Fishgoth

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Fishgoth

Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Well, everyone else seems to have a gallery on this page, so why not me? All these photos, and more are on my website, http://www.fishgoth.com/origami.

Hippo - Folded from a single square. High intermediate. I've tried to create a model which gives the impression of bulk, preserving the details of the face, without making the model too complex. I managed to complete a similar model with teeth, but there were too many layers, and I did not want to create yet another model that could only be folded from foil backed paper. The model below is a 30cm sheet of craft paper, although I have successfully folded the model from A4 letter paper a couple of times. Diagrams may come soon!

I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Cicada. High intermediate, from a single square. Yup, that's right. This is a model that is far easier than it looks. I have used simple point splitting on a frog base, with a bit of sinking to create this model. One long point is split to form the back two legs, one is split to form the head and antenna, and the four short points form the other four legs. The remaining two long flaps form the wings, and the long central flap forms the abdomen.

oswalakhil

Post by oswalakhil »

Wow...great cicada!!and only high intermediate??(makes it even better ;) )
i like the hippo too!
andssl

Cicada

Post by andssl »

I like too!!
FrumiousBandersnatch
Forum Sensei

Post by FrumiousBandersnatch »

I love the details on that hippo! Great Job!
ArmyTim

Post by ArmyTim »

What paper/size was used for the cicade?
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free."
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
My Flickr is not much, but its a start.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Not sure. I usually use around 25-30cm for my foiled backed models, and model is about 9cm long
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

My version of a Five Horned Beetle / Eupatorus Gracilicornis. This was folded from 30cm foil-backed paper. I used some thin Gold colour tissue from John Lewis (a dept store in the UK). When draped over aluminium foil, this gives an interesting texture!

paperlion

Post by paperlion »

Really nice. I suppose <i> This </i> one is complex? (in comparison with the cicada)
"When I'm lying in my bed, I think about life and I think about death, and neither one particularly appeals to me"

-Morrissey
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Nah, no that complex. Except for an off-centre blinzted bird base. With 24th box pleating for the legs. And a series of 33/16.5 degree angles for the abdomen. And several dozen closed unwrap sinks. And some point splitting that I'd rather not do again in a hurry. And I still can't get the thorax to look perfectly smooth, etc
paperlion

Post by paperlion »

That sounds fairly complex to me. :roll:

But not in comparison to ryu zin...
"When I'm lying in my bed, I think about life and I think about death, and neither one particularly appeals to me"

-Morrissey
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Hercules Beetle 2010

I changed the design of my previous beetle slightly. I used box pleating for the legs, rather than angle division, and ended up with a little more paper to split the ends of the legs. This took away the flap that I had previously used for the antenna, so I had to reshape the layers slightly to form them. I have used a tissue foil sandwich to make the paper. On one side, I have used black tissue. On the other, I used black tissue, let it dry, and then used a sheet of light-blue tissue. I used a plant mister to spray some water over the freshly laid blue sheet, and let it dry. It resulted in a nice mottled blue effect, as the water and spray glue allowed some of the black pigment to show through.

Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Styracosaurus 2010, wetfolded from a sheet of Tant paper. Photodiagrams are almost ready...

Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

Celestial Dragon - part of a series that I am working on of the twelve celestial animals. Folded from foil backed paper. This model is essentially a fish base with three strip grafts inserted - a large centre one to form the head and hind legs, and two running alongside the paper for form the toes and tail fan. The final model is less than a foot long. If I ever get a large enough sheet of foil, theoretically, I should be able to add scales to this model, with minimal difficulty...

Metangas

Post by Metangas »

Great dragon! I like the special look it has!

By the way, what are you going to do with the project? :)
Poor student passing by!