Paradise lost

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Morgan

Paradise lost

Post by Morgan »

Hello there... I have been reading some recent posts and threads, no need to say anymore about that, and it seems that some people have lost light of what it means to be able to be creative.

Not everyone in the world CAN be creative, and it kind of is a responsibility for us to hold it above other things, like respect, and trivial things like verbal or written communication. The art form is special, not on a human moral or uhmm oh what is the word I am loking for.... it goes beyond culture? No that's not it... it goes beyond human ways of acting because of other humans, like saying thank you and please.. these things are important, but not really, we made them up to make us feel better, they really don't do anything else except let us know that the other person is thinking about us in a respectful and compassionate way, but they are nothing but words, manners.

We receive these ideas and inspirations to share with others, not elevate ourselfs above everyone. It is like these guys who take martial arts and try to be the best ever, perfecting the form, showing off, breaking boards, dancing with swords, and in their mind they are the most elite the best the uber human. But the purpose of martial arts is personal centering, becoming one with the universe, not conquring it. (and of course physical and mental training for war) it's the same with Origami, become one with the Origami universe, not eleveating yourself into the clouds of misjudgment.

Thats all I mean... that if we don't respect our craft, it will go away, at least in a loving way, and it will turn into politics and rhedoric. I don't want that. And what is worse, most readers will think I am a hippy preaching love and understanding, and that is sad that those traits are looked down on. And I am not a hippy :shock:
wolf
Forum Sensei

Re: Paradise lost

Post by wolf »

Morgan wrote:I have been reading some recent posts and threads, no need to say anymore about that, and it seems that some people have lost light of what it means to be able to be creative.
It's often the vocal minority (and really usually minority) that you hear the loudest, whether online or offline. For every such nasty blowup, I can quote you at least three different instances where folders have been creative and willing to share that with the world.
Morgan wrote:Not everyone in the world CAN be creative, and it kind of is a responsibility for us to hold it above other things, like respect, and trivial things like verbal or written communication.
I'll disagree with that - my belief is that all humans have a basic level of creativity, which, at that level, should be considered as a problem-solving skill. It's part of being a sentient lifeform, and goes all the way back when the first ur-human picked up a stick and used it to club tigers.
Morgan wrote:we made them up to make us feel better, they really don't do anything else except let us know that the other person is thinking about us in a respectful and compassionate way
Not everyone does "Art(tm)" to show and share with others. For some, this is just done as a form of personal pleasure and as a way of soaking up free time. :)
Morgan wrote:We receive these ideas and inspirations to share with others, not elevate ourselfs above everyone.
On the other hand, competitiveness and one-upmanship have been the driving forces of technology and progress throughout human history. Straightforward survival of the fittest.
Morgan wrote:But the purpose of martial arts is personal centering, becoming one with the universe, not conquring it. (and of course physical and mental training for war)
Doesn't the "Physical and mental training for war" part contradict your earlier statement about not elevating oneselves above others? That's what war is - elevating one nation above the other, just on a larger scale. So there's still an ulterior motive for doing martial arts after all...
Morgan wrote:And I am not a hippy.
Kid, you're too young to be one. :D
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

First i would like to say thanks for reading my thingy :) ok so on now
For every such nasty blowup, I can quote you at least three different instances where folders have been creative and willing to share that with the world.
that is true, i was lost in rant and had not even thought about the milllions of people who remain quietest and calmest when things are nutty. those good people should be commended, and that is sort of one of my points. The good people are never heard and the weird ones who yell alot get heard....its the same way at work, the ones who complain get what they want, and those of us who just want to do our job well and reamin quiet get nothing. that is just how the world works for right now at least >:D
I'll disagree with that - my belief is that all humans have a basic level of creativity, which, at that level, should be considered as a problem-solving skill
ok so i should rephrase what i said a little maybe...anyone CAN be creative, but it takes special people to one realize what the suggestions are in your head, and two bring it forth into something productive. everyone hears these things in their minds, but very few persue the imagination part of it, so alot of times it fizzles out and nothing is done, although many hear the bells ringing loud and can transcribe the song they sing perfectly...its all a matter of if you want to, rather than can i guess.
On the other hand, competitiveness and one-upmanship have been the driving forces of technology and progress throughout human history. Straightforward survival of the fittest.
that raises the question, is technology correct? has progression really brought us closer to the goal? i mean without cars we could not travel long distances true, but we would not need gas, or traffic jams, or horns, or tires, massive industries headed by money hungry (and there are not many who are not, why would you want a buisness that did not make money, especially such a consumer based one) and that is but one of thousands of inventions to "help" man along....didnt we live, and i dont give a hoot about comfortable because that is nothing more than a mindset..., so didnt we live for thousands <maybe millions> of years without even houses?
Doesn't the "Physical and mental training for war" part contradict your earlier statement about not elevating oneselves above others?

yes it does, but i dont like war very much, and alas...as contradictory as it may be....the martial arts are just that...condtradictory, that is depending on whom you talk to.
Kid, you're too young to be one.
hehe maybe i am a drippy :P
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Morgan wrote:First i would like to say thanks for reading my thingy :) ok so on now
You're welcome - hey, once I thought like that too, so now I see it as my civic duty to stamp out idealism whenever I encounter it. :)
anyone CAN be creative, but it takes special people to one realize what the suggestions are in your head
Special, or lucky? Quite a lot of folks on his planet do not have such opportunities to pursue their ideas; a large majority are too busy trying to survive and provide for themselves and their families. So it's really much sadder when those who have the means and opportunity do not seek to use them. Laziness is a dominant trait in humans. :D
that raises the question, is technology correct? has progression really brought us closer to the goal?
Without technology, we'll probably not be the dominant species on this planet right now, having the luxury of chatting about whether technology is correct or not. Perhaps one of the early plagues would have completely wiped out mankind, had it not been for basic sanitation and medicine. Origami certainly wouldn't have been invented, let alone all the fancy papers we see these days.
yes it does, but i dont like war very much, and alas...as contradictory as it may be....the martial arts are just that...condtradictory, that is depending on whom you talk to.
Martial arts originated as a means of warfare, nothing more. The mysticism surrounding it is just another means of reducing the bitterness of the pill, much like the whole 'glory and honor to fight for your country' business. It can be turned into art, obviously, just like one can appreciate the smoothness and handling of a well-made rifle - but these again are luxuries by those who do not have to fight for their survival.
hehe maybe i am a drippy :P
Yep. Don't worry, it'll wear off, then you'll get old and cynical and enter hippyhood. :D