working on a model

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
garrasdecaiman

working on a model

Post by garrasdecaiman »

I´ve been working on designing a model for this image.

since I´m already at trial folds this is the work I have done, here is the cirle packing pattern
and this is my progression in the position of the points

this is the crease pattern (with thin grafts which I have not used. read them as if they were very thick lines)

and here are some pictures of the prototype.

so I was wondering what do you think about it, in what do you think I should work more.
next I will try to fold a prototype with the grafts added, please excuse the very bad quality of the photos as they are taken with a laptop´s screen mounted webcam.
If you would like to try the model just ask me and I will post whe method to obtain the reference points which is most of what you need since the crease pattern is just filled with simple molecules.

I hope you will comment
X
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The model looks really cute. I think you should refold it with better paper and take some time for shaping.
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

Hmmm, you've done a really great job so far. Most details are there (except those wierd parts coming out of the arms on the original picture), so I think you should work on the proportions next. The arms and snake heads should be much shorter. You should definitely try the grafts to get more details on the snake heads too.
Oh, and what is that thing anyways?
Lastly, I'm sure you could get a hydra with a bit of modifications on the body :wink:.
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

It´s an "estela" which means a prehispanic relief
I like this subject since I´m mexican and this relief is in my hometown´s museum.
I also want to make the "señor de las limas which is above it in the wikipedia article I have linked.
I feel prehispanic culture is underrepresented in origami which is if nobody elses my own fault, jajaj. But really I plan to continue with mexican themed origami although it might not be easily recognized without a picture from the inspiration since it is not so well known as dragons, or cerberus from european lore.

I thought of hydra and medusa when I saw the result of my first test fold but they have already been done in very spectacular ways but I don´t mind if any of you tried whith the CP.
The grafts as I mentioned were added to detail the model, but since I was fighting with the paper to obtain a folding sequence on the central pentagon (which I have managed from yesterday to today), have not been tackled yet, but I will continue to work on it.

Finally the snakes are supposed to represent blood flowing from the severed head of a ulama ballgame player.

Thanks for your comments and expect to see this model finished and more prehispanic inspired models soon.

Again thank you
X

here is the link to wikipedia:
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacrificio ... ehispanica

the picture is two thirds of the way down and "el señor de las limas" is around one fourth
origamimasterjared
Buddha

Post by origamimasterjared »

I think you should make the snake flaps longer. The main reason is because they are entwined, and that takes up paper.

Is there a reason you're not including those wing-like things? Are they part of the creature or the chair it's sitting on?

Very cool choice of subject. Also great job packing those circles. A larger cleaner fold should be in its future!
garrasdecaiman

Post by garrasdecaiman »

Yes the wing-like things are part of his clothes so I omitted them.
and the length of the snakes was one of my concearns but I believe that if i add fingers and details to the body the dimensions on the snakes will be exaggerated, although with the grafts I will see how the lengths match up.
I already have a second fold in which I have advanced the quality of the model since I already knew how to obtain the base, also the collapsing of the major pentagon baffled me for a while, but now it´s under my belt.

And thanks for the kudos on the circle packing.

X

I´ll post new pictures as soon as I get ahold of the crappy but only camera again.