Over-posting

Place all non-origami related posts in here; films, food, your life etc.
topsu

Re: Over-posting

Post by topsu »

phillipcurl wrote:useless posts don't. the bandwidth does. if they go over bandwidth for the month, lets say its 300 gb, (not sure), and if Boss's posts are each 2 words then that averages about 8-15 bytes per post. then you add in the signature and title, information on the right, etc, we are around maybe 100 bytes per post. 1 letter = 1 byte approximately.

sooo anyway, with the ammount of posts this forum receives each month, and i'm certain the bandwidth is much more than what i said (300 gb is about 30000000000 bytes), then Boss's posts barely make a dent.
That's probably true, but I wouldn't go on a post rampage as it encourages new members to do so too.
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

then Boss's posts barely make a dent.
well...wait... thats of course only half the truth.
a thread will be transfered to every one of the users that open it. so lets keep the 100 bytes worth of posting trash. if anybody is clicking the link, that 100 bye posting trash is transfered to the person that was clicking the link. so if 1000 users open a thread, the system produces 1 thousand times that useless bandwidth.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

true, i forgot that part.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

It's also driving readers away. I have little interest in the forum these days, given that the majority of the posts are one-liners which uselessly bump current and older threads.
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
TheRealChris

Post by TheRealChris »

I'm a mod of this board since 2003 and always thought we did a good job because we are still running a good visited board. we always tried to keep the board adult and away from those coloured blinking useless signatures and the dick-swinging-competitions. I still delete too useless postings like some of the new users did lately just to boost up their posting count (and I don't only mean the boss with this) even if some users think this isn't right. but what makes me think about leaving the board since a couple of weeks is the sad fact that I only get beaten by the users. in opposite to those users I have a real life next to the board, I have a job and a social life to live and friends that appreciate my opinion. I'm 40 years old now, and maybe I'm getting old, but I really have better things to do than explaining myself to people.
the only reason why I didn't leave is, that Anna and Gerwin are pretty busied these days, and I'm very sure this board will die within a couple of months without them. they are adult and worthy humans that could take good care of this board. call me an idiot but this board is somehow like a child of mine. I was the 16th user of this board back in 2003 and I'm one of only a few active ones of those days (I was really surprised when I saw that rockmanex6 is still active :-) ).
I feel that I dont have any rear-cover and because of that I think its time to move on. people doesn't seem to appreceate the work that we moderators do and maybe this board is old enough to be given to the kids. maybe it need more colour... maybe it needs blinking signatures and more postings like "thanks" and "no" and "right"... maybe it needs 20 topics about the ancient dragon and a dozend more about already existing models. but in this case my time is over here. I only feel sad for Anna and Gerwin.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

^ i completely agree with that.
i always feel bad when people take out they're anger on you guys, i actually think you guys are doing a very good job of moderating. I pray every night this forum won't turn into the atrocity that the vietnamese forums are...filled with advertising, every other user is a mod, too coloury, blah blah blah.
Don't leave Chris :(
if you leave this place will die because snkhan is barely active, anna and gerwin are always busy. I really don't want that because then i'll have to move to another forum :L
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
polistes
Forum Sensei

Post by polistes »

phillipcurl wrote:^ i completely agree with that.
i always feel bad when people take out they're anger on you guys, i actually think you guys are doing a very good job of moderating. I pray every night this forum won't turn into the atrocity that the vietnamese forums are...filled with advertising, every other user is a mod, too coloury, blah blah blah.
Don't leave Chris :(
if you leave this place will die because snkhan is barely active, anna and gerwin are always busy. I really don't want that because then i'll have to move to another forum :L
i agree with this totally
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

It must be a tough job as a moderator, because almost all the positive stuff you do is behind the scenes and not directly evident to the users of the board. But the indirect results are evident - the forum is a friendly, spam-free place and I am sure far tidier than it would otherwise be. So please don't feel unappreciated - you do a great job.
topsu

Post by topsu »

You can't keep a forum 'adult' for ages if it becomes popular. That's pretty much a fact and it's something that needs to be accepted. Heck, I came here very young (not saying I'm not still young) And I've done many useless posts. Encouragement is needed for the younger ones to behave and contribute correctly, but you can't really push a dominant group in the internet away.
Chris, I appreciate your work and I understand if you don't feel like continuing. Apart from problems with moderating the forums afterwards, I see no problem with it. It's your life, enjoy it as you wish!
fncll

Post by fncll »

In my experience, the best moderation is the moderation that isn't--outside of exceptional cases--apparent to most users. It's like a well-tuned machine that you don't even notice is operating until something goes out of alignment. So it stands to reason that most don't think to say thank you or recognize the efforts you surely must go through. So, for my part: thanks! And I hope you re-think leaving... this forum is a great (and unique) resource and community... but I certainly can understand why you might choose to!
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

i had a read through my posts, and omg they are deleted! then i looked at this board. now i understand.
Argonaut

Post by Argonaut »

