Phillip1847

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Phillip1847

Phillip1847

Post by Phillip1847 »

I was about to post this in a different section, but it seems like it may belong here.

A. The computational Lobster

So yesterday I got on the computer I'm typing this on, pull up treemaker, and have a spin at it. I created a lobster.
Normally, I just screw around with treemaker, but today I felt like DOING something with it, so I opened reference finder..... and found all the important points, and folded and marked them on a 12" sheet of horribly colored foil. Naturally, I didn't notice it would have to be foily side up because... you can't write on foil. Result:
Thats a lot of creases on the left side huh?
So I connected them with M/V and drew them(I would never see them otherwise).
Note: I think theres a problem with the M/V assignment on treemaker on the left side(distorted bird base, part is assymetrical to the other side. 3 Vs in a row)

This took a surprisingly long time.
Then, I started to collapse....
Sorry for the glare, I was focusing on folding.
After much untangling and sinking, I got the points thinned down.
And after a bit of shaping, shifting, sinking, spread sinking, swiveling, and crimping:

It needs to be shaped. I can't put ridges on the tail, the paper is ripping.

B. Hercules Beetle, designed by Lang.
Origamido is a dream paper.

C. Deer head
Simple, designed by me. I have the CP drawn out somewhere, laying around.

Thats all.
Common sense is not that common.
Phillip1847

Re: Phillip1847

Post by Phillip1847 »

Today I was in an experimental mood, so I folded for maybe 2 hours and ended up with a phoenixish thing:

It has some serious issues, however. Most notably, there is basically no detail in the head, and the toes & legs are way to big. So is the river between the legs and the wings. Its also very thick.
I do like it for the way it was created however. If I can explain this: It is 2 60-120-120-60 rhombuses overlapping at one corner creating a 90 degree angle, imposed on the square. I then attempted to fold a straight skeleton from the resulting polygon, and with a lot of difficult maneuvers, created toes and larger wings along with a head flap.
I might end up drawing diagrams for this, who knows. It needs to be restructured, but its original structure was so smooth I don't know if I'll do that.
Benlewisorigami

Post by Benlewisorigami »

Intersting lobster! I feel like if you used some better paper, it would look great :D
I would rather fail trying than fail without trying....

My flickr :D http://www.flickr.com/photos/89213771@N06/
Eamon

Post by Eamon »

Good folds! I I think refolding that phoenix with larger thinner paper (along with some wet finishing) would allow much more detail. You have good designs.
My flickr. http://www.flickr.com/photos/93038503@N06/
My forum gallery. http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11416
Constructive criticism is appreciated as well as encouraged.
Phillip1847

Post by Phillip1847 »

Thanks. I drew the CP by hand(Except the head. I seriously have no freaking clue how the head folds out CP-wise. Hint: Note the rabbit ear on each side near the toes, that forces some implied folds and eventually you get a strip grafted preliminary base.)
However, the sinks in the middle are NOT to scale. They are representational. It should be divided into 8 parts for 16 sections.
Sorry if its unclear. The toe reference points are right angles, and a diagonal to the half mark.

Meanwhile, I added a nice fat graft to the design, which will improve the head. I do need to get the toes sorted out, however.

Edit: 25k'th post in gallery forum.
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Oh hi, other Phillip :)
Welcome to the forum. You got some great stuff in here, keep up the good work buddy.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

that lobster CP looks insanely cool! :D is it ok if i download it? I might actually fold it!