Origami rage stories

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
Sroge4

Origami rage stories

Post by Sroge4 »

Anyone here have anything (preferably to do with origami, but they can be about anything) that really makes you mad?

Here's an example: Whenever I tell people I do origami, they say "Oh yeah! I'm AMAZING at origami! Here, I can fold a crane!" Ugh. This happens so many times.

Also, here's a review on Amazon for Jun Maekawa's book:

"i bought this for y 16 year old that can make up origami stuff he can do anything wwith origami but when we but this bk he culdnt do nothing with he lked inside and was like this book was too hard for me and hes a 16 year old tht is a master at origami this book is awfull."

I really hope this person isn't serious.
fncll

Re: Origami rage stories

Post by fncll »

As a struggling beginner, I suffer from origami rage occasionally, like when I finally got a nice-looking Phizz unit bucky-ball made with proper color pattern and someone picked it up off my desk and simultaneously asked "did you glue this together?" and pulled it apart right in front of me.

And since you mentioned Maekawa (I love his book... wish he would do more), after my 10th try to get the sink right in the giraffe model in his book and finally the paper became too soft too fold from my monkey-pawed machinations... and it's only the 4th model in the book!
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

There's always the "oh you do this with your kindergarden kid"-question/insinuation by the visiting ignoramus pointing at your Kamiya Mammuth or your latest design... Yep. 'Cause I can't do it myself, but my kids are teaching me...
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

I teach the difference: on each festival workshop or seminal, I have the exhibition and folding table. Many people, of course, would like to fold the models from the exhibition. I say: "You cannot fold this modern art here, it is too complicated. You can fold just these kid toys here." Everyone starts to think about the difference.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
Axel´s Origami

Post by Axel´s Origami »

'Bout a week ago, I was sitin' in my room and I had a marvelous idea: I was going to fold LaFosses alligator. From a 52 cm square of medium thin paper. I spent around 2 hrs on pre-creasing that bitch and then colapssed the scales. Then I started folding the body. Didn't work very well. Re-read the diagrams. Turns out you should use a 180 cm square of thin paper. So I start folding Hoang Trung Thanh's eagle. Once again I used too thick and too small papper. 10$ of paper wasted.

But I'm not sure this story belongs here though, for I did not enter rage-mode. I never do.
Washi

Post by Washi »

fncll wrote:As a struggling beginner, I suffer from origami rage occasionally, like when I finally got a nice-looking Phizz unit bucky-ball made with proper color pattern and someone picked it up off my desk and simultaneously asked "did you glue this together?" and pulled it apart right in front of me.
I know how you feel; I once folded a rather nice looking Ancient Dragon, around a month ago. I was like in my "put sunglasses on and yell "YEAAAAH" like a badass" mode. Then my friend came over and said "Wow... is this one sheet of paper?"

I say yes.

And then he proceeds to *try* to unfold it. I went into shock mode. When the paper ripped in half because he tried to unfold and pulled on a locked part... well.

I guess I'll say, it didn't end well. >8C
Ondrej.Cibulka
Buddha

Post by Ondrej.Cibulka »

Try to unfold Ancient dragon?! OK people are strange. When someone touch or pick up my models from exhibition possition I am at the same time on foots and very clearly note that it is just for looking.
Ondrej Cibulka Origami, www.origamido.cz
polistes
Forum Sensei

Post by polistes »

hey axel where are the diagrams for the alligator?
redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by redheadorigami »

polistes wrote:hey axel where are the diagrams for the alligator?
Origami Art by Michael Lafosse.
"Violence isn't the answer but it's always a good start."
-JeossMayhem
polistes
Forum Sensei

Post by polistes »

cool thank you
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

i get origami rage sometimes... like when my ryujin ripped (it was more like shock mode) or when i fold a super tiny crane and someone takes it and throws it (annoyed mode) or when people steal roses i make during class and give them to ugly gross girls and say i made it for them (mad mode) i was folding pavel's wasp equestrian and it ripped while i was fixing a spread squash (pissed mode i was on a really high step and that wasp is VERY hard) my friends have put my origami down sinks and turned on the garbage disposal and bit my origamis in half but i dont think i have reached rage mode yet. i think that would be when i fold ryujin 3.5 and someone sets it on fire or something...
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
LeafPiece

Post by LeafPiece »

Gosh slater, why do your friends hate origami so much? lol
orislater
Buddha

Post by orislater »

hahaha idk XD
my flickr tissue foil is for noobs! mc FTW!!!!
godnomis

Post by godnomis »

hah ,when i was young i make a tree with 64 Kawasaki roses, 400 hours, and if some one even touched it , i would focus my emotion and give my death stare, lol made most people jump, but now ,i dont care.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity."
redheadorigami
Forum Sensei

Post by redheadorigami »

godnomis wrote:hah ,when i was young i make a tree with 64 Kawasaki roses, 400 hours, and if some one even touched it , i would focus my emotion and give my death stare, lol made most people jump, but now ,i dont care.
I wish I could make people jump by staring at them...
"Violence isn't the answer but it's always a good start."
-JeossMayhem