stories with origami

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
smoKing

stories with origami

Post by smoKing »

Hello everyone

I fold very often, even outside of my home

very often I fold while I drive to work, last week I fold a kawasaki rose. a young girl ask me, what i doing
I replied, "Give me a few minutes"
I finished folded and gave her the rose, she smiled and said "wow thanks, that's really cool"

Another time I was at the birthday celebration of the daughter of my sister invited the little knew that I fold and has a paper-painted very colorful, and thought I should make a kite
Shortly afterwards I was allowed to make one for each child :D

you have experienced something similar with origami probably know this?
[°.°]
>[]< get your own nickbot,
_/ \_copy and paste into your signature
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Re: stories with origami

Post by Razzmatazz »

In science class in grade 8, we were learning about buoyancy and we had a piece of tinfoil we had to make boats out of with ONLY the foil. So everyone else started to crumple it and make a round donut shaped floating thing, but I made a square and folded it into an origami boat. Later we floated them and piled weights in them and my boat never sank where as everyone else's did. It was awesome.

I also worked this past summer at an art school and I made one of the little girls a kawasaski rose and soon enough I had to make 20 others :P
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

yesterday i made an ancient dragon, and took it to school. then my friend was like "what are you gonna do with that slater (: ?" then i had to give it to her lol
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
Iwvi

Post by Iwvi »

I also like folding a lot while outside, normally I fold paper i find on the floor or stuff, when i finish I leave it where I know (or I think) someone would find it. Once I made Kamiya's Pegasus with a newspaper piece and left it over a teable in a mall, later that day a friend of mine told me, "look what i found!" and showed me the same pegasus, I was amazed it was the firs and only time someone I know has found (and told me) one of my folds.
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

haha nice ^
in school i was bored one day so i started to make a ryujin scale tesselation. i got bored later so i left it in my first period class and a few hours later my friend (who was not in the same first period class as me) pulled it out of his pocket and gave it to me :P and my friend showed me a geo cashing spot one time and there was an origami inside. it was wet though so i couldn't tell what it was.
redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by redheadorigami »

Man, you guys are lucky, the best ill get is a "how did you make that???"
With me replying "You dont want to know...."
"Violence isn't the answer but it's always a good start."
-JeossMayhem
oz

Post by oz »

You just need to make it a bit more mysterious... "How did you make that?" "One fold at a time."

I don't have any stories, per se, just the giving of a LaFosse dollar bill butterfly to a waitress as a tip, which spawned an hour's long conversation. I live a boring life. :)
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

whenever someone asks me how i made it something i just say " i took a square and folded the hell out of it"
Iwvi

Post by Iwvi »

I use to answer the quiestion with 2 types of answers:
Common one: "just folded a square of paper"
Miyagi one: "To turn a piece of paper into whatever is in your mind, you need to have the 4 "P's", this stand for: Patience, Perseverance, Practise, and of course Paper!" :D
redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by redheadorigami »

(inhales)
PAPER. :mrgreen:
"Violence isn't the answer but it's always a good start."
-JeossMayhem
Pop pop

Post by Pop pop »

redheadorigami wrote:Man, you guys are lucky, the best ill get is a "how did you make that???"
With me replying "You dont want to know...."
same here
orislater wrote:haha nice ^
in school i was bored one day so i started to make a ryujin scale tesselation. i got bored later so i left it in my first period class and a few hours later my friend (who was not in the same first period class as me) pulled it out of his pocket and gave it to me :P and my friend showed me a geo cashing spot one time and there was an origami inside. it was wet though so i couldn't tell what it was.
just unfold it and look at the crease pattern
My youtube account please check it out.
http://www.youtube.com/user/thefolder1? ... sults_main
kevin89

Post by kevin89 »

One time I folded a 5 dollar bill into a pineapple while waiting in line or something. When I went to go pay for whatever I bought, I went to unfold it, but the way it is folded I had to be careful not to rip it, so it took forever... and the lady at the cash register was glaring at me, or giving me some weird look (I personally didn't notice her looking at me, I was too busy unfolding to notice, but my friends told me about it later)

I have also leave/ have left folded things places, but I've never had anyone find them and show them to me :(
The most important thing for me is the direct observation of nature in its light-filled existence. -August Macke
Sroge4

Post by Sroge4 »

I was at a birthday party for a relative of mine, and one of my little cousins had gotten a paper airplane kit. I told him I was really good at origami. Long story short, I had to make fifty-thousand paper airplanes for little children.
Scifimom

Post by Scifimom »

I am mostly a lurker here, especially now that I have finals and not a lot of time. But all my friends know that I fold, I also carry scraps of paper with me all the time, Last Saturday I folded a crane for a little girl who was crying in the park (mostly to make her shut up) her older sister saw the crane and asked for a butterfly, a kid nearby saw the butterfly and asked for a flower, by the time I left the park I had folded about 60 models. I run out of paper in the middle and I had parents ripping newspapers and notebook pages for their chldren.

Last year while visiting LA I stayed with a friends family. An afternoon her kids had a playdate and got bored, I taught them to make a simple swan and then a lotus flower out of a napkin, the next day ten parents called and asked if I could repeat the workshop in their school (I did)

PS I leave models on places also, especially on bus stops and park benches
Iwvi

Post by Iwvi »

I had another interesting story,I was just folding at my grandma's house, my cousin was there and some friends of her (around the age of 7-10, i don't know) and my cousin said "he is very good at folding things"(she doesn't seem to know the word origami), the kids started asking me to do stuff, first a cat, then a if i could do a pokemon, and one of them asked me for a gun :?, I did made the gun for him (one that has a revolver like thingy)

It was funny :) but I was not expecting for them to ask for guns :shock: