Two languages

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.

can you speak 2 languages

yes
45%
no
15%
i speak 3
25%
i speak more!!!
16%

Total votes: 146

itashiman

Two languages

Post by itashiman »

for lack of a better word i am around at least 3 or 4 languages in my house and kind of wonder. Say you speak Tagalog. a Filipino language i can understand. You were born in the Philippines and born with Tagalog all around you growing up and speak the language fluently. Well now say another person is English, speaks English, etc., and you try to learn another language. Well I take a Spanish call and when ever the teacher says a word I say in my mind ... HOLA=HI. My point is If your the Filipino do you relate every word to English. NO! ... right

well post your thoughts please
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

My mother language is German and I speak English rather fluently. I can also think in English.
About seven years ago my Russian was better than my English, having learned it for eight years, but now it's all gone.
In upper school I learned one year long Japanese, but unfortunately wasn't allowed to continue (seven people from all over the city would have been needed that the subject would have taken place and five wanted...). All I remember now is how to count until 99, that's it.
Galif

Post by Galif »

Besides Portuguese-BR, my mother language, I can speak English very well (or at least I like to think so ^^) and I can understand most of Spanish, though I'm not that good at writing it...
It's impossible until someone does it.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

My home language is Afrikaans, which doesnt help me much as only about 6 million people in the world can understand or speak it! And I'm fluent in English. My girlfriend is Japanese and I took a few lessons, but I can't remember any of it!!
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

I took 3 years of Spanish during middle/high school, but I don't remember too much anymore. I was never very fluent at all, so I do not consider myself bilingual. Oh, almost forgot to say (even though it may be obvious) that English is my native language :oops:
klnothincomin

Post by klnothincomin »

Well, I am learning spanish in school, and I speak english and cantonese, so I guess I am trilangual. :)
Kevin Luo
If practice doesn't make perfect, at least it passes time! ^_^
Adam

Post by Adam »

I speak Polish, Dutch and English fluently and am relatively good at Spanish and French. I'm also studying Japanese at the moment. I tried to learn German too for several years, which resulted in me usually knowing what people are saying or writing, but I find it rather difficult to say something myself.
Oh, I can also read Czech, because it looks a bit like Polish.
Trekker_1983

Post by Trekker_1983 »

deleted
Last edited by Trekker_1983 on July 15th, 2010, 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destined

Post by Destined »

My native language is German. In school I first learned English and as a second language Latin, which is, in my opinion, nearly impossible to speak. Once I tried to build a latin sentence, but it took abeout five minutes. But it helps understanding Latin based languages like Spanish, Italian and (at least a bit) French. I also know some words Japanese, which appear often in Animes, that I watch (Japanese with english subtitles).
Gadi Vishne

Post by Gadi Vishne »

Hebrew, English, C, C++, Pascal, Assembly (8086), Assembly (ARM), Assembly (PPC), Logo, Basic, ADA, Java, Prolog.

I choosed YES. :)
Gadi V.
My Origami Site: www.origadi.com
Galif

Post by Galif »

Hahahaha, that's interesting! Now you brought the subject, I can speak some C, C++, Java and the ancient Fortran, but I hate programming :x...
It's impossible until someone does it.
Adam

Post by Adam »

Hmm, only C++, HTML, Basic and some Java here. :P
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Does TI basic on calculators count? If so, then I am bilingual :P
araknoid

Post by araknoid »

italian, english, latin, greek, a bit of russian, clipper (an obsolete programming language from years ago... it should have evolved in xbase++), java, and some magick mumbo-jumbo.
mmm. do body language and nlp techniques count? :)
Fnord
Duckie

Post by Duckie »

French and English.