Picaruelo

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
picaruelo

Picaruelo

Post by picaruelo »

Hello everybody,

I am a Spanish folder, this is my first post here and I hope I can write a lot more. During the last year I have started to design new models. After attending the last AEP Convenction in Zaragoza (Spain), and after meeting some great guys from the french group LE CRIMP there, I began to fold/crumple paper. Most of the models I present you today are crumpled. It is a technique that I find very powerful and that still is in its infancy.
You can see them in my flickr gallery http://www.flickr.com/photos/picaruelo/

Any comments will be wellcomed, thank you

Octopus

Squid

Black Panther

Goat

Spanish dancer

Runner

Ancient Dragon (based on Kamiya's model base)

Dragonfly

Dragonfly

Attack of the Dragon

Attack of the Dragon

Dragons

And finally, the only 'tradicional' model, a grasshopper I designed in 1991. I still have to refold and photograph my old creations
desuwulf

Re: Picaruelo

Post by desuwulf »

very nice black panther and goat:) Crimping is really cool. I love how it gives life to very complex vegetal things too!
picaruelo

Post by picaruelo »

Hello,

it’s been a long time since my last post but anyway I have been working on new designs. Today I show you a model I designed this summer. It is a kind of experiment I made with a big square of white kraft paper (1 meter x 1 meter). I cut it in 10 long pieces, glued them together to make a long stripe of paper and I began to fold and crumple. For the head I used the top part of the paper, inspired by Saadya’s sculptures. The hands are folded and the rest of the body crumpled.

It is a completely closed model, not very orthodox but I like it

And the result is BIIIIGGG

picaruelo

Post by picaruelo »

Hi, three new models I made this summer but that I couldn’t photograph until today.

I designed the panther with the same paper size than my crumpled model but using ‘traditional’ origami. You can see both models together. Although crumpling, in theory, is the most efficient way to fold the paper, you can see that both models are very similar in size:

The head is based on Saadya’s masks but with a longer stripe of paper that allows to close the model with hair:

Finally, I designed the ballet dancer joining a simple 16x16 box pleated man with the skirt of one of Joisel’s dwarves:

I hope you like it
picaruelo

Post by picaruelo »

Hello everybody,

today I pay homage to the world of speleology.

I have designed a speleologist, Picaruelo, climbing down into a cave, hanging from a rope, with a sac and a carbide light.

The speleologist is made of double tissue square paper, the sac of kraft square paper and the cave of foam board covered with brown crumpled kraft. For the light, I used a small red diode, a small resistance and two batteries hidden inside the sac. The model hangs from a thin climbing rope.

As far as I know there aren’t speleologists in origami. If anybody knows any model related to this activity please let me know. I hope you like it.

The model and composition is inspired by the logo of a speleology club in Madrid:

If I have time, tomorrow I will hang some photos of the construction process here and in my flickr page
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

Your models are very nice. I especially like the speleologist.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
picaruelo

Post by picaruelo »

Thanks, I had wanted to design a speleologist for a long time but it was not until this summer that I came up with the idea of using a real rope and a light to make it more vivid.

I think that mixing paper and other materials is a very powerfull tool to create nice sceneries. I have some other ideas but I haven't fully developed them yet. If I had more time...
picaruelo

Post by picaruelo »

As promised I post some photos of Picaruelo's construction process

The back with the wires:

The lighting system:

The folding process:

The cave construction, foam board covered with kraft paper:

Details of the rebelays:

Building the stalactites and stalagmites:

The end result:

picaruelo

Post by picaruelo »

Hello again,

during the last few weeks, I have been working on a Nativity Scene together with other people from the Madrid AEP (the Spanish Origami Association). We are going to display it in a big shopping center in Madrid (Centro Comercial Hortaleza – 14th of December to 6th of January). The Scene is going to occupy a surface of around 3,5x3,5 meters. It includes the manger, Herod’s castle with soldiers, a palm tree forest, the Three Wise Men caravan, sheperds, angels, a river, a village, all kind of animals and buildings and even a cave with a dragon.

Tomorrow is the great day, after the shopping center closes at night we will begin the construction process and if everything goes as planned, it will be ready next day early in the morning.

You can find a lot of photographs about the project here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aepmadrid/

After the construction is completed we will include photographs of the finished Nativity Scene

And now, some of the models I have folded, modified and created for the occasion:

THE THREE WISE MEN CARAVAN

THE THREE WISE MEN

THE MULETEERS

DETAIL OF ONE MULE

FARMER WOMAN

The models are from John Montroll (camels), Roman Diaz (mules), Eric Joisel (rat), David Brill (Wise Men) and me. You can see more details about each photograph here http://www.flickr.com/photos/picaruelo
eudaimonia

Post by eudaimonia »

I love it. It's colorful and the folds are great.
picaruelo

Post by picaruelo »

Thanks eudaimonia

Here you have the final result. The complete Nativity Scene. A 4x3m display with hundreds of models.

And this one, just to wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS

Finally, the exhibition includes more than ten small Nativity Scenes from different authors. This one is mine:

More photos here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aepmadrid/

If you understand Spanish you can take a look at these links that talk about the project:

http://blog.navidaddigital.com/2013/12/ ... drid-2013/

http://www.granviadehortaleza.com/notic ... la-navidad
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Very nice scene!
picaruelo

Post by picaruelo »

Hello,

I have been studying Eric Joisel's models for a while. As a result I came out with one his dwarves. I have folded it from a 60x60 cm kozo square paper. I have used it for my first entry in my new blog:

http://www.picaruelo.com

It is both in Spanish and English.

Any comments will be wellcomed!!!!

picaruelo

Post by picaruelo »

Hello,

I continue folding Joisel dwarves. This time I folded a violinist.

And the detail of the violin, designed by Hagiwara Gen:

You can find all the folding process here http://www.picaruelo.com

Good folding!
picaruelo

Post by picaruelo »

Hi all,

here you have my ballet dancer CP. Very simple, the skirt is similar to one of Joisel's dwarves. I put a little peace of paper inside the head and breast to help with the modelling.

Good folds,