What is the average age of people on this site

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Friet

Post by Friet »

wooben wrote: John Montroll is my Calculus teacher and a pretty good friend
Damn you! Lucky bastard!

I'm 18 years old btw and I'm going to study medicine next year.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

cybermystic wrote: I'm 25, and plan to still be folding when I'm in my eighties.
I´m 22, and plan to fold for the rest of my life (why should I stop after my eighties?).
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

origami_8 wrote: I´m 22, and plan to fold for the rest of my life (why should I stop after my eighties?).
because you might be dead?! ;)

Christian
Rosemary LYNDALL WEMM

Post by Rosemary LYNDALL WEMM »

I'm 57 :shock: Shocked and still developing new hobbies. I live in a house with 30 something fish tanks and contents, about a dozen computers and other things with screens, a FreeBSD kernal writer, an intellectually gifted HADD 10-year old. In my younger days I was a musician and clinical neuropsychologist who loved bush-walking, camping, photography, carpentry, botany, gardening and trouble-making. Due to old age, decrepitude and encroaching senility I have been forced to develop a more sedate range of hobbies. It beats the other things society imagines I should be doing by now :wink:
Wink;-)
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

I'm 18 years old. I live in Potchefstroom, South Africa and I'm first year physics student. I have an incling toward modular origami, I guess it's the connection with mathematics that draws me to it. Do any of you know of any other folders from SA that post on this site?
There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
artur biernacki
Forum Sensei

Post by artur biernacki »

I'm 27 years old!
dani luddington

origami and age

Post by dani luddington »

oh geezzz do i feel like i am the oldest or what!!! im 42 in july! guess i am going thru my childhood now, was too busy raising children when i was younger, now they are 17 and 23 (gulp) the average age of most posters here! my how the perspective is different from this age! lol(wink)
sincerely, dani
Annalog

origami and age

Post by Annalog »

I turned 51 in March.

That raises the average (mean) age on this thread so far to 26.5 and the median to 24. The range is 41 years.

I found this forum a week ago and have not yet discovered if there is a thread for "How old were you when you discovered origami?" or "How long have you been folding paper?" (Of course I found that thread a couple hours after writing this post. :oops: )

I remember learning three models (paper cup, fortune teller, and gum wrapper chain) in grade school (not sure at what age, but in that order), but remember becoming interested in origami a couple years later when I was 10 years old and found "The Art of Chinese Paper Folding For Young and Old" by Maying Soong in the school library. It was not long before I had folded every model in that book. That was 41 years ago - the current range of ages listed so far.

Dani, does that help you feel younger? :)

Happy folding,
Anna
Last edited by Annalog on June 25th, 2005, 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rosemary LYNDALL WEMM

The age of it all...

I didn't really get going as an "origamist" until three years ago, when I was 54, in hospital and bored. I've started lot of things rather late in life. I had my first (and last) child at the grand age of 47 ... without trying to get pregnant. Does that make you feel young? :D

BTW, my recently started origami photo gallery continues to grow. Although I have folded the work of many respected origami veterans I am trying to keep the megabytes down by restricting my "box gallery" mainly to my own creations.

Please check back regularly as I continue to add models and diagrams. There is quite a lot more to come. I have several plastic containers full of original boxes which I am working my through. Most of them are prototypes made from rough scrap paper which need to be folded from my (large) supply of better stuff.

The procedure is as follows:
1. (this step is usually skipped) web-publish photo of rough model (to establish priority before someone else comes up with the same or similar model),
2. publish photo of model folded from pretty paper,
3. publish photos of modular units (if there are any),
4. publish crease pattern of model,
and finally,
5. publish folding diagrams of model.

You will find the gallery at: http://photos.wemm.org/origami

Please be patient. All this takes time .. and I do have a life outside origami. :)

- Berry
denori

Post by denori »

Well I'm 38 and I've been folding for longer than the current average age of posters to this list.

Thanks for making me feel old :D

I'm lying. I still don't feel old. Like most people about my age, my head still thinks I'm about 22! My body begs to differ :wink:
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I am trying to keep the megabytes down by restricting my "box gallery" mainly to my own creations.
you could also reduce the size of your gallery, by optimizing the size of your pictures :)
look at this

http://img194.echo.cx/img194/6980/picture067s28to.jpg
http://img194.echo.cx/img194/8291/picture067s2vd.jpg

the first one has 62kb
the second picture (your original) has 173kb
I reduced the size by 2 thirds only by increasing the JPG-compression :)

Christian

PS: you have a wonderful gallery
ilithiya

Post by ilithiya »

27 here... first exposure to origami was when I was 4 (spent a week folding everything in sight). After that, I took a hiatus until just two days ago. Yeah, pretty shabby, but what can ya do? :o

(Other times I'm a mom of 2 toddlers, a henna artist, mad scientist, and generally shiftless and scatterbrained. :D )

Illy
dani luddington

Post by dani luddington »

much better Anna! smiles
i tried for many many years off and on as a youngester to fold models and always ended up with origami boulders. i think i would have done ok if there would have been someone to show me. it wasnt until i was 30 and picked up a book in the crafts section of i believe barnes and nobles. it was then that the light went on and i havent stopped ever since! sincerely, dani
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

My first post. Begin folding since 8-9. I also develop interest in origami architecture at 12. Regular folder when I was 16. Now 22, seldom fold cause I cant find people to share my interest. My best fold is noted the kawasaki's rose version 1 & 2. Hopefully I'll regain my interest joining this forum.

I'm from Kuching, Malaysia. Anyone from Malaysia?
Rosemary LYNDALL WEMM

Hailing from Malaysia.

I'm from Kuching, Malaysia. Anyone from Malaysia?
Bukan begitu, tapi bisa mengerti B. Melayu. (Tetapi pandai B. Indonesia saja.) Anda yang asal dari kota Kuching juga punya kuching, ya tidak? :)

[No, but I understand the Malaysian language. (Although I only speak the Indonesian language.) Do you, who come from the city of Kucing (=cat), also own a cat? :) ]

Berry.