paper crafting

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
mrmagik

paper crafting

Post by mrmagik »

Ive just seen this new thing called paper crafting where people go on google sketch up 3-d and a program prints the 3-d object as peices that you can put together to form it, look on youtube for life size paper craft link, its amazing. atm my brother and i are creating a medium size banshee from halo, gona be awsome.
Tymalous

Post by Tymalous »

I like papercraft too, you can see other models on www.papercraftparadise.blogspot.com
question: are you using pepakura?
fold-it-all

Post by fold-it-all »

Yeah pepakura is great my printer crapped out so I have to wait for a bit.... :(
Laugh alone, and the world thinks you're an idiot.
ahudson
Forum Sensei

Post by ahudson »

Wrong forum. We don't like scissors & glue here :x it might make a nice entry for the "paganism" competition though.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

scissors & glue takes the fun straight out of the paper! :P
fold-it-all

Post by fold-it-all »

I agree that it takes the fun out of paper craft, which is why I dont dare call pepakura a craft. It's what comes afterwards like ideas, Fiberglass replicas, and sculpures that count!
Laugh alone, and the world thinks you're an idiot.
phoenyx
Location: A little town in the middle of nowhere where I can fold undisturbed... I'm not telling you where!

Post by phoenyx »

"scissors & glue takes the fun straight out of the paper! "

yes it does! my friend was a dedicated origamist but he turned to the dark side and loves paper crafting now :cry:

I have purged my home of books that cut except origami omnibus which has only one cut. :twisted:
Take time to talk like a pirate today.
Adam

Post by Adam »

I quite enjoy papercrafting. It seems some of you are rather biased, thinking that papercraft is easy simply because you can cut and glue. I can assure you that is certainly not the case.

Papercraft involves a lot of work when it comes to properly designing models. It's not a matter of making random 3D models, putting it into Pepakura and *poof* you have a papercraft model. Building something properly involves planning on where to put edges, where to put tabs, so that it is actually buildable. One has to consider the size of parts, take into account the weight of the paper, and many other factors. Proper models are test built multiple times, and refined until they are exactly as what the designer had in mind.

Besides... this is the off-topic section. Papercraft is a perfectly acceptable topic in this section.
philipinorigami101

Post by philipinorigami101 »

i like papercraft. in fact, i used to do it since i was 10. these sites tell them all
http://paperkraft.blogspot.com/
http://gundamandrobotanime.blogspot.com ... bel/gundam
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

I´m an origamist but my sister started getting in to this papercraft not long ago.
And although I do have to say I like origami too much to "cheat" on it with other papercrafts, this papekura thingy is actually interesting, somewhat fun but really gratifying, the finished models look really nice.
So I think it´s like saying you will not wear tailored clothes because of the cutting and pasting (with stitching) and are going to dress exclusivly in saris and togas since it´s purer in origami. Actually it´s not a too bad idea.
Anyway I don´t see the problem origami and papekura are far away enough to be considered two distinct things in my mind.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Also wastes too much paper.
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

i HATE when people confuse origami with paper. last year, some kid in my class made my whole class think that i sucked at origami because he showed everyone a picture of an "origami city" on google. it was all papercraft. but it was titled origami city. i had an ancien dragon sitting next to me at the time. which people thoughtwas kiddish after seeing. which they played monkey in the middle with.
philipinorigami101

Post by philipinorigami101 »

true story?
origamifreak_1.6180339889

Post by origamifreak_1.6180339889 »

unfortunately. but luckily it survived with minor injuries
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Re: paper crafting

Post by Razzmatazz »

MH3 Pig with a Rathalos costume that I made in the last two days. 67 pieces.

I realize now that papercraft is equal with origami. It's just different in many ways.