Max Kopinsky's Gallery

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
satoshifan

Max Kopinsky's Gallery

Post by satoshifan »

Well, I recently started designing my own models! (currently my designing power is limited to box pleating, any help with radial designs like the professional folders use?)

Unfortunately, box pleating is fairly limited to insects because 3d models like that griffin I want to design have all these pleats on the side that don't look nice. However, welcome to post #1, my camel spider 1.1! Designed for a teacher who surprisingly loves bugs.

Here is the CP (I know it's not perfect I'm still learning how to use adobe illustrator, just constrain the lines to the grid and 45 degrees), and I will post pictures as soon as I can fold it from tissue foil because otherwise the long front and back legs can't be shaped properly and the other six just flap in the air because they can't reach the ground LOL.
Camel-Spider-CP by Metropolisisawesome, on Flickr

General folding instructions: Once all the creases are on the paper, the crease closest to the edge color side up is a mountain crease, work inwards for the rest.Where the creases make a K shape with a line through it (The points of the lowest 3 diamonds) just push that point into the pleats in front of it.
Points: Top corners are front legs. Bottom corners are back legs. The edge points of the four edge diamonds are short legs. The 3 points along the diamond line will become 2 of the shorter legs and one center flap that is unnecessary, I just folded it into the neck pleat (you'll see when I post the picture).There is also a pleated square structure along the back that makes the model foldable, again you'll see in the pictures.
I'm pretty sure that the base here is flat foldable, but don't bother with it. Just collapse until you can see what each flap is, and then shape from there.
"You have not failed. You have simply found one thousand things that don't work. Therefore, you are one thousand things closer to finding something that will"
~Thomas Edison
satoshifan

Re: Max Kopinsky's Gallery

Post by satoshifan »

Camel Spider 1.1 pictures have arrived!

Folded with 18x18 inch (~45 cm) red tissue foil. If you fold with paper other than tissue foil, you won't be able to shape the front and back legs, meaning the other six will just flap in the air like idiots. #-o

Well, Await more designs!
"You have not failed. You have simply found one thousand things that don't work. Therefore, you are one thousand things closer to finding something that will"
~Thomas Edison