Gallery of Donya Quick

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Oh that looks like Albertino's base with those little claws grafted on, clever! I can't wait to fold this! :)
Donya

Post by Donya »

What is Albertino's base? I am unfamiliar with the term and can't seem to find a relevant result on google.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Oh well then nevermind. :lol:

It is a simple base that Albertino came up with (and it appears in Passion Origami) to be used for people to practice creating simple models. You skipped a bunch of steps in the diagram so I can't tell but it looks alot like that base. I thought it was intentional.
juston

Post by juston »

Okay, I just folded them both... the resemblance is only superficial.

Donya's model is formed completely differently and, even when you unfold it, the crease pattern is different. It's also slightly more efficient in it's use of paper... even with the graft taking up as much space in the square as it does, the resultant base is about the same size as Albertino's base.

Anyways... what I came here to say is, thanks for the diagrams, Donya. I've been eagerly awaiting my chance to fold that Iguanodon!
The world's worst photographer now has a flickr account... enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_real_juston/
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Well I didn't mean anything by it! Honest, they just look similar when you haven't seen the diagrams (I only saw the missing part now, it was on the bottom of the post and I missed it before).
juston

Post by juston »

LOL, sorry David. I didn't mean to imply you were accusing her of plagiarism or anything... I was just honestly curious how similar they were and I happened to have both diagrams in front of me.
The world's worst photographer now has a flickr account... enjoy!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/the_real_juston/
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Oh good! I was just afraid that I looked like a jerk there. I look forward to folding the model, it is one of the best challenge winners I've seen. :)
Donya

Post by Donya »

It is a simple base that Albertino came up with (and it appears in Passion Origami) to be used for people to practice creating simple models.
Is this a book or some other publication? Google again seems to be failing me...very strange since I usually get the journals or something on amazon right away (unless it is out of print I suppose).
Anyways... what I came here to say is, thanks for the diagrams, Donya. I've been eagerly awaiting my chance to fold that Iguanodon!
Thanks Juston! :) Hopefully there will be no bugs in the diagrams; sometimes they slip by me when I let it sit for too long before doing a final check.

--------------

I may as well tack these onto my post too - Plesiosaurus instructions are up.

Diagrams: http://donyaquick.deviantart.com/art/Or ... -177909641

Direct link to pdf: http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2010/ ... 2xx7yh.pdf
Last edited by Donya on December 28th, 2020, 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Donya, check here for the Passion Origami book series. The base is shown in the first book of the series "Passion Origami" by Nicolas Terry.
All the books are well worth having and from what you fold I would guess that "Origami Essence" by Roman Diaz would especially please you.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Donya go here and then it is chapter one.
Donya

Post by Donya »

My inlaws sent me some interesting paper for my birthday this month, so guess what I've been doing. :wink:

(The yellow moose is with the new, crisper paper)

Also in the collection they sent was some very beautiful paper that looks like lots of little scales. It is wonderful for anything reptilian, but difficult to photograph well (for my skill level with a camera anyway).

If there are any tips for photographing very textured, very reflective paper like this, please share!
Last edited by Donya on December 28th, 2020, 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

that moose is so cute i cant wait untill you publish diagrams or a cp
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Dear Donya, to photograph very shiny paper like the iridescent paper you used for this sweet little fellow you might want to get yourself a light tent. Those can be made easily by yourself and consist in the main part of translucent material (tracing paper or thin cloth) and a good light source (lamp).
Here is an easy guide how to make a lightbox yourself:
http://thadallender.com/2008/02/12/do-i ... -lightbox/
For my photos I use this bought one with very good daylight lamps that consists of elements that you can get easily at every hardware store plus some photo cardboard for the background:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/scarygami/3633225159
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

is this cute little pig a model of yours, donya? has it been diagrammed somewhere?
Donya

Post by Donya »

Thanks origami_8! I will try that. I have many large-ish cardboard boxes sitting around, so that will be a good use for one of them. :)

is this cute little pig a model of yours, donya? has it been diagrammed somewhere?
Yes, it is the second fold of a pig that happened when I was trying to get an antelope out of the same base as my walrus. :lol:

It may be a while before I'm able to get diagrams for the pig and moose finished/posted, since things have been a bit crazy lately.