Rubiks cube

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Ragnorax

Post by Ragnorax »

origami folder wrote:has any on been able to make an origami version. i am currently working on it and have a good starting point. i need to work on the corners though. but i am in the prosess of fishing it, and was wondering if any had figured it out yet.
About 14 posts above this one, Brimstone posted his design of an origami rubiks cube :wink: maybe you can ask him how he folded it?

Also, i learned how to solve the rubiks cube about 3 years or so ago because i got bored one day and wondered how it was done. I bought a 3x3 and after i got my time on that to average about 1:30 i bought a 4x4 and now my average on that is about 4-5 minutes. I also bought a 2x2 for fun because people think it would be so easy but its not as easy as it looks. I dont necessarily solve them for speed but i like to know how to solve them just for fun.

Aside from cubes has anyone tried solving other twisty type puzzles? such as the megaminx (second favorite), crystal pyraminx (my favorite puzzle), pyramorphix, mastermorphix, square-1, void cube, etc.? Those are the other puzzles i have ^_^ its a little hobby of mine :P
insaneorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by insaneorigami »

Never heard of any one of those.... ...:)
origami folder

Post by origami folder »

i like the void-cube and the holy-megaminx. i have aslo tried the megaminx the pryaminx and the square 1.
Ragnorax

Post by Ragnorax »

My small collection :) my 3x3 and 2x2 are being lent to my neighbor who thinks he can solve them :P
Sorry some of the other puzzles are mixed up because my friends think its funny to mess them up because ill have to resolve them eventually.

Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

Here's my collection :)

Missing from this picture since I have them at work and not at home where I took the picture:

- 2x2x2 Rubik's Cube
- 5x5x5 Rubik's Cube
- Megaminx

The Rubik's Mirror Blocks Cube is one of my favorites:

Actually solves like a normal 3x3x3 Rubik's Cube but gets all kinds of crazy shapes while turning.
You don't have colours to go by and have to take the size of the pieces as orientation.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
origami folder

Post by origami folder »

has any one tryed the rubik's 360 or the rubik's magic.
Ragnorax

Post by Ragnorax »

origami folder wrote:has any one tryed the rubik's 360 or the rubik's magic.
oh i have a rubiks magic. the one with the 3 separate rings, then you fold it a certain way and they become linked? i have it at home. it takes like 3 seconds to do once you know how to do it.

ive seen the 360 in stores... it doesnt intrest me honestly
origami folder

Post by origami folder »

i have one. i like making things out of it. like a cube with stand. and a desk. my favorite is the basket.
Ben385

Post by Ben385 »

I have a mirror blocks cube, and a Rubik's UFO. Both are impossible for me.....
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

I am still learning how to solve it! :D :lol:
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

a few days ago in science class, my friend and i are showing off our skills :P i do the rubix magic blindfolded in four seconds he does it in .52 :shock:
then he does it blindfolded one handed :shock: :shock:
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

My updated collection after Christmas :)

See the Flickr page for tags of each "cube".

New additions:

1x3x3 Floppy Cube
This one actually almost solves itself, since there are not many possible combinations.
What is interesting about it is the mechanism used, and I'm still not quite sure how it works.

Gigaminx
The 5x5 version of the Megaminx and it can be solved similar to the 5x5x5 Rubik's cube. First solve the centres and edges, then solve it like a Megaminx. Unfortunately it's a bit fragile and tends to get stuck so you have to be careful with it. I've actually managed to solve it once already though :-)

3x3x3 Void Empty Cube
Almost the same like the normal cube, except there's one situation that can occur here that can't occur on a normal cube. Only way I found to solve it so far is to scramble it up and solve again hoping for a better end.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
redgator12

Post by redgator12 »

I never would've expect other folders to be into cubing as well :D I've been cubing since August, last year, when I first solved my 3x3, and I got so interested in it that I began to expand my solving skills, I now own models of the 3x3, 2x2, 4x4, 5x5, megaminx, flowerminx (2x2 megaminx, dodecagonal version of the ImpossiBall), Quad Cube, Platypus, Brain Twist (not entirely sure if that counts for cubing, and I have failed at solving it), Floppy Cube, Pyraminx, 2x2 Darth Maul Head, Holey Megaminx, Tetraminx, and hope to soon get a Skewb and a Fisher's Cube. Anyone wanting to sell either of those puzzles?
Happy Folding!
Ragnorax

Post by Ragnorax »

@redgator

I get my puzzles from mefferts.com, and you can buy both the skewb and fisher's cube from there.

fishers cube is $14
and the skewb is like $20
redgator12

Post by redgator12 »

I purchase my puzzles from Mefferts, as well. I was actually browsing Meffert's at the same time I had posted that :P And I'm kidding with the cubes, I know no one would want to sell a fisher's cube, they're too fun :D I just have to watch what I spend, I've been losing money too quickly lately so I have to cut back on the spending. And I forgot to post an Average haha. I have an average of 42 seconds and my PB is 31 seconds.
Happy Folding!