How do you use the symmetry option in ORIPA?

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
newbpcpfolder

How do you use the symmetry option in ORIPA?

Post by newbpcpfolder »

Hello,
I am having problems with using the symmetry option in Oripa. I know I can make the same lines on the other side again, but It'll take double the time and effort......How do you use the symmetry option? I used to know, but lost the hang of it. It says "Mirror Copy. pick Target segments and Ctrl-Click for base segment". I don't understand how you do this..........

Re: How do you use the symmetry option in ORIPA?

Post by 966623 »

First, you need to draw the line you want to mirror things over. Then you click all the lines you want to mirror. Then you ctrl-click the line of reflection. If you don't want the line of reflection in the final product, just delete it later.
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

Um........you mean, like, if it's book symmetric, the midline, if it's diagonally symmetric, the diagonal which divides into two, am I right?
Falcifer

Post by Falcifer »

That's right.

Assuming that you've filled in half the CP, which has book symmetry, then you would select all the lines that you've done (you can use the "Select" tool and click-and-drag to select them, or press Ctrl+A). Then hold down the Ctrl button and click on the center line.

As mentioned above, you can delete the center line later, if it's not part of the actual CP, although using the "Aux" line may be a better way to do it. That way you still have the line (just in case you need it), and if you want to take a screenshot of the final CP to share, you have the option to hide the auxiliary lines.
newbpcpfolder

Post by newbpcpfolder »

i apologize for the late reply, i haven't been here in a long, long time.
thanks for the help you've done!