Gallery of Donya Quick

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Donya

Gallery of Donya Quick

Post by Donya »

Spiritofcat suggested I do one of these threads, so here goes! I think I finally have some models of my designs that photgraphed well enough to put up here (or at least I hope so - the average photo standard here seems quite a bit higher than the ones present on deviantart for the most part).

All of the models below are rather simple ones of mine, so I expect there will be many similar ones floating around. I did all of the models with 30cm paper that is quite thick. It's bad for folding things any more complex than these designs, but finished models from it feel absolutely delicious when using that paper. It's also the best paper I have currently for photographing, since I prefer to use 15cm or smaller foil paper usually.

Unicorn:
Instructions: http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs44/f/2009/ ... aQuick.jpg
The very first thing I designed myself (I was 8 or 9 at the time I think). This particular fold of it is recent though.

Walrus:
Instructions: http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs46/f/2009/ ... aQuick.jpg
Somewhat accidental design resulting from trying to graft a triceratops out of a much older dinosaur design I had. So, the Triceratops below is mainly an inside-out walrus. :lol:

Triceratops:
Instructions: http://www.deviantart.com/download/1294 ... aQuick.pdf and needs these too: http://www.deviantart.com/download/1294 ... aQuick.pdf
This particular model had a bit of a mishap unfortunately just after I folded it. I had to apply a very small drop of glue at the top of the hips to seal the coated, colored side of the paper and prevent it from cracking down the leg. I've not had that issue with thinner paper. Still, this one seemed to photograph better.

I wasn't sure how many of these I should stick in one post, so I'll leave it there for now.
Last edited by Donya on December 28th, 2020, 2:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
elanman

Post by elanman »

That Triceratops looks like a great fold, I'll give it a go.
mrsriggins

Post by mrsriggins »

Those are all so cute! Even though they are simple they have lots of personality- great job! :D
"There are times when hope itself is an act of heroism. So here's to hope, and everyday heroes. " -Jacqueline Carey
I totally just discovered I have a macro function on my camera- I'm lovin it!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23352404@N06/sets/
Donya

Post by Donya »

That Triceratops looks like a great fold, I'll give it a go.
If you try it, do let me know how it turns out. Most of my instructions haven't been tested by other people, so I always worry that somewhere I've diagrammed folds to nowhere.
Those are all so cute! Even though they are simple they have lots of personality- great job!
Thanks!

I thought I would put in something today on the more complicated end of the spectrum just to change things up a bit. It's probably a one-off for me since I do gravitate to simpler, more abstract things. This one is a crab I have been working on for a contest (in an attempt to push myself a bit and stop just deriving more animals from the accidental "walrus base"). It is also my first try with making my own folding material from combinations of tissue and foil.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/ ... _small.jpg[/img]

Left one is made from one layer of tissue + one layer of foil cut to 21cm, the other is double-layered tissue cut to nearer 30cm and folded while the adhesive between the layers was still wet. The one on the right fits in my palm, but I couldn't find a ruler for an exact measurement.
Wizmatt

Post by Wizmatt »

Wow, those crabs are great..are they box pleated?
More photos on my flickr
Donya

Post by Donya »

Indeed, it is box pleated into 32 x 32. I am trying to diagram the crab now and it's giving me a lot of trouble despite that. Parts of the CP were very easy, since many of the folds are just box pleating tricks, but there are also some important folds that have to take place when it is in a strange, 3-D shape that resembles a pill bug rolling into a ball.
topsu

Post by topsu »

Nice crabs! I like the right one better, the left one is a bit crumpled. (Because of the foil, obviously)
Donya

Post by Donya »

Thanks :) The legs are definitely better on the right, although I think the tissue foil helps the eyes hold their shape better. The piece of paper for the one on the left was rather messy even before folding (I glued my hand to it when trying to apply the tissue...live and learn). Subsequent attempts at tissue foil making and crab folding have been looking closer to the one on the right with cleaner folds on the legs, although the creases are still quite stubborn on the carapace.
Donya

Post by Donya »

Putting the pyramid head I designed up here since I have the diagrams ready for it now, even though it was mainly just for the sake of funnies.

Original (21cm tissue + foil):

Refold done for diagramming (21cm tissue + foil + tissue):

Diagrams! http://fc06.deviantart.com/fs48/f/2009/ ... aQuick.pdf
Last edited by Donya on December 28th, 2020, 2:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
Donya

Post by Donya »

I've added the appropriate four tail spikes to my Stegosaurus:

As it turns out, grafting the spikes on seemed to not work out so well and resulted in something really thick and unwieldy. Instead, a couple of pleats and inside reverses was all that was needed. This brings the fold count to 31. If I'd just managed to weasle away one of the early folds, I could've had the tail spikes for the challenge. :lol:

(Edited to fix typos.)
Last edited by Donya on December 28th, 2020, 2:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
legionzilla
Forum Sensei

Post by legionzilla »

I've to say well done to your crab!!!
Your stegosaurus is pretty cool too!!!
Donya

Post by Donya »

Wow...it's been ages since I've posted here :shock:

Over the holidays I tried folding with some wrapping paper.

Animals designed by me, trees are all variations of Cu Kim Ngoc's Tree II. The big elephant in the back is just wrapping paper, the others are foil-backed, which turned out to be really hard to work with when cut to 20-25cm per side. The trees are just printer paper.

If anyone else has worked a lot with wrapping paper, I would appreciate some tips if there are any. I've got most of the roll left and would like to use it up, but I got a bit discouraged when it was too much like a limp noodle by itself and a bit too much like plastic when a foil backing was added. I haven't tried wet folding though. I thought maybe with a bit of a glue in the solution (instead of just water) the limp noodle problem would go away, but don't know yet.
Last edited by Donya on December 28th, 2020, 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
oyster

Post by oyster »

nice design and thanks for sharing
but I think the texture and color of wrapping paper ( not the model itself) draw more attention from the visitors
MagicalLiopleuradon

Post by MagicalLiopleuradon »

That Pyramid head is amazing! And all one piece! (Other than the weapons)

I have tried to make a pyramid head for a long time and none of them have came out sucessful. (Other than one)
Donya

Post by Donya »

5-6 months later, I finally have some reasonable folding time again.

Simple praying mantis from a square:
Last edited by Donya on December 28th, 2020, 2:38 am, edited 2 times in total.