Gay Origamists

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.

I am

a straight male
79%
a gay male
4%
a bisexual male
6%
a straight woman
9%
a gay woman
1%
a bisexual woman
2%

Total votes: 105

merman

Gay Origamists

Post by merman »

As a kid I always heard Origami was an art performed by women and gay people. In Holland, Origami is mainly performed by women and more in a decorative sense. Most of the people in Holland don't like Lang or Kamiya... not that there is anything wrong with liking origami for decorative purposes, it is just not my cup of tea...

I always thought saying origami is for women and gays is not only very degrading but also utter bullocks, even though I happen to be gay.

So my question/poll is: are there more gay origamists here???
aesthetistician

Post by aesthetistician »

That's one stereotype I never heard...although all stereotyping is a little degrading, when you think about it!
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Some stereotypes tend to hold true more so than others, though. For example, stereotypes about musicians based on their instruments (i.e. trumpets are arrogant, flutes/sopranos are divas, etc.) hold true a surprising amount of the time-not necessarily in such defined terms (i.e. arrogant, diva), but a person's general personality tends to fit their instrument.
nonkelgans

Post by nonkelgans »

Harhar, this is the first time I hear about this one. No, I'm not gay. I only once kissed a guy but that is it, I'm not attracted to men so I don't think there is a direct link towards being gay and Origami. Maybe it's the carefulness and finesse that gives the idea that it's a gay/women thing.
merman

Post by merman »

hmm... well here in Holland it is considered similar to doing embroideries or knitting. Honestly. That is because the complex type is hardly practised here...

So far I seem to be the only gay male of the forum :P
JVega

Post by JVega »

I´m in Amsterdam right now, I like origami... and I´m not gay!! :D

By the way, I´m Spanish... :P
"Keep On Folding!!"

Trekker_1983

Post by Trekker_1983 »

whoever believes in that stereotype is an ignorant.. :wink:
I've shown origami to quite a few people and never heard such thing. And yes it's very degrading and shows how narrow one's mind can be :?

btw, I'm a straight male.
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Really, the only stereotype about origami is that mostly Japanese people do it. Which is a pretty fair assumption since it is generally attributed as a Japanese art and seems to be a lot more well-known in Japan than in the United States, where I live. I can't say that it is the same for other countries, but I imagine a somewhat similar situation exists-though I am aware that other countries have also developed origami such as papiroflexia in Spain.
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

According to the polls, mostly straight males fold origami, and very few women are actually interested in it, which kind of contradicts the stereotype :-s Here in Malaysia er...the Bottomless Pits of Hell, almost nobody folds origami. But it's quite popular in my school though. Most of my friends know how to make Jeremy Schafer's monolithic rubble stone boulder, even though they've never heard of Jeremy Schafer...or origami. To bad they only display they're wonderful models in waste paper baskets and all over the floor.
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Jonnycakes wrote:Really, the only stereotype about origami is that mostly Japanese people do it. Which is a pretty fair assumption since it is generally attributed as a Japanese art and seems to be a lot more well-known in Japan than in the United States, where I live.
Hah, that brings this to mind:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f7Ghs_d93Ng

About thirty seconds in.
sandyxon8

Why ni bisexual

Post by sandyxon8 »

I'm bisexual female. Be proud to say out. And i also know many bisexual online as ... who are also interested in this. We are not familar with this site.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

sandyxon8, are you actually doing Origami, or have you just signed in to promote this website?
nonkelgans

Post by nonkelgans »

JeossMayhem wrote:
Jonnycakes wrote:Really, the only stereotype about origami is that mostly Japanese people do it. Which is a pretty fair assumption since it is generally attributed as a Japanese art and seems to be a lot more well-known in Japan than in the United States, where I live.
Hah, that brings this to mind:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f7Ghs_d93Ng

About thirty seconds in.

Har, let's also bring a pyjama!!!
angrydemon
Forum Sensei

Post by angrydemon »

"Look everyone! My ASIAN friend Heidiki made an ORAJAMI fire-breathing dragon!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
I've fallen down, and I can't get up.
My Flickr
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

And where is that dragon? :shock:
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz