Petals around the rose

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Ragnorax

Petals around the rose

Post by Ragnorax »

Has anyone ever heard of this or tried this?

http://www.borrett.id.au/computing/petals-j.htm

Its a brain teaser puzzle. This is probly the most frustrating thing ive done in a long time. It took me about a half an hour to figure it out. When you figure it out, you just want to facepalm yourself >.<

Have fun :)

Just remember: The name of the game is Petals around the Rose :wink:

Oh, and dont look up the solution because that takes all the fun out of it. And dont spoil it for others please. The answer really isnt THAT hard to figure out. Just think about it.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

good game, ill continue later! :D
kevin89

Post by kevin89 »

AAARGH! so frustrating!!!! ](*,)

I haven't gotten any closer since I started half an hour ago!
All I've figured out was that the colors don't mean anything, and that was by googleing* hints...

*is it googleing or googling? :-k
Moog

Post by Moog »

Interesting...
I already know it, but with a different name, that I cannot tell to do not spoil... :-)
kevin89

Post by kevin89 »

I still haven't figured it out :cry: I have spent around three hours on it :-({|= Can u give me a hint by telling me more about the significance of it's* name?

*Is it its or it's?
Origamist388

Post by Origamist388 »

"Its",if you'd say "it's" you mean "it is"
Art is about creation. It is about self-expression. It is giving form to something within you.
-Joseph Wu
jadylyon

Post by jadylyon »

i enjoyed this game! not often you come up with interesting puzzlers that make you go "doh!" when you figure it out.
Origamist388

Post by Origamist388 »

I just gave myself one hell of an epic facepalm after I figured it out! :lol:
Art is about creation. It is about self-expression. It is giving form to something within you.
-Joseph Wu
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Are we allowed to say how we found out?

Well I'll say and if someone wants me to take it off I will.

I did it through this process:

1. Say the numbers are: 2, 3, 5, 5, 6

I take note of this guess a totally random number then I get the answer 10. Right now I know nothing except that those 5 numbers equal 10 together.

2. Roll again. 6, 2, 2, 1, 1. Guess an educated guess now. Seeing as I have more twos and a 6 which is from the previous roll I say something like the answer is 6.

The answer turns to be 0.

What I know,

6, 2, and 1 all equal 0.

3. From the first numbers I got:
2, 3, 5, 5, 6

Those underlined are the only ones with value.
10 cannot be divisible by 3 so that means that 5 and 3 have unequal values. The only values that it can be is:

2, 4, 4
4, 3, 3
6, 2, 2
8, 1, 1
10, 0, 0
0, 5, 5

The thing about this is that one of the rules is that the answer is always even. If you have 5 dice and an odd number of dice have uneven values, the answer will be odd. So it is impossible that 8 1 1, 4 3 3, and 0 5 5 will work as values.

4. I roll again, the point is to get a 4 and at least a five and/or a three.
I roll: 2, 2, 4, 4, 6 = 0
I know 4 now has no value. I know for sure now that 5 and 3 are the only numbers to actually/might have a value.

5. Roll again. 1, 2, 2, 4, 6. I can guess 0. And it's right. This further confirms my assumptions.

6. Roll again. 4, 4, 4, 6, 3. Now I can test my numbers. 3 can either value 10, 6, or 2. I guess 10 to clear exhaust one (or two if I'm correct) of the values. the actual answer is 2.
I now know the value of 3 = 2.
I now assume 5 = 4.

7. Roll again for confirmation... 6, 5, 2, 3, 3
I guess 4+2+2=8.
My guess is right.
I can now furthermore find out what the petals around the rose mean by the numbers on the dice.
[/u]
kevin89

Post by kevin89 »

Impressive. =D> I never thought about assigning the values to the numbers and then eliminating the different possibilities. Although if I just discovered it now I might because of a problem solving class I'm taking :D
The most important thing for me is the direct observation of nature in its light-filled existence. -August Macke
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

Razzmatazz wrote:Are we allowed to say how we found out?
From the site;

"If you succeed in working out the secret to the challenge, you become a Potentate of the Rose and qualify to become a member of the Fraternity of Petals Around the Rose. However, you must pledge to be a cruel and heartless wretch who will never divulge the secret of the game to anyone else. Only those that can work it out for themselves should know the secret of Petals Around the Rose."

It's interesting to see how you reached your answer, though. It's actually much simpler than that, and the title is a big clue, but your method certainly works. The values aren't arbitrary, though.
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Falcifer wrote:
Razzmatazz wrote:Are we allowed to say how we found out?
From the site;

"If you succeed in working out the secret to the challenge, you become a Potentate of the Rose and qualify to become a member of the Fraternity of Petals Around the Rose. However, you must pledge to be a cruel and heartless wretch who will never divulge the secret of the game to anyone else. Only those that can work it out for themselves should know the secret of Petals Around the Rose."

It's interesting to see how you reached your answer, though. It's actually much simpler than that, and the title is a big clue, but your method certainly works. The values aren't arbitrary, though.
I guess I'm no frat :D

But I tried this method out first, but I never recorded my findings, so when writing this post I re played out the game and usd those numbers. Of course the number of rolls of the dice it takes varies on the variety of the rolls.