Forum Sensei

Re: Gachepapier

Post by gachepapier »

For the monthly challenge on the french forum :

mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
rgieseking

Post by rgieseking »

That looks fantastic! It looks more like metal than like paper!
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

Thanks Rebecca! Definitely very paper-ish, very soft and rather thin lokta ;). The whole thing is quite fragile, I'm afraid...
qtrollip
Forum Sensei

Post by qtrollip »

Oh WOW!
Very Disney-ish. I can imagine Fivel or Lady and the Tramp hiding in the bin there too!
Great work
Greetings
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

Haha, yes it's quite cartoony - thanks a lot Quentin ! You'll be dearly missed in Lyon ;)
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

Here's a short report on the latest LUO convention :

click on the picture, as always...
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

I'm not finished with cats, it seems :

roodborst
Forum Sensei

Post by roodborst »

Those cats are amazing gachepapier. Excellent shaping and a real expression on their face.
Btw have you seen the cat by Seth Friedman? You should check it out on his flickr!
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

Terrific lion ! Looks like the next step in organic Origami evolution from Giang Dinh's Dreaming Cat. Kind of reminds me of the growth in Origami methods after Mooser's Train with Box Pleating....

Looking at your cat, lion, etc., "What we've got here is (a) failure to communicate" [ quotation from the 1967 film Cool Hand Luke] :-) .... Although I've seen some videos that can communicate 'shaping,' I don't know that we have diagramming conventions that convey organic shaping like yours, Giang Dinh's, Eric Joisel's, et al. to the less experienced folder?

Said another way, do you see a way to diagram your wonderful models, explaining how to shape.... without lots of previous experience and trial&error?

BTW, can you easily transform your cat and lion to a fox and wolf, or maybe an ox?
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

Dank U Roodborst :). Yes, I am familiar with Seth's work, I am quite taken by some of his models, though his cat's not one of my favourites (I love his birds most).

Hank, that is some serious praise, I think I actually just blushed like a girl :oops:, thank you ! The point you raise is quite interesting, it is difficult to convey volume folding. If anyone's taken a good shot at it, it must be Spanish artist Halle, who did my pinguin and my beggar (among many other diagrams). I've yet to make up my mind whether this is actually effective. Although looking at his drawings I think they look very accurate and should be a fantastic basis to learn such models, I've not seen many good interpretations of such diagrams, though these two models are extremely simple. I currently put this down to lack of practice of such shaping and to the fact that most folders don't consider paper as being material, but time will tell. Teaching such models to live audiences works quite well though, I've been very happy to find out on several occasions.

Can I do a fox out of this cat ? I'm quite sure, yes. A cow ? Not so sure, at least not without changing the base somewhat (guessing here though).
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

You deserve the praise, been working at it for a long time. And, I agree that I haven't seen consistent, diagramming standards for conveying volume via shaping... accessible to the less experienced folder. Clearly, there are some excellent advanced diagrammed models, Wu, Lang, Trollip, Koh, and so on that convey volume, even some that don't require "shaping."

I hope the next Origami breakthrough will be a diagramming method, or folding technique that conveys organic 'shaping', which doesn't take 5 years of experience to learn [ :-)] ... I see much of the new Origami art slowly moving in that direction, and I think a method to communicate the technique would help to advance the art. I don't have any suggestions ... I think it'll have to be a 'flash of brilliance' maybe from Boon or Quentin, or a math approx. from Sara ;-)
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

And how would one diagram a mask like this ? :mrgreen:

gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

And with "a little help from my friends" :

Thanks Quentin !
HankSimon
Buddha

Post by HankSimon »

That's tremendous!!! The back legs help to add even more 'personality.' Sometimes tweaking a model can diminish it, but I think you've clearly increased the charm! Great job!