A Fresh Start: Athreya's Origami

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

A Fresh Start: Athreya's Origami

Post by chesscuber98 »

Having been inactive for over a year, I have decided to start afresh. In this new gallery,and new Flickr, I will attempt to post more clean folds, take better photos and try to give more information about the process.
I would love to see some constructive criticism, not only on the folding but also the photography.

ImageHorse - Hideo Komatsu by Athreya's Origami, on Flickr

Horse - Hideo Komatsu
Folded from: Diagrams in Tanteidan Magazine 60
Paper: Tant
Size: 35x35 cm
This is probably my favourite origami model of all time. I have folded it so often i know the steps by heart. And boy is it a fun folding sequence. The proportions are incredibly accurate and the finished project is majestic

ImageViolin - Gen Hagiwara by Athreya's Origami, on Flickr

Violin - Gen Hagiwara
Folded from: Diagrams in Tanteidan Magazine 143
Paper: Elephant Hide painted with black acrylic paint.
Size: 10x40 cm
This an amazing model. It has every detail, down to even the f-holes. The 3D steps were fun to fold and the end result is marvelous. I decided not to use glue.

ImageSwan - Athreya C by Athreya's Origami, on Flickr

Swan - Athreya C
Paper: White handmade paper.
Size: Right Isosceles Triangle of side 20cm.
An extremely simple design whose essence lies in its shaping. Inspired by Hoang Quyet's Dance.

ImageAncient Dragon - Satoshi Kamiya by Athreya's Origami, on Flickr

Ancient Dragon - Satoshi Kamiya
Folded from: Diagrams in Works of Kamiya Satoshi
Paper: Packing paper( similar to white kraft.)
Size: 45x45 cm
2nd Attempt at the model and i am quite happy. This time i chose the correct paper, to shape it decently. My only regret is the lack of colour.
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Re: A Fresh Start: Athreya's Origami

Post by chesscuber98 »

ImageSquirrel - Gen Hagiwara by Athreya's Origami, on Flickr

Squirrel - Gen Hagiwara
Folded from: CP on Gen Hagiwara's Flickr
Paper: Pastel Sheet wetfolded
Size: 20x20 cm
Folding from the CP is an absolute joy. The model looks amazing even without the 3D shaping.

ImageMammuthus Primigenius - Satoshi Kamiya by Athreya's Origami, on Flickr

Mammuthus Primigenius - Satoshi Kamiya
Folded from: Diagrams in Works of Satoshi Kamiya
Paper: Tant
Quite an enjoyable model. I especially loved the use of box pleating to achieve the trunk and tusks.

ImageHedgehog - Sergey Yartsev by Athreya's Origami, on Flickr

Hedgehog - Sergey Yartsev
Folded from: IOIO 2014 Task Booklet.
Paper: Brown Handmade Paper.
Size: 20x20 cm
I went a little overboard with the shaping on this one. It looks nothing like the original, this is simply my personal touch on the model.
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

ImageTiger - Hideo Komatsu by Athreya's Origami, on Flickr

Tiger - Hideo Komatsu
Folded from: Diagrams in Works of Hideo Komatsu
Paper: Banana paper painted with black acrylic paint.
Komatsu's models will never cease to impress me. Amazing clean look, most amazing folding sequence and an enjoyable experience altogehter. I am pretty happy for the first attempt. I took the shaping trick from Nicholas Terry. Next time i make this I will probably have to focus on the face.
Caradhruin

Post by Caradhruin »

I'm definitely not expert enough to make the technical and constructive criticism you'd probably deserve, but since it's a pity to ignore a beautiful gallery, I'm going to give you my humble ratings :)

I like a lot your horse. To be honest I have never been much impressed by Komatsu's Horse, but your model is awesome, and as you said, it looks really realistic. I also like the photograph.
Just out of curiosity, does it stand on the two rear legs and the tail or did you make it stand using some trick?

The same stands for the Violin, I like it a lot too, both the model and the photograph.

The swan is simple but has its effectiveness, and I love the black background!

About the Ancient Dragon, the folds are great, but maybe I would have chosen another point of view for the photo because this angle is such that a lot of details are hidden.

The squirrel and the hedgehog are really cute, especially their "furry" look given by the paper you used.

To be honest I don't like Kamiya's Mammoth really much, mostly because of how the legs are folded, but this has nothing to do with your folds, that look to me neat and precise. Just a little note: if I remember well this model has a color change on the tusks, so the better choice of paper would probably be a sheet that has a white face and a coloured one!

The tiger is an interesting model, I love its colour change. As you said the face is a little less detailed than the rest but in general I like it!

;)
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Thank you for the feedback! The horse is wire mounted, that is the "Trick".
Razzmatazz
Forum Sensei

Post by Razzmatazz »

Good folds and photos. Especially the photos!
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

@Razzmatazz Thanks a lot!

ImageFox - Hoang Tien Quyet by Athreya's Origami, on Flickr
Fox - Hoang Tien Quyet
Folded from: Photo Diagrams on Neorigami
Paper: Kami
Size: 30x30 cm
When i first saw this model, i fell in love with the soft shaping. My attemps to recreate it though were futile. In the end i settled with Kami paper.

ImageOwl - Roman Diaz by Athreya's Origami, on Flickr
Owl - Roman Diaz
Folded from: Drawing Origami
Paper: Kami
Size: 30x30 cm
At first, when I saw the diagrams, I was in disbelief on how something so detailed can be made from a 15x15 cm sheet of Kami. Such an amazing model and a very nice 3-dimensional look.

ImageSea Turtle 1.3 by Athreya's Origami, on Flickr
Sea Turtle 1.3 - C.Athreya
Designed and Folded by C.Athreya
Paper: Handmade Metallic Paper
Size: 45x45 cm
Finally got around to designing a turtle. After 2 previous studies, I managed to wrangle out a model that that looks decent. I want to work on this design and would love to hear your opinion on it.