What is the general level of math knowledge on these forums?

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.

What is your math background? (Please only mark the highest)

Elementary calculations
8%
High School Algebra and/or Geometry
37%
Calculus
19%
College level math and beyond
34%
None
2%

Total votes: 122

~origami~

Post by ~origami~ »

I hate maths.
VeGaN!!!
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

Designing Origami is maths, if you look at it closely. Modular origami, which I know you enjoy, Kate, is very mathematical if you're trying to design it... Like mopey said, it's funny how that works out.

This may sound weird, but outside of origami, I love maths.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Without math, many modern designs wouldn't even exist! Imagine a world without Robert Langs designs :shock:
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Lux Aeterna

Post by Lux Aeterna »

I'm a math major in college, so I know a heck of a lot of math, concentrated in algebraic number theory and analytic topology. If I get around to taking any applied mathematics courses (I've been taking the pure abstracts) I'm considering doing some sort of research paper on origami models as algebraic constructs. I look at the base to a complex model and see a ridiculous amount of geometry, link/braid theory, and Lie algebras.
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

Well, can you believe it. I voted in the poll, but didn't comment! Must've been busy. Anyway, I'm a third year astrophysics student and thus will be qualified in every possible area of math and physics by the end of 2007 (up to third year level of course :wink: )

I'm not going to lie to any of you, but math is my most beloved pastime. Not so much the stuff they have us learn all day long (which I enjoy too), but rather thinking originally about mathematic problems and ideas out their. For this reason applied math has been drawing my attention for the last couple of months (which, coincidentally, includes origami) and now my days are filled with a multitude of popping feelings telling me "Ah, that's how it works!".

I would like to go more intensively into the subject of algebra, specifically group and number theory, but the university where I study has geared all its courses toward practicallity in the first three years. This, and my nagging interrests in philosophy, writing, music and student activities, is going to make it difficult for me to take higher math courses, seeing that I'm in the field of physics primarily.

Where I have most shown my interrest in math within origami is of course the development of my construction system (more generally tubular origami) and the formulation of general equations for the "twisting" of arbitrary sided regular tubes. See my flickr page and my webpage (under construction)

P.S. The feat I am most proud of up to this point is diriving the Binomial theorem myself for natural powers. :D
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
lotsofsnails

Post by lotsofsnails »

I've designed quite a few models and some are very complex but I'm not very good at maths, can't stand it.
Watusa

Post by Watusa »

lotsofsnails wrote:I've designed quite a few models and some are very complex but I'm not very good at maths, can't stand it.
the interesting thing about origami is that it combines maths and art so explicitly. so on one side is dr. robert lang for example, who is more mathematic and so his models tend to be proportional but slightly colder. then, there is david brill or eric joisel and others, whose models tend to involve a lot more sculpting and life and movement and less mathematics. I guess people like Kamiya blend the two, which imo is the most impressive feat, and truest to the traditions of origami (the crane for example, has mathematic but also aesthetic elegance).
NC4TC

Post by NC4TC »

Mopey wrote:I...hate...math...Yet I love origami...odd how that works out
Sort of like science and technology, one loves to use the cell phone but doesn't give a darn how it works!
Tom C.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Calculus
I have taken the highest level of math at my high school (calc my junior year), and earlier this year I took a college calculus course. It was still the same basic stuff (plus some proofs and things), just at a much more advanced level.
Mel_in_Oz

Post by Mel_in_Oz »

I know I did calculus in high school but I doubt I could remember any of it now.

I fold, pretty much interdemiate level but I do challenge my skills occasionally.
melinda
GreyGeese

Post by GreyGeese »

I have a Bachelor's and a Master's in math plus several years of advanced studies beyond the Master's. I would probably have a PhD in it if I had not been doing quite so mch partying at the time, LOL.
While I certainly see the connections between math and origami (especially after reading Lang' Design Secrets), I don't feel that my background makes me a better folder. It will be a while before I start designing, so I can't say how much it will help there.
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

I've probably said this before, but I can't emphasise this enough; Origami Omnibus has some great sections on the math of origami i.e. The Maekawa Theory, which I turned into a very irritating song :D When n = 2, 1 form as in a...
nonkelgans

Post by nonkelgans »

ehhh, I can do + - / * and that's about it. I suck at math, big time.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

What is the general level of math on these forums?

Post by qtrollip »

Algebra was my worst subject at school, but geometry was my best. I have designed over 100 models, some complex, some published. But honestly, I dont think math has influenced my interest in origami at all.
sashadensikoff

Post by sashadensikoff »

I can count on my fingers.....