Origami for human rights

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
amnesty

Origami for human rights

Post by amnesty »

Make Some Noise and Amnesty International have launched a 10,000 crane appeal to demand freedom of expression in Belarus and the release of young prisoner of conscience Zmitser Dashkevich.

Join the challenge and make a difference! Learn more about the challenge and Belarus

thnxx and keep on foldin'!

Laurence for Make Some Noise
http://noise.amnesty.org
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

In my eyes this topic is spam and I would delete it immediately if I wouldn´t have been asked by Saj not to do so. Just my two cents.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I'm fully on your side with this Anna. reposting cut&paste-sh#t is spamming, no question. if he/she/it would probably tell us something about it, it wouldn't look like spam.
Nevertheless I'll put it into the kitchen sink, as long as we don't speak with a human, it's only hardly of use for us!!!
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Plus, wouldn't 10,000 cranes only help 10 people?
A legend says that if you fold 1,000 origami crane birds, your wish will be granted
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

Cupcake wrote:Plus, wouldn't 10,000 cranes only help 10 people?
:P thats absolutely correct! ;)
my Origami Gallery
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

But they only want to help one specific person:
the release of young prisoner of conscience Zmitser Dashkevich.
Whether or not his release will help others is a moot point...

Please don't delete this as spam. It may have been posted by a robot, but the purpose behind it appears to be genuine. I understand why people would want to keep politics, religion etc separate from the origami side of this board, but I feel that where the "real" world attempts to make a connection with the origami world, for whatever reason, then we should encourage it, not discourage it.
mleonard

Post by mleonard »

But of course, if anyone can be bothered to click through to the video, the so-called crane isn't a crane at all...
amnesty

Post by amnesty »

hi guys,

ok ok, i am a bit surprised by the hostile response.
thanks mleonard for reminding the good people about the genuine goal.
amnesty international has a track record of making a difference where it matters, and i am sure you have heard how prison/death sentences have been commuted thanks to support of individuals through global action.

the reason this post was reposted is that it was deleted by error 3 times, and i had to manually repost it. so just to let you know, amnesty international is still a movement of people who care, (not of robots)

as for the crane, you will know that until origami is compulsory in kindergarten, most people will find it very difficult to do. we therefore had to come up with a simpler form many people could join in.
there are a couple of hundred of origami birds that were sent already, including *real* cranes (you can see them here), and if you guys can join to make a difference, that would be fantastic!

thanks

laurence for make some noise