TheRealChris wrote:I'm a mod of this board since 2003 and always thought we did a good job because we are still running a good visited board. we always tried to keep the board adult and away from those coloured blinking useless signatures and the dick-swinging-competitions. I still delete too useless postings like some of the new users did lately just to boost up their posting count (and I don't only mean the boss with this) even if some users think this isn't right. but what makes me think about leaving the board since a couple of weeks is the sad fact that I only get beaten by the users. in opposite to those users I have a real life next to the board, I have a job and a social life to live and friends that appreciate my opinion. I'm 40 years old now, and maybe I'm getting old, but I really have better things to do than explaining myself to people.
the only reason why I didn't leave is, that Anna and Gerwin are pretty busied these days, and I'm very sure this board will die within a couple of months without them. they are adult and worthy humans that could take good care of this board. call me an idiot but this board is somehow like a child of mine. I was the 16th user of this board back in 2003 and I'm one of only a few active ones of those days (I was really surprised when I saw that rockmanex6 is still active :-) ).
I feel that I dont have any rear-cover and because of that I think its time to move on. people doesn't seem to appreceate the work that we moderators do and maybe this board is old enough to be given to the kids. maybe it need more colour... maybe it needs blinking signatures and more postings like "thanks" and "no" and "right"... maybe it needs 20 topics about the ancient dragon and a dozend more about already existing models. but in this case my time is over here. I only feel sad for Anna and Gerwin.
Please don't leave. I appreciate what you do as a moderator and would be greatly saddened if you left. I used so follow Wolf's blog and it was one of my main inspirations. However, every time I think of her, it makes me sad that she left. I don't want that to be you. You may not get much vocalization of this but you are appreciated.
Eat. Sleep. Fold Paper.
the modern einstein

Post by the modern einstein »

Same here, I feel that if this place was not moded properly it wouldn't be the same. mind you, since i've been here it has changed somewhat. there used to be people who would come along, and give their honest opinions about your models, and it used to start off really good conversations, even if some of them caused a lot of people to make me an enemy (I'm not sure, but whenever I post, no one awnsers anymore). Now the forum just seems pretty dead to me. I supose being away from it for long periods does that to you. I used to come here to share my models and discuss them, and be able to talk about origami to other enthusiasts, and enjoy it. Where have all those enthusiasts gone? It makes me sick for what the forum was like before, as a place i could enjoy. I supose I was using the forum before a lot of the original users left, and in comparison to now, there is no-one out there who shares the same tastes in origami that i do. It's all got to be supercomplex, and with some unusual paper. where is just folding for fun, and not to show off? So in some ways, therealchris may be quite right about leaving now, though i think it would be better if he did not, for the sake of people like me, who were here when users like wolf were still posting. Where did the word association game go? where did all the robert lang folders go? I just don't get it. I personally think it's because this forum has become the domain of people who fold professionally, or are really serious origamists, and not those who fold casually and for fun, like me, though i still detect those people out there, hiding somewhere.
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Unfortunately, I agree with the RealChris. Sometimes this Forum sounds like a set of teenage tweets, rather than an exploration and celebration of the art of Origami. Although I applaud the folks who have grown significantly in their ability to create new designs, for continued growth, this community will have to self-monitor with both discipline and diplomacy.

The question is not the quality of the Origami, but the quality of sharing and conversation. I haven't run the statistics, but I feel that the number of posts - "Here is a new technique I found, let me show you how" is much much smaller percentage-wise than "Hey, look at my new CP" or "Can someone show me where to find and fold this CP?" It's a subtle shift from art appreciation to a vanity board.

For the next month, read the posts and see if you learn more about origami or about the social lives of the posters. There's nothing wrong with a social network, plenty exist. This is your Forum, decide which focus is more important, because a concentration on both, dilutes both.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

HankSimon wrote:Unfortunately, I agree with the RealChris. Sometimes this Forum sounds like a set of teenage tweets, rather than an exploration and celebration of the art of Origami. Although I applaud the folks who have grown significantly in their ability to create new designs, for continued growth, this community will have to self-monitor with both discipline and diplomacy.

The question is not the quality of the Origami, but the quality of sharing and conversation. I haven't run the statistics, but I feel that the number of posts - "Here is a new technique I found, let me show you how" is much much smaller percentage-wise than "Hey, look at my new CP" or "Can someone show me where to find and fold this CP?" It's a subtle shift from art appreciation to a vanity board.

For the next month, read the posts and see if you learn more about origami or about the social lives of the posters. There's nothing wrong with a social network, plenty exist. This is your Forum, decide which focus is more important, because a concentration on both, dilutes both.
I agree with this...

a lot of the newer users (i don't include me as "new user" because i have been reading on this forum since 2008 and most of the time don't make useless posts) make useless posts, like bragging about their new status upgrade or some sh!t like that. nothing useful.

and yes, I will admit that i sometimes neglect to use the search button and make a post that has already been made, but usually, i do not.

i just think that a lot of younger, unintelligent children are starting to use the internet (no offense to any of the younger users here, i'm not just stamping a tag on all younger children) and are thinking "hey ima go troll this forum hahahahaha penis hahaha lulz ima hax0r"... then they sign up and don't do anything useful whatsoever.

when I signed up on this forum 5 months ago, i'll admit i didn't really do anything useful for my first 15 or so posts. i just wanted to get my status above "newbie". but then, i realized that it was actually fun to participate and help people, not just try and upgrade my status
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip