Does anyone here play a music instrument?

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.

Do you play a music instrument?

Yes, a bit. Not very well.
23%
Yes, I am rather good at my instrument/s.
59%
No, I don't play one but I would like to.
11%
No, I don't play one and I don't mind.
7%

Total votes: 161

~folder~of~paper~

Does anyone here play a music instrument?

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

I was just wondering if any of you play a musical instrument.
Personally, I play violin (8 years), Piano (My whole life, I first played/smashed the keys when I was 2), Guitar (2 and a bit years), and I sing in a choir at my Performing Arts school.
I suck at and hate violin. I didn't get very good because its such a frustrating instrument if you don't enjoy it...

I love guitar. I got a new Samick acoustic/electric yesterday. I spent this morning, replacing the old strings and polishing it.
Playing numerous instruments means that you can't focus on one so I try to spend an 15 mins to an hour a day with my guitars.

What do you guys play?

Are you self taught?

Is music your profession?
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I am a trombonist
For those of you who don't know what that is, heres one by Eric Joisel:
I've been playing the trombone in the school bands for 5 years, and I practice 20 minutes a day.
I can play snare drum, and I have no idea why because I never really tried before...
Also, I wrote a song (with chords!) for the piano, even though I don't play piano :D
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Fanatic

Post by Fanatic »

I play the piano and violin. I play the piano quite well,( exept I get frustrated with some composers that I don't understand) but the violin not to well. Well, I just started.
My Flickr, please comment!
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

i can play guitar (15 years) and bass (10 years) and a i can fake playing piano annnd a little drums , and little recorder, a little harmonica, a little juice harp. in fact i even spent a year at a music college in atlanta ga. heh but i would get high and not goto work, and eventually had to move back home :)

and music is my profession now. i play usually on the street for change, but sometimes i get to be in a band that plays around town and stuff. and sometimes the good old opening act position. which by the way is a very good one, because you can play whatever you want, for a short time and stll get the free dinner deal :D
orikai

Post by orikai »

yay, my first post on the forums. I play the piano (self taught) and guitar (self taught). I've only played the piano for like 5 or 6 years. i started when I was like 8 or 9, im 14 now. the first song i learned was Fur Elise but not with the chords. now i do play with the chords. and i played the the guitar for about 1 or 2 years, and im not as good. i cant really do chords that well. but i do know where your fingers go its just im not that fast at changing chords as i am with the piano.
~ orikai ~
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Anyone here play something unusual? The trombone's a bit unusual...
My friend and I once made a percussion song using a basketball and a stability ball :lol:

By the way, Welcome to the forum orikai Image
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

I play the piano (started 15 years ago, attended music school for 8 years) and guitar (since about 10 years, self-taught).

As for unusual instruments I also can play the Sitar quite well (self-taught). Only problem is that it takes hours to tune the Sitar right, and without proper tuning it just doesn't sound right.
I'm also quite good on the Tabla. That's an instrument I could play quite naturally without having to learn anything.
So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
orikai

Post by orikai »

thats cool. i kinda like the sitar since my big sister has ALL(like 100+) cd's of hebrew, and arabic music which they use the sitar in almost if not all songs. and i never heard of the tabla (however you spelled it) what kind of instrument is it? sounds cool.
oh and thanks for the welcome Cupcake.
~ orikai ~
Daydreamer

Post by Daydreamer »

So long and keep folding ^_^
Gerwin
orikai

Post by orikai »

it looks nice, and i looked on youtube and it shows a guy playin it. its sooo COOL. heres the link>> the tabla guy
i dont know if ive heard it before, i might have. but it's still cool :D
~ orikai ~
mastermattdude

Post by mastermattdude »

I've been playing an alto saxophone for 4 years now- my high school has concert band every day.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I thought that the tabla was one of the hardest drums to learn...
My music teacher, who began with drums, tried it before and said it wasn't easy... Although I think he was mostly referring to the bass note that you play with the bottom of you're hand... I don't know, I can't remember anymore
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

My cousin plays the djembe drum. I'd love to learn the djembe. I didn't mention that I can play piano, i can read music so I taught myself how to play. I can play the recorder (in third grade, we had a recorder club :roll: ) and some basic rock beats on the drum kit.

Going to a PA school means I see lots of unusual instruments. Kids in my Music Extension Class play the bassoon, marimbas, djembe to the panpipes!!
himanshu

Post by himanshu »

Well, I play the classical guitar. I did try taking lessons in the beginning (12 years back), but couldn't really appreciate the music at that time.

Now am comfortable with the instrument and am hoping to participate in a CG competition in January 2008. Fingers crossed! :)

Himanshu.
orion119net

Post by orion119net »

I play the clarinet and can sorta play the bagpipes... I can also play my sisters accordion. Its not one of those big ones with all the keys, though. She's 6...

But I can play it.