What have you folded lately?

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

can u do a photo of it? would like to see a "transparent kawasaki rose".. :P
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

hi,

this is boon and i have just registered. wondering if anyone has folded any models from origami insects 2 or tanteidan 9. would love to see some photos.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

i have orded them now.. i will get it in about 2 to 4 weeks.. then i will fold
some!

if im done i will post it here..
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

http://www.origamihouse.jp has photos of all the models in OI2.
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

thevoid, looking forward to seeing your renditions soon.

wolf, didn't expect to meet u here ... anyway, yes, i have seen the origami house photos some weeks back. i believe the models were folded by dr lang himself. i am interested in seeing renditions by other folders.
wolf
Forum Sensei

Post by wolf »

Yes well, less random noise here on the forum than the various mailing lists.

IIRC, Dr Lang didn't fold those bugs shown on the OH website, but another Japanese folder. There was an o-list message sometime ago about that, but I can't seem to find it now.

Jake Crowley has folded some of the insects, his webpage is at: http://home.earthlink.net/~jakecrowley/
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

i believe u are referring to hatori masao, the sushi chef who doesn't create his own models but comes up with exquisite folds of other people's designs. initially OH posted a couple of photos of his renditions but later they started the so-called countdown and i believe the new photos are those of dr lang's own folds.

yes, i have visited jake crowley's site a number of times already. iirc, he has folded lang's flying grasshopper and cockcroach. he is an amazing folder!
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

thevoid wrote:can u do a photo of it? would like to see a "transparent kawasaki rose".. :P
Here's a photo:
Mesh Rose

I'm not sure I like the look of it. It almost seems to have been folded from a dish cloth.
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

cavemanboon wrote:hi,

this is boon and i have just registered. wondering if anyone has folded any models from origami insects 2 or tanteidan 9. would love to see some photos.
I got my copy of T9 the day before the BOS York convention and hurriedly folded Kamiya's Boar God and Yellow Bird (Chocobo) to bring along for my display. There are photos somewhere in Saj's online gallery, if you have a dig around.

I haven't got Insects 2 yet, but I've folded the cockroach (it appeared in the OUSA 2001 collection) and have a photo up in my Yahoo! album.

By the way, Boon, I'm impressed with your elephant hide Kamiya wizard. I bet folding it was tough on your fingers!
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

JMcK - the rose looks realy beautiful! grats on this, good work
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

john, what kind of paper did u use for the boar god? anyway, nice folds.

yeah, bruised my fingers somewhat folding that wizard. haven't tried it yet but it shud be easier to fold with a 70cm square instead of a 50cm square. elephant hide is kind of thick but it can take a lot of abuse, which is one of the reasons why i use it a lot. i may be crazy enough to try folding insects with it one of these days ...
JMcK

Post by JMcK »

I used a thai silk/aluminium foil/tissue sandwich for the boar god (with the thai silk on the outside).

I once wet folded a Lang hercules beetle from a 35cm square of black elephant hide. It turned out pretty well (the legs are maybe a bit thick), but it was quite hard going.
thevoid

Post by thevoid »

i just cant wait to get my tanteidan convention books..
my fingers are itching and want to fold something...

a question beside - does anyone fold allready fernando gilgado´s alien?
its a beautiful and realistic looking model! imo :o
i would like to compare some finished models
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

john, i am not familiar with thai silk paper at all. any close up shot of the paper? and any idea what the thickness is? i also like the papers that u used for folding the yoda in your yahoo album. what type of papers are those?
cavemanboon

Post by cavemanboon »

thevoid, i have not folded gilgado's alien but IIRC, ben ball has a nice rendition in his website. let me know if u have any problems finding the site - i probably have it bookmarked somewhere.