Some my works

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
iAm4free

Post by iAm4free »

Cute Flower :)
"Start by doing what is necessary, then what is possible, and suddenly you are doing the impossible."

- St. Francis of Assisi
dogs rock012

Post by dogs rock012 »

cool spider.
martinr

Post by martinr »

spider step by step

Link removed by moderator
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Posting of copyrighted material (other peoples work) without permission is forbidden on this Forum, therefore I had to delete this topic.
martinr

Post by martinr »

no other peoples work - i"m author of this photos
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

But the model is copyrighted.
You can´t give instructions for other peoples work just because you made the photos. The Spider is by Hektor Rojas, so all rights for this model belong to him.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 19th, 2007, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
martinr

Post by martinr »

Android raptor

Post by Android raptor »

origami_8 wrote:But the model is copyrighted.
You can´t give instructions for other peoples work just because you made the photos. The Spider is by Hektor Rojas, so all rights for this model belong to him.
I agree with this. I had some hesitations about doing a doll tutorial because the doll bodies are made using a variation on Maarten Van Gelder's Human Figure. I decided to go ahead and make one, however, because I had already shown Mr. Van Gelder my dolls via email (he had no objections to me using his model in this way and selling it, and in fact was glad to know that I like his model that much and am using it in a creative way) and because the tutorial involves much more than folding, as well as the fact that I don't fold the model the same way as Van Gelder. I also gave him credit and put the link to his model in the beginning of the tutorial, as well as gave credit to Jeremy Shafer for designing the basic model for the pants I use and the nameless creator who designed the basic shirt I use.

That being said, I think the sort of thing I did is fine because like I said, it involves much more than just folding and the idea of putting all those things and techniques together to make one unique result was solely my idea. However, when someone gives instructions to someone else's model with no changes and without permission from the creator, then it's never a good thing because it's copyright infringement.

However, I think that martinr should be forgiven because from the looks of it he's new to origami and just didn't know any better. Not to mention that the way he types suggests that English might not be his first language, so he might have some trouble understanding some of what is said on this board. Maybe this board could experiment with having separate forums just for folders who's main language is not English. Of course the main forum would still be in English, but we could have separate subforums just for non-English speakers. After all, there are many users who come from countries besides the US and Britain (such as Spain, Vietnam, Mexico, Brazil, India, Germany, etc) and have trouble with English because it's not their first language (not to mention that English is one of the most difficult languages to learn for people who weren't raised with it from an early age). I think that would be a really awesome, if not just respectable thing to do :)
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Android raptor wrote:that English is one of the most difficult languages to learn for people who weren't raised with it from an early age
:shock: English is one of the easiest languages to learn. There are far less words than in other languages and less grammar too. Maybe it´s harder to learn when you are from a country where an Asian language or French is spoken, but especially for Europeans (except French people) it´s the easiest language to learn beside their own.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 19th, 2007, 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JeossMayhem
Forum Sensei

Post by JeossMayhem »

Whaaat, I think English would be horrible to learn. I don't think there are far less words to learn, since there are so many synonyms and meanings for the same word. Not to mention frequent use of figurative language, especially sarcasm. I would agree that some European peoples would find it easy to learn, but I wouldn't ever say English is the 'easiest' to learn.
But the fact that English is taught everywhere, especially in asian countries, makes it ideal for this forum, in my opinion.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Okay, heres how I've been taught: English is one of the hardest languages to learn, yet it's so widespread that lots of people are learning it.
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

JeossMayhem wrote:there are so many synonyms and meanings for the same word.
Exactly the reverse is the case. I learned in school Russian and English as foreign languages and made the experience that for every English word there are three German words and for each of these three words there are five Russian words. So you have 15 synonyms in Russian for a single word in English!
JeossMayhem wrote:Not to mention frequent use of figurative language, especially sarcasm.
Sorry to say, but in my experience the only ones that don´t check up sarcasm are from America...
Last edited by origami_8 on August 19th, 2007, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Android raptor

Post by Android raptor »

Hmmm, I can understand how it would be somewhat easy for most Europeans to learn English, but I see many people on this forum from other countries (such as Vietnam and China) who have even said openly they have trouble understanding us English speakers. My idea is that the admins make one board for non-English speakers to discuss and talk in a language they're more comfortable with. The idea is to have just one forum, but different threads (that will possibly be stickied) for each country/language. For example, there would be one thread for speakers of Spanish, a thread for speakers of Vietnamese, a thread for speakers of Russian, etc, to discuss and post their creations in their language with other people who also speak that language. I know there's quite a few people here from Spain and Mexico alone, and while many are pretty good at English, I'd think they'd want to be able to use Spanish at least some of the time. And if the board doesn't do so well, it can just be removed, can't it (hate to assume things, but I think you can do that without disrupting other boards, though please correct me if I'm wrong)?

I personally know that it takes a lot to learn a new language, especially if you're not that great at it and weren't taught it at an early age. I took two courses of Latin last year (I know it's a "dead" language, but it interested me the most since I want to get into zoological sciences when I'm older and scientific names are in Latin of course). I did alright, and I somehow got a silver medal on this nationwide Latin I test (second best award, the first was a gold medal), but I really struggled with a lot of stuff, especially the grammar. And Latin and many other languages have set grammar rules, unlike English where to most grammar rules there's always an exception! So I can really understand many people, especially who speak a language completely different from English, struggling to learn even the basics of it. Of course it's getting better because many countries, especially in Asia, start teaching English in elementary school, but there are some older people who might not have gotten that opportunity when they were younger.

So yeah, I think this forum should at least experiment with one board for non-English speakers.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

This is an international Forum so everyone should be able to understand what has been written. Most people today learn English in school. This isn´t true for other languages.

If someone´s feeling uncomfortable with English, there are other Forums and Mailing lists in different languages (e.g. Vietnamese, French, Spanish, German,...).

Opening up a board on this Forum where other languages are spoken would interfere with the basic concept that everyone should be able to understand what is written and lead to split the Forum into many small groups all interacting only with their fellow speakers.
Last edited by origami_8 on August 19th, 2007, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

This is an international/English-speaking forum.

Spanish speakers can use the Spanish-speaking forums, French can use the French, Vietnamese the Vietnamese, Russian the Russian, etc.

People can understand the English well enough, and we English speakers can interpret the broken English pretty well.

Most of those people who apologize about their poor English can read/write good enough English, it's just letting people know that English is not their first language.

--

And about English being a difficult language... English has a lot of nuances, exceptions to all rules, and no real set structure. Many words have multiple meanings (for instance "run" has over 60 meanings: run out of food, run a lap, run its course, water runs, etc.) Lots of slang and sarcasm (but I'm sure that's true in many languages). English has about 20,000 words that everyone uses. But there are only 26 letters you need to learn. (And about 10 punctuation marks.)

We're always told that English is one of the hardest languages to learn, alongside Chinese and Japanese. Spanish, French, etc. are pretty easy to learn, Chinese and Thai I assume are really difficult--especially when speaking is taken into account.