Quentin's photos

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie »

Quentin, I hope you're diagramming all these models for a forthcoming book - they're really outstanding. I got your BOS booklet at the last convention and like it a lot, though I think with all this new stuff a follow-up would have to be on a rather bigger scale.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Hi Edwin
I really appreciate your comments.
Thank you for the compliments and motivation.
I am currently working on a book. Spent this weekend diagramming the bear - took 3 days - .
I have 2 more models to diagram and then the others to put finishing touches on. When that is done, I'm gonna send it off to the publisher and take it from there.
If it doesnt work out with the publisher, I will probably self-publish, as most of the work is done already.
I am aiming for mid next year, but this is a first for me, so I can't say for sure.
With the baby coming in the next few weeks, that might change things also!
Thank you again.
Greetings
Quentin
JVega

Post by JVega »

Hey Quentin!, That would be nice to keep us informed about your book. It looks very interesting. I hope to see a list of the models in the book.

Will you sell it at amazon or something? or just at origami associations?
qtrollip wrote:With the baby coming in the next few weeks, that might change things also!
Yes, it will change things for sure, you will start to fold diapers ;)

Enjoy your child!
"Keep On Folding!!"

qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Thank you Jvega. I'll keep you informed!

Bottlenose Dolphin (revised)
Dry-folded from an uncut square.
Quentin
ftangdude55
Forum Sensei

Post by ftangdude55 »

Wow. Very nice curves. :o
My Flickr

Hi! It's been a long while since I've been active on here. I deleted my Dropbox years ago, so some things, like my Dragonfly Varileg guide, are lost to time. I may still have other things, though! Email me if you have any questions.
JVega

Post by JVega »

Really nice shaping. Clean and beautiful. I like the detail of the eye.

Congratulations, Master.
"Keep On Folding!!"

Max

Post by Max »

The revised head came out real nice. Its a very realistic bottlenose head. Congratulations :-)
Edwin Corrie

Post by Edwin Corrie »

Congratulations on the forthcoming baby, Quentin. You might want to get as many diagrams done as possible before he or she arrives, though. I've fallen badly behind with my diagrams several times, and it tends to stop me trying to create new models.

I don't have much experience of publishing. A book by a mainstream publisher is nice, but from what I've heard from others you don't always have a lot of control over the contents, accuracy or choice of models and photos, so the final result can be quite different from what you envisaged. If I ever get round to it I'd be tempted to self-publish and then maybe try to get a publisher interested in a practically finished product which they wouldn't have to change too much.

Whatever happens, you have to publish your stuff though. It's too good to remain hidden away (yes, that was another compliment).
Ariel_A

Post by Ariel_A »

Your book is one which I'll certainly be anticipating. You have such a beautiful way of capturing the essence of your subject in the model as well as a knack for choosing unusual subjects.

If you have only a few models left to diagram, you have probably chosen what will go into the book already, but I'll put in my two cents worth just in case.

The shire horse! (so recognisable and dignified)
The stripper
Mermaid 2
The ostrich (I assume that this one is a shoo-in after all the favorable comments on the forum)

Best of luck with both upcoming births (baby and book),
Ariel
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

I think it may be time to (ask permission) and start two new Topics:
Quentin's Book (Nicolas started in September) and Quentin's Baby Pictures :-)

As far as the book, there have been a few published very recently and the authors might provide some experience and advice.

(As far as the baby, I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice ... eg, I recommend teaching sign language...)

- Hank Simon
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Well, Quentin is free to start a topic about his book whenever he wants to do so, otherwise he can keep us updated here. About the baby, I don't think this is the right Forum to make a topic for baby photos. But if you would like to, we could open up a "Hello I am" topic where everyone can tell a bit about him-/herself, show pictures (also of their family) and so forth.
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Thanx for the input.
I'm not going to make new topics now.
About the book. I don't think I can keep everyone happy with which models to include.
There are some things to consider when working with any publisher:
-number of pages
-number of models
-selection/theme of models
-difficulty of models
-folding sequences of models (ie not to use the same base over and over).

So what I'm aiming for is 20-25 models, which need to be diagrammed into about 150 pages.
I want to include mammals, birds, fish/water animals, masks and human figures.
Difficulty will be Intermediate to Complex. Most of the models, however, wil be in the Complex range (but not Super Complex).
(Due to the fact that my horses all share a similar folding sequence, I am still unsure whether to include any of them. I would want to do a publication at a later stage, which will focus on the horses, and act as a designing tool - I want explain in the book my design philosophy and use the horse models as examples.)

So, for whoever follows this thread, if you want to add anything or tell me your favourite models, please do so.
But I will shut down this topic if it turns into a debate/arguement!

Thank you
Quentin
Jonnycakes
Buddha

Post by Jonnycakes »

Well said-looking forward to your books-especially the horses. The design aspect intrigues me a lot.
Rdude

Post by Rdude »

With so many good origami books coming out in the next year or 2 I'm going to be broke fast! Glad to year that you'll finally be publishing one of your own! If i had to choose 7 models (I was going to say only 5 but I couldn't bear to narrow it down any further) to include in your book, they would be (in no particular order):

Complex Polar Bear,
African Elephant,
Chimpanzee VR 1.2,
Great Horned Owl,
Crow,
Manta,
Urang Utang.

I hope my humble opinion is some help!

Andrew
If you can't fold it, try a bazooka.
My Flickr ->
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rdudevr55/
Ariel_A

Horses as a designing tool

Post by Ariel_A »

I like the idea of a separate book of horses used as a basis for explaining designing principles. The horses are beautiful and varied enough to merit a book of their own and that would be well worth waiting for.
So I take back my Shire Horse request. In fact, I know that I will be pleased with whichever models you decide to publish, as I agree with Rdude that is very difficult to choose.
Ariel