Lollies

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
islandmassive

Post by islandmassive »

ohh my favorites got to be rose flavoured turkish delight
(hmm might go buy some [-o< )
ImageImageImage
emberjelly

Post by emberjelly »

YUMMO!

i love turkish delight!!!!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Really? This stuff looks really disgusting.

More than sweets I like different kinds of fruits like blackberries, apricots, mangosteens,...
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I have never had Turkish delight but it sounds pretty good. I wouldnt even know where to get it!
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I also love turkish delight. in Germany it's called "türkischer Honig" what means "turkish honey".
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The one in the picture (rose flavor) isn´t "Türkischer Honig".
Last edited by origami_8 on August 19th, 2007, 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I'm pretty sure it is. I saw turkish delight in many different variations, not only the white one :)
islandmassive

Post by islandmassive »

here's discriptions of turkish delight
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_Delight

And the English translation of "Türkischer Honig" (according to a neighbor who teaches German at the local primary school the English version is called nougat)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nougat
ImageImageImage
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, Nougat is something completely different, but I think we´re having the same problems here as with the lollies. Some words are used differently in different areas. In Austria for example "Türkischer Honig" only describes a white soft candy with nuts inside. As I´ve seen on the German Wikipedia and have been told by Chris in this topic in Germany they are using the term too for what is called Lokum in Austria.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 19th, 2007, 2:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

And the English translation of "Türkischer Honig" ... is... nougat
Well, Nougat is something completely different,
nope Anna, you're completely wrong. "türkischer Honig" is "hard nougat" (I don't know if hard- and soft nougat are the right terms, but that's how we say it here in Germany "Hartnougat" & "Softnougat"). you where probably thinking about the "soft nougat" that is often covered with chocolate. but "turkish delight" or "türkischer Honig" is definitely a sort of nougat. Image
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

I don't know if I could decide what I like, because there are so many different types of them... In general, I like food
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
aesthetistician

Post by aesthetistician »

Nougat and Turkish delight are considered the same species? Turkish delight is basically a kind of jelly - sugar flavoured with stuff and set with gelatin. Nougat is constructed more along the lines of toffee or fudge - sugar is heated to boiling point and then cooled, altering its crystalline structure.

Do both names refer to different things in other parts of the world?

The pink jelly stuff tastes better than it looks. Granted, it doesn't actually look like food at all.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

aesthetistician wrote:Do both names refer to different things in other parts of the world?
That´s what I tried to say. It´s obvious that the words are used different in Germany and Austria. I asked a few people here in Vienna and everyone I asked knows the words with the same meanings as I do. On the other hand, the German Wikipedia entry verifies the meaning that Chris told us, so it seems that some more people beside him use the words that way.
So neither of us both is false or right with his/her opinion, its just that the words are used different in different places.

Oh well and "Türkischer Honig" is a lot softer than "Nougat" so calling it hard nougat seems very illogical to me.
sashadensikoff

Post by sashadensikoff »

I tend to go for gummy lollies, you know, the sort that's full of gelatins, and vegatable gums, colours, flavourings and strange numbers? Red frogs are a good one, but only the firm ones, like Allens.

Other than that, I'd happily kill for Rocky Road. But it must have a least 40/50% jelly in it. And the marshmallow must be in three colours, and be flavoured too.

I'm rather fussy about what I like in a lolly, although if I need a sugar fix, any old crap will do. :)