What is the average age of people on this site

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Morgan

i know its way past thread date buut

Post by Morgan »

im not quite yet an avid member...but i´m 25
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

Wow. I think at eighteen, I'm about the average age here...
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

TheRealChris wrote:is it really that important to have physical contact to other folders?
I think it is not strictly necessary but it helps a lot. I speak from personal experience. The friend that re-introduced me to origami is an excellent folder but he only folded from books. He learned 3 or 4 models from his father and from then on he bought 4 or 5 origami books and he folded all of the models from those books. He makes precise folds and gives nice "expression" touches to models (a lot better than I can), but he was not aware of nice models such as the Kawasaki rose and he had never heard of the origami masters Hojyo, Kamiya, Miyajima and Komatsu, he didn't even know that foil paper existed. I introduced him to these people, to the foil paper and to some ultra complex models that he has tried and accomplished very nicely, so in some way, finding me widened his origami world.

Regarding myself I started to attend my local group meetings and from meeting people there I was introduced to nice models, nice papers and I improved my folding technique. There are many ways of folding and not always your way is the right way.

When I teach origami, I encourage my "pupils" to check on their neighbor's technique and compare it to what they do. Sometimes they get nice surprises
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

When I teach origami, I encourage my "pupils" to check on their neighbor's technique and compare it to what they do. Sometimes they get nice surprises
this is so true man, i am a self taught too...but not really becuase the internet helped immensly with diagrams forums and other pages with images etc, but when my girlfriend was learning, she showed me by accident some alternate ways to fold the preliminary base, and like my roomate showed me how to apply origami to other things than just square paper ie: napkins, notes, and mainly ...well...at the time..uhm cigarettes *cough*.....and he made these magnificant tubes and cones....very amazing! i think it is important to not only be in contact with other folders...but also to become a pupil whenever you can be. :)

Morgan
esato

Post by esato »

I thought people who post here were older ! Maybe because many of the origami masters besides Kamiya are kind in their fourties or older.

I can´t remember the age I was when I started folding. I must have been around 7 years old when my mother taught me the crane, but I´ve only got more serious about origami this year.

BTW, I am 23, I´ll be 24 on a few weeks,and I am a Computer engineer.
gila o

Post by gila o »

I am 46 and today is my birthday :D
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

gila o wrote:I am 46 and today is my birthday :D
congratulations :)

Christian
gila o

Post by gila o »

THank you!
Gila.
cybermystic

Post by cybermystic »

Now, is that 46 and today you are 47, or 45 and today you are 46?
Calfaile

Wow, Underaverage!

Post by Calfaile »

23, student.

I've been folding for as long as I remember (but since I can't place my first folding memory, that doesn't mean much). It all started with a battered old origami book. . .

I just discovered this forum today, through a link about bernie payton's owls (are there diagramns? Please?). Just when I was starting to get to work on my paper. . . .

I agree that having physical contact with other folders is very important. I was self taught until about a year ago. I was getting kind of bored, didn't have any interesting models to fold. Then I joined my local origami group and I feel so refreshed! It's definately worth joining a club if you can!

-Calfaile
Joseph Wu

Post by Joseph Wu »

35, origami artist/illustrator.

Welcome aboard, Calfaile. Just wanted to say that we enjoy having you at the local club, too. Now, if we could only get you to teach sometimes... ;)
Calfaile

But I do!

Post by Calfaile »

. . .after all I taught that great lizard a few meetings ago. . . 8)

I'll teach the frog next time, since I hear that conscripted teaching has been implemented.

But since we're pulling local errata into this forum, I must say that one of the *major* reasons why I like the origami group so much is that I can learn at the feet of Master Wu. You can't get great undiagrammed models just *anywhere* you know. . .

Are the other great masters as generous as you?

The other reason is the hi jinks, definately the hi jinks. Whoever said that origami people were a quiet and withdrawn bunch obviously goes to the wrong meetings. . .
Joseph Wu

Re: But I do!

Post by Joseph Wu »

Calfaile wrote:. . .after all I taught that great lizard a few meetings ago. . . 8)
Okay...teach more then.
Calfaile wrote:Are the other great masters as generous as you?
No. Most of them are much more generous than I am.
Calfaile wrote:The other reason is the hi jinks, definately the hi jinks. Whoever said that origami people were a quiet and withdrawn bunch obviously goes to the wrong meetings. . .
It's all Jamie's fault. :)
isurus

Post by isurus »

gila o wrote:I am 46 and today is my birthday :D
Even though i'm too late..

Congraturation!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im 20years old(korean age21)

oh..What a amazing!

I surprised at jason ku's age..

he is blewing me a way... wow.. :o
harlequin
Location: Among the southern folk, between the sunken city and the house in the clouds

Post by harlequin »

Blast. Why is it whenever someone has a birthday on a forum I visit I'm always flamin' last to notice!

For what it's worth, I hope you had a good one.

I'm 32 and I find that deeply scary. I certainly don't feel it.

Been folding since I found an old Rupert annual lying around the house with a crane in it when I was about 7. I tried to fold it, failed, gave it to Dad who made it perfectly, took it apart to find out how and lost my temper when in wouldn't go back together. A few years later I found 'Origami: The Art of Papaer Folding' by Robert Harbin on my parents bookshelf. No idea why as neither of them can even make a paper dart, but I borrowed it and guess what the first model I leaned to fold was...