roll:
May the shwartz be with you! ;)

Post by avatar »

I am going to be taking College Calculus 1 next semester. I'm still in highschool and will be graduating later this year(2006-2007).
PaperBeetle

Post by PaperBeetle »

I fold but don't design.
I voted for calculus: I have a degree in Maths, but I didn't study for it. I listened to not a word for three years (except in my programming courses) and scraped a pass, based purely on the maths I knew before I started. Some lectures I would just sit there and fold Prehistoric Origami by Montroll.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I usually finish my math sheets early so that I can get some folding time in before I switch classes :D

My classmates have taken to calling me "a genius" or "a robot" just because I remember how to do a lot of things from last year, and because I manage to finish my work early.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs