Origami-Artist-Galen

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
origami-artist-galen

Re: Origami-Artist-Galen

Post by origami-artist-galen »

Raptorex55 wrote:Interesting findings about the giganotosaurus. Do you think this a comprehensive change or another morph, I.e. gracile and robust?
I'm not quite sure what you mean by comprehensive vs. gracile and robust. This is just the most up to date depiction of giganotosaurus and the overall proportions are now much more similar to T. Rex, though still not quite as heavily built. When I first heard about Giganoto in the books it was consistently described as the largest known theropod dinosaur with a total length of perhaps 50+ feet. Sadly, that's gone out the window by now and respected estimates now vary from 40-44 feet.

sr123ification wrote:Titan Beetle Looks awesome! So does the Giganoto and the EVA V3!

Folded your Flying Stag Beetle yesterday with tracing paper.
I'll upload it tomorrow. :D
Thanks! I'll look forward to seeing your rendition of my stag beetle ;)
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

@shuki: how much does it take you to design such a detailed model like giganotosaurus with teeth...etc.? Do you planout the crease pattern of the model or...?
origami-artist-galen

I'll often work on one section, in this case the head, and then start planning out the rest on a square sheet of paper. The process usually involves testfolding areas of the cp with graph paper, kami, or tracing paper prior to folding the real thing.

New (sort of) model: Brachiosaurus

I thought my previous brachiosaur design (in pearl tissue foil) had a tail which was too short, so I simply grafted on a strip which also extended to the legs which gave them much needed bulk to support the model.

Designed by: Shuki Kato
Folded from: one 15" square of Origamido and one square of Nicolas terry's tissue foil
Size: 7" and 8" tall
origami-artist-galen

Designed an Elephant Beetle and Giraffe earlier this month:

Both models were folded out of one square of double tissue paper. These are two models I've pretty much always wanted to design and then finally decided to tackle them this month. I'm quite satisfied with how the giraffe(s) turned out and the beetle good enough, there's room for an upgrade.
Mir Numaan
Buddha

Post by Mir Numaan »

dude the head of the giraffe is one of the best! you even managed to get the hump! great job but don't you think the front leg is a bit too long?
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

THEY'RE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! The giraffe's shape is perfect and the Elephant beetle is the best I've ever seen! So is the giraffe! Will the giraffe diagram be in your book? (I don't want any pressure for you, just asking)
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

fantastic designs! I love them! :)
origami-artist-galen

mir numaan wrote:dude the head of the giraffe is one of the best! you even managed to get the hump! great job but don't you think the front leg is a bit too long?
First off thanks! And not really, giraffes have ridiculously long legs and can assume a very erect posture like in my second giraffe if they choose to. I still think my design could have longer legs, but it's good enough.

sr123ification wrote:THEY'RE ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! The giraffe's shape is perfect and the Elephant beetle is the best I've ever seen! So is the giraffe! Will the giraffe diagram be in your book? (I don't want any pressure for you, just asking)
It should be, I'm quite satisfied with it;)
origamipete wrote:fantastic designs! I love them! :)
Thanks yet again Pete!
Last edited by origami-artist-galen on December 27th, 2013, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

origami-artist-galen wrote:Thanks yet again Pete!
You're welcome!
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Whoah! comparing the real and your giraffe model pic's your model's front legs seems way shorter!
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
phillipcurl

Post by phillipcurl »

@sr123ification:
origami-artist-galen wrote:I'm quite satisfied with how the giraffe(s) turned out and the beetle good enough, there's room for an upgrade.
Anyways, Shuki, I've come to the conclusion that you are a magician at coming up with folding sequences... all the models of yours (not BP) that I have attempted to fold from CP are extremely difficult to collapse. Maybe I just suck at collapsing CP's, who knows.
flickr gallery
Youtube channel
Phillip
Edg

Post by Edg »

Ah, just noticed you got the hair on the neck.. great stuff! Giraffe's look like they're in slow motion all the time, anyone ever noticed this?
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

ever seen a running giraffe? they are FAST! :D
Edg

Post by Edg »

Alas, I've only seen them trotting about at the zoo... they looked like they where dancing! Saw a documentary where two males where fighting, earlier this year, pretty badass!
origamipete
Forum Sensei

Post by origamipete »

yeah they are! no kidding! One must wonder how strong their neck vertebrae must be! they hit each other pretty hard!