favorite videogames

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Re: favorite videogames

Post by OrigamiGeek »

hear is a short thing on mine craft: you can make worlds and cut down trees to get wood and make axes to help you can farm and build hoses you can mine duh you can craft things to make picks, axes, and hows you can also make swords and fight mobs (enemies) some mobs include: creeper (like a bomb when it gets near you it explodes) and zombe(just walks around and and kills you ) there are more mobs but I don't have time to tell you about all of them. you can go on the internet and fight your friends too :D
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Cool! I might get it, although i am saving up for a ds at the moment (my ancient gameboy's down arrow is dying) but i might get minecraft at some point. Is it a game where you're a character that walks around, or is it something else?
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

I have a ds they arn't as good a you might think maby dsi's are better who knows :?
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

Well, I consider Grand Theft Auto IV my favorite game.
It's perfect on every level. Story, action, characters, humour, satire, everything. Except the cover system, at least.
And Assassin's Creed II. An improvement over the first in every way.
Last edited by newbpcpfolder on May 22nd, 2012, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

"Sighs" killing people games. Not much against them but i can't see the fun in them.
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

Ugh, I'm inclined to disagree. That's a very superficial view of such games. I agree to some level; they ARE based around killing, and YES they are immoral.
But they are games, and hat's what they are. You need control over yourself to avoid doing such things in real life too.
But, let's get to the point. Have you read my full post? I said, "story, action, humour, satire" (edited to include "characters" now). It feels pretty pointless just killing people. I play a game for what it has to offer, the characters, the story. Well, let's see GTA IV first. *SPOILERS* We follow Niko Bellic through the story. He is an East European war veteran suffering from survivor's guilt for his unit of 15 was ambushed, of which only 3 survived. He comes to Liberty City because he is sure one of the two must be the traitor and is in that city, and his cousin Roman also brags about him being rich and all, but the truth is, he is a taxi firm owner living in a run-down apartment. The story is a kind of complicated crime drama. Niko works his way through the crime network in search of one of the survivors.
At the end of the story, Niko finds the traitor and is given the choice of either killing him or sparing him.
At the very end, there are two endings, but in both ones, someone close to him dies, only serving to make him a harder man.
And in ACII, we'll consider the 'past' plot. It follows Ezio Auditore, a young Italian nobleman, who is eccentric, hyperactive and mischievous. His family is accused of treason and hanged. He totally changes into an inward, more serious character. He seeks revenge on the men who killed him, eventually finding the Pope, Rodrigo Borgia, at the center of the plot. When he finally has his chance, he chooses not to kill him, for it will not bring his family back.
Here are the stories, then the characters. The dynamic between Niko and Roman is amazing. Both completely different, contrasting characters. And also, the dynamic between Dimitri Rascalov and Mikhail Faustin. Simply awesome. Other awesomers include Patrick McReary, Pegorino and Brucie. Game interaction is amazing. Niko has a cellphone, through which we can arrange activities with friends, and it is very important to the story. This feature is awesome, but it can be annoying when friends always keep calling and your rating with them goes down when you refuse them.
Characters in ACII are also as colorful. Ezio is the showstopper, others include the Pope, Ezio's sister, etc.
The game redefines 'free-roam'. You can climb anything and everything, given there's something to hold on to. The fight system is boring. The characters and story are a plus. And the controls are very comfortable.
Well, it all sums up to this: A game is how you see it. 'killing', 'character driver', 'story driven, 'pointless', 'psychotic', whatever you think about it. Well Ezio DOES have his morals. The game's central theme, the creed, suggests that people who didn't do any wrong should not be killed.
I just wanted to tell you what I think about it, and that they are much more than just 'killing games' in my opinion.
And I'd like to stress it again, it is just my opinion.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

Oh, sorry, i tend to lump assasins creed and stuff you mentioned with stuff like black ops, warhammer and halo. I sort of agree with you, but nothing'll convince me that halo is not about killing (even if it is aliens or whatever).

Sorry for being superficial, it is generally my view, also, i've never played any of the games in question, so i only post by what the adverts for the games say (the adverts are about the killing bit even if the game isn't(i'm seriously over generalizing aren't i!))
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

Warhammer is more of a strategy game. You can't just lump it with call of duty, or Halo. COD and halo are definitely about shooting everything you see, but warhammer is more like age of empires, or possibly league of legends, or world of warcraft. assassin's creed is more of a role playing game, even if it does require killing some people. There is a difference between just plain, first person shooter games, and strategy, role playing, and other such games, which are less focused on violence, and killing people, and more of fulfilling specific objectives, wether killing or not, though assassins creed does jump across the strands, towards objectively killing, though it is not just shoot em' up. I think that the advertisements don't really do justice to the games, and that you really have to play them, to get a feel, for what the game is actually about. It really depends on what your tastes are.
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

I know. I can't really lump the computer games especially with COD but "space marines" did have one person coming into form with "oi've got the new fwarthammer game spacthe marincthe! Oi blathted out an orkth guths and it frew a noife at me!."
That was what it sounded like anyway.
If i seem insulting to this witness, he's actually quite friendly and only talks like that when he's exited. I may be being unbearably superficial now, but wh computer games aren't as good as the version with the painted models.
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Harpseal wrote:Eh:?: this may sound sad, but why would anyone stop posting? I get stuck so often, i would never really stop posting unless i stopped origami, because i get stuck so much. Maybe it's different for you leafpiece. (Me in my own little world, busy getting stuck)
I diappeared from this forum for about 2 years myself, so I can offer some insight as to why someone might do that.
I stopped visiting for a combination of reasons. The main two being that this forum is pretty slow, there just wasn't enough new content being posted to keep me checking back daily, and my own dedication to origami tends to wax and wane as the years go by. I never really stop folding, but sometimes it takes a back seat to other activities in my life. Things like video games, music, painting and so on.

Which leads us nicely into the topic at hand.
Favourite video games, man, I've got quite a few of those.
There was a fair bit of talk about Minecraft recently in this thread. I never really got into Minecraft, but there's another game with many similar gameplay elements that I love and have put a LOT of hours into. That's Terraria.
Minecraft is presented in a 3D first person perspective, while Terraria looks more like a classic 16-bit era 2D platformer.

Both games start by generating a big environment made out of blocks, then dump the player into the middle of it and leave them to fend for themselves.

In Terraria, you generally start off with standing on some grassy ground among some trees.
In your inventory you've got a few tools. A pickaxe for digging through the ground, an axe for chopping down trees, and a sword to defend yourself from wild animals.

What you do after that is all up to you.
You can wander around and explore the environment, dig down into the ground in search of treasure and precious metals, chop down some trees and build a house, the choice is yours.

The game features a day and night cycle, with in-game minutes passing in time with real-world seconds, so it isn't too long after you start playing that night falls for the first time.
At night the monsters come out. If you haven't spent some of the day building yourself a house or at least digging a hole to hide in, then you'll soon come up against zombies and evil flying eyeballs that want to kill you.
You can defend yourself with your sword, or even your pickaxe, but the night tends to drag on when you're constantly being assaulted by the forces of darkness, so it's generally a better idea to find somewhere to hide away until morning.

Every time you dig up a block of dirt, or chop down a tree, the block that you removed ends up in your inventory. From there, you can place them back into the world in whatever configuration you desire, and so build yourself a house, set up defensive walls, or whatever you want to do.

Another important aspect of the game is crafting. Once you've got some resources in your inventory, you can start combining them in different ways to produce objects. With wood you can make chairs, tables, walls, doors, and so on.
Wood plus gel (a resource aquired by killing slime monsters) can be used to make a torch, and torches plus stone can build you a forge. On and on the process goes until you're constructing improved tools and weapons, clothing, armour, chests to store your treasures in, chandeliers, thrones, jetpacks, laser guns and so on.

Digging deeper into the ground tends to uncover better and better resources, but you also run into more powerful monsters, and depending on where you explore, there are even boss monsters to overcome.

It's the kind of game that it's easy to sink a lot of hours into. You can sit down intending to just try it out, or spend a few minutes making some renovations to your house and before you know it five hours have passed and there's still that bit more that you want to do.
I've spent over 190 hours playing this game. It's at the top of my most-played games list on Steam.
The next item on the list is The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, which I've spent 150 hours in.
The Elder Scrolls series of games are another favourite of mine.

Another set of favourites for me are music games.
There are a few games that use your own music collection to generate the levels for you to play.

Audiosurf and Beat Hazard are my two favourite examples of this kind of game.
Audiosurf reads an MP3 file, and generates a sort of rollercoaster track from it.
You control a little spaceship shaped thing that rides along the track while your music plays. The parts when the music is slow and peaceful become slow uphill climbs, while the farster and more frantic sections are turned into fast downhill plunges. The gameplay aspect of Audiosurf is achieved through coloured blocks arranged on the track. Depending on the game mode you have to hit certain ones and avoid others.

Beat Hazard is a twin-stick shooter. Similar in gameplay to things like Geometry Wars or Super Stardust.
The musical twist is that the game reads your MP3 file and controls the speed, density and variety of enemies according to the music.

Another music game that I've really been getting into in the last 7 months or so is Rocksmith.
Rocksmith is similar to the famous Guitar Hero and Rock Band games, but instead of using a plastic controller shaped like a guitar, you use an actual guitar.
I've tried to learn guitar a couple of times before, but never got very far with it.
Now though, with the help of this game, I'm really getting the hang of it and improving a lot.
The game came with a decent selection of songs in it, but what's really great is that the company that made it keep releasing new songs for it. They tend to release a new song pack every two weeks, so there's never a lack of new songs for me to work on.
the modern einstein

Wait, you use your ipod as a gaming device?, or do you have an ipad, that you use for gaming? Because at least one of the games you just mentioned is for iOS.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

the modern einstein wrote:Wait, you use your ipod as a gaming device?, or do you have an ipad, that you use for gaming? Because at least one of the games you just mentioned is for iOS.
All the games I just mentioned are on PC, except Rocksmith, which is only on 360 and PS3 right now, coming to PC later this year.
Some of them might also be available for iOS, but I don't have an iDevice.
I've got an Android phone, which I play some simple games on, but nothing too amazing.
the modern einstein

Beat Hazard, and Audiosurf are both available for Iphone, Ipad, and Ipod
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

I have to say, after playing it over again, Pokemon Emerald is one of my favorite video games. But then again, all pokemon games are really good. On a non-portable system, my favorite is probably super mario 64, or modern warfare 1, 2, or 3. Oh, and ah, yes, Minecraft. Amazing game. if you haven't tried it - DO.

if you don't feel like paying $20, then you can go here and use a proxy to play offline for free.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

The Steam Summer Sale started today. Lots of games are heavily discounted, and there are new deals every day until the 22nd of July.

Of the games I mentioned before, Terraria and Audiosurf are both very cheap today.
The Binding of Isaac, Spacechem, VVVVVV, and Chthulhu Saves The World are some other games I'd highly recommend and which are on special too.