What age did you start folding?

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
JamesOrigami490

Re: What age did you start folding?

Post by JamesOrigami490 »

Everyone's beautiful stories about discovering origami for the first time are making me tear up.Image
Hi! I'm James, in 7th grade, and an avid paperfolder/writer.
My imgur
My Website
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

What's your story, James? I'd like to hear it. :D
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
origamifan11

Post by origamifan11 »

I started when I was 12 with a school competition. I only took it seriously about 9 months later and here I am. I also got very interested in paper planes about a year ago. My record is 60m outside (i'm not making this up).
About to start start Ryujin (test-folding at the moment)
My Old Flickr
My New Flickr
JWorigamist

Post by JWorigamist »

I started folding when I was 7 I got serious about it when I was 10.
Ouch! Are you okay? Well...let's see.. advanced box-pleating techniques, Satoshi Kamiya, yeah I'm good. If you fall down nine times get up ten times.
peta_lien

Post by peta_lien »

i started folding about 3 years ago so 9
Dre313dog

Post by Dre313dog »

:mrgreen: I started with airplanes as a kid, but really got hooked when i bought my first book by Rick Beech. I was hooked like an addict folding everything i could get my hands on napkins towels newspaper ads,regular paper, and whatever diagram i could find and understand. And I feel I am progressing with every fold. :wink:
=D> Has anyone notice Origami helps with developing Patience! 8)
I Love Origami!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Dear Dre313dog,

I quote from our Forum Rules and Regulations:
Members should post in a way which is consistent with "normal writing". That is users should not post excessive numbers of emoticons, large, small or coloured text, etc. Similarly users should not SHOUT or use excessive punctuation (e.g. ! and ?) in topic titles or posts.
Please be so good and use normal writing for your upcoming posts.
Dre313dog

Post by Dre313dog »

Didn't mean it any way just typing what origami has done for me
Nepafarius

Post by Nepafarius »

I honestly cannot remember when I first started folding origami. My mother got me started. I stopped folding for about three year during highschool. Then in junior year I was so bored with class I took out a piece of paper and created my first model. I've been slowly trying to improve my skills for the past five years (compared to my age my designing ability is relatively low). But I like taking my time to understand origami on my own and in my own way, even if that means I can't make models just yet.
kex_er

Post by kex_er »

I've started folding when i was 11. I think that the first thing i've ever folded was paper airplane :) Then i was folding a lot of modular origami but after 1 , 2 years i got bored. I tried something harder at first from videos on youtube. Then i bought same origami books and finally i've started to fold from cp. Now I've had a few months break from origami but I'm coming back :D
My flickr

Sorry for my bad english
EM origami

Post by EM origami »

I started folding at the age of 5. :mrgreen:
- EM origami
raden_pak_1217

Post by raden_pak_1217 »

I think I was 4 when I made my first paper airplane.
I sort of did origami as a hobby until I was 14ish.
I designed many paper airplanes since, but I wish to leave that behind now and design different subjects.
NeverCeaseToCrease
Forum Sensei

Post by NeverCeaseToCrease »

I started when I was I think 3 or 4 and my brother was either in kindergarten or first grade. He had a small pack of 6 inch kami with some instructions and after folding a few models declared himself "the king of origami." I was a competetive little brother and borrowed some paper to fold the models he couldn't. I've been doing origami since.
PleatBox

Post by PleatBox »

I was doing simple pieces way back when I was a kid, like the fortune teller, planes, and the boat. It wasn't until around 7 - 8 years ago when I got interested. I saw my friend fold a shuriken and he was nice enough to give it to me. Went home and searched it on youtube, that's when I saw other recommendations like the crane. There were also youtubers who do origami tutorials so it helped me a lot. Then I saw a video about the magic ball, it looked so amazing I just had to try it. I spent days folding that thing and kept failing. That's the time when I learned to make precise, hard creases, after I learned that, I can fold the magic ball every time perfectly.

I remember seeing the ancient dragon, I thought to myself, "I'll fold that someday". Then just about a year ago, I was able to fold it with a 70 cm double tissue paper. I was so proud, I can't believe I went this far. There are times when I feel pissed because I can't fold things good enough, but I keep coming back to folding origami anyways :)