What's your nickname about ?!

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
fleurdelis

What's your nickname about ?!

Post by fleurdelis »

I want to make a topic which is interesting and not existing, but with my previous I made a mistake, and I apologize for it. So in this topic everyone could say something about his or her nickname or to comment the nickname of someone else.

Let's start ...
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

with opening that new topic you should start explaining ...
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

so why don't you start?
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

i'm just interested in the meaning of 'fleurdelis' and so i'm going to wait a little time before lifting my secrets
fleurdelis

Post by fleurdelis »

oh i forgot ... my nickname means the "bloom of lily" in French i like it's middle-age symbol very much

The Fleur-de-Lis

In Heraldry and History

Legend
The English translation of "fleur-de-lis" (sometimes spelled "fleur-de-lys") is "flower of the lily." This symbol, depicting a stylized lily or lotus flower, has many meanings. Traditionally, it has been used to represent French royalty, and in that sense it is said to signify perfection, light, and life. Legend has it that an angel presented Clovis, the Merovingian king of the Franks, with a golden lily as a symbol of his purification upon his conversion to Christianity. Others claim that Clovis adopted the symbol when waterlilies showed him how to safely cross a river and thus succeed in battle.

Heraldry
In the twelfth century, either King Louis VI or King Louis VII (sources disagree) became the first French monarch to use the fleur-de-lis on his shield. English kings later used the symbol on their coats of arms to emphasize their claims to the throne of France. In the 14th century, the fleur-de-lis was often incorporated into the family insignia that was sewn on the knight's surcoat, which was worn over their coat of mail, thus the term, "coat of arms." The original purpose of identification in battle developed into a system of social status designations after 1483 when King Edmund IV established the Heralds' College to supervise the granting of armor insignia.

Religion and War

* Joan of Arc carried a white banner that showed God blessing the French royal emblem, the fleur-de-lis, when she led French troops to victory over the English in support of the Dauphin, Charles VII, in his quest for the French throne.
* The Roman Catholic Church ascribed the lily as the special emblem of the Virgin Mary.
* Due to its three "petals," the fleur-de-lis has also been used to represent the Holy Trinity.
* Military units, including divisions of the United States Army, have used the symbol's resemblance to a spearhead to identify martial power and strength.
Last edited by fleurdelis on March 18th, 2007, 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

and what's your connection with that symbol?
fleurdelis

Post by fleurdelis »

The same as with origami, I like it.
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

aah, i see.
my nickname relates to my interest in brown bears. there's an alternative bear protection project in worbis/germany, where i've been an active forum-member, too. i came across the origami forum within a time when i've spent most of my sparetime with or for that bear project, so my nickname became a beary one.
fleurdelis

Post by fleurdelis »

It sound interesting was this project effective ?
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

... not that effective i've wanted it to be. i've just tried to give some ideas to support the commercials of the project.
i've designed some graphics to print on shirts, bags, buttons or whatever and for last chrismas two greeting cards - nothing special.

hardcoretraceur

Post by hardcoretraceur »

a traceur is a practitioner of parkour, and the hardcore notes my dedication to it, and has a slant rhyme going on.
reality continues to ruin my life
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

the meaning behing mine in quite simple and obvious. :p In my group of friends, i am the folder of paper. Straight forward.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Well... my cousin and friend decided to nickname me... And lo and behold, they came up with Cupcake!
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
fleurdelis

Post by fleurdelis »

Someone else to represent his or her nickname ?!
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

when I started using internet portals, forums and stuff, I needed a name to enter. I'm not the friend of "oh so cool" nicknames so I mostly wanted to enter my real name. but "Christian" is a very common name, so I started to use "DerChristian" which means simply "thechristian". but the english version could have a religious meaning, so I started to shorten it to "thechris" ending up in "TheRealChris" because too many people came up with "TheChristian" or "TheChris".
that's it :)