Dragons!

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
BluePaper

Post by BluePaper »

For clarifacation purpose:

a Wyrm/Wurm/Worm is just another word for the traditional, european, 4-legged, 2 winged dragon.

A wyvern is a 2-winged, 2-legged dragon.

A Chinese/Oriental dragon is a dragon like Ryu-zin. Long, snake-like, has 4 legs and no wings.

A Drake is just an archaic word for dragon.

For any other other kind of necessary clarifacation, see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon , there is a big table about half way down the page.

But why does the dragon's classifaction matter, anyway? The purpose of this was to just find a lot of origami dragons! :P

Anyway, here are my contributions: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluepaper/3320420559/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluepaper/ ... 581719381/
and if it counts, http://www.flickr.com/photos/bluepaper/2407587917/
All were folded by me
CatEater

Post by CatEater »

Bobby i really like your dragon. Do you have diagrams or a cp for it?
Finward

Post by Finward »

Just for not staying behind, here are mine
Western dragon
(version simple and detailed)

Wyvern (or fell beast, with the rider)

And I'm thinking of a Western-easternized dragon, (like a snake dragon or something) for soon, but I have not a good idea yet
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Nice, Finward, I especially like the last one
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

And now for something at the other end of the complexity spectrum.
My fold of DonyaQuick's dragon which comes from a bird base:
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

Uh Oh, the case of the purloined pig has re occured. The dragon looks alot like mine. Alot. Both are derived from the birdbase. I designed mine a couple of years ago and I think they are the same design.
Is the first step sinking the bird basy?
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

legionzilla wrote:Uh Oh, the case of the purloined pig has re occured. The dragon looks alot like mine. Alot. Both are derived from the birdbase.
what do you mean by "purloined pig?" as the donyaquick dragon actually looks like the robert neale dragon (i mean, it basically IS), which i believe he would have designed before both of you. this isn't to imply theft, rather, that it is a comparatively simple dragon from a classic japanese base that individuals beginning in design would stumble across by happenstance, even if they were not familiar with each other's work (as there are only so many simple dragons that can be designed from a bird base, and they are all going to look somewhat similar).

OTOH, there are many complex dragons which can be designed from a bird base (Kamiya's ancient dragon being exactly that, a very glorified crane).[/i]
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

The purloined pig case is not theft. It means that 2 origamists folded the same thing without copying, and the result achieved is accidental. And, I doubt that is a neale dragon
Kamiya's dragon is a complex crane? Never knew that, thanks!
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

That certainly looks like a sunken bird base dragon in the style of Bob Neale.

Satoshi Kamiya's Ancient Dragon is from a frog base with a ton of grafting modifications. Take out all the extra paper put in to produce fingers, toes, an interesting head and lengthen the legs and wings and you get a frog base.

See?

Note: this is the CP as published in Tanteidan Magazine #55. He changed it a little since then, to make it less box-pleaty.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

origamimasterjared wrote:That certainly looks like a sunken bird base dragon in the style of Bob Neale.

Satoshi Kamiya's Ancient Dragon is from a frog base with a ton of grafting modifications. Take out all the extra paper put in to produce fingers, toes, an interesting head and lengthen the legs and wings and you get a frog base.
i see what you're saying, but that seems off center. i believe kamiya even says in the forward of the model that he based it off the crane. there's even a point after you collapse the base where it's definitely visible.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

You're right, he does say crane base. I thought he had said frog base. Anyhow, long long ago I discovered that it really was just a simple frog base. Also, it's not off-center, the grafts are just of different widths. One of the grafts is responsible for the head, toes, tail, and length of the legs, while the other is responsible for the wings and length of the body.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Yeah, Donya Quick said that the design was probably not unique, and I agree, there are only a limited number of ways of making a simple dragon from a bird base so there is bound to be some overlap between designs.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

i will yield to the more senior cp folks, but it really looks like a bird base to me. that's even what it looks like in the diagrams steps 60-104--a bird base with extra bits for the head, tail, and wings.
legionzilla wrote:The purloined pig case is not theft. It means that 2 origamists folded the same thing without copying, and the result achieved is accidental
isn't that what i said?
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Oh, I guess I left out the part where I say that a bird base and a frog base are really the same thing. In the CP it is clearly a frog base, but a frog base is really just a bird base with the flaps spread-sunk.

i.e. You're right. :)
Kijjakarn

Post by Kijjakarn »

To BluePaper
Your Scaled Wyvern is so cool! Fold the scales like Ryu Zin's! :D