What have you folded lately?

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
DavidW

Re: What have you folded lately?

Post by DavidW »

bethnor wrote:
DavidW wrote:Finally finished Lang's Scorpion folded from 30 cm shadow fold. This is the model from Origami Insects II.

But it was not fun to fold. Still I would like to come back to this someday when I'm a better folder.
actually this model can be fun to fold. throw out purism. measure the references by pencil and mark them out. you will be much happier, i promise. i also suggest you buy an embossing pen (what nicolas terry refers to as a "precreasing tool" on origami-shop) and use that to crease the odder reference points. in general if you do this, you will reduce the stress of any model. particularly with the scorpion, where it's easy to get disoriented if you find all the landmarks by just folding.
Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-56067097 ... 000YZ413I/

I might give it a try.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I folded Kawahata's T-rex for the first time. The original version from Origami Fantasy. Folded from 35 cm I did manage the teeth but they are not perfect. Despite the overall impressive size of the finished model, I think I need to go bigger to be more precise in the teeth folding.
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

DavidW wrote:
Would something like this work? https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-56067097 ... 000YZ413I/

I might give it a try.
yes. you can go to your local craft store and buy them. i actually find a tool with a blunt end to be most efficacious. the sphere points can be off-line a little, so it's harder to be precise with them.
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

Also, an empty pencil is a good & cheap embossing tool that probably anyone can get easily.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Kabuntan wrote:Also, an empty pencil is a good & cheap embossing tool that probably anyone can get easily.
Especially for me because I'm a teacher! I find pencils and pens all the time.
Kabuntan

Post by Kabuntan »

DavidW wrote:I find pencils and pens all the time.
Ah, my mistake... I meant "an empty pen", and of course not an empty pencil! :oops:
bethnor
Buddha

Post by bethnor »

^^^^ i see what you mean. more specifically, a dry ball point pen.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Actually the kind of embossing tool shown above works pretty good, especially if you have one with a small ball. On Ebay you can find sets of five such tools for one or two dollars if you search for "nail dotting tool" (f.e. https://www.ebay.at/itm/x/122996252270). Not all of them are equally good, but the ones with fine tips work really well.
Hélios

Post by Hélios »

A great satisfaction, for a personal favourite of mine : Kasumi Seishi's Samurai Helmet. I'm especially fond of the colour changes and the special features (the hexagon ornament or the pleats to suggest plating on the sides and behind) :D

Double tissue, 30cm
ImageSamurai Helmet (K. Seishi) by Helyades
binky2819

Post by binky2819 »

Polyphylla fullo, a beetle with strange "blade" antennae, folded and designed by me from one uncut square. My first attempt at designing an arthropod of any kind.

Another coleopteran, Shuki Kato's flying kabutomushi, folded from a 50cm square of green tissue paper.

Check out all of my designs at my Flickr! https://www.flickr.com/photos/156771525@N03/
Nero

Post by Nero »

I folded Joisel's dwarf and added an accordion to it. :)
Jujusuckah1

Post by Jujusuckah1 »

ImageOrigami Ant by jujusuckah1, on Flickr
Designed and folded by me with a 25 cm uncut square of a single tissue paper.
Goldtiger-997

Post by Goldtiger-997 »

I refolded Choi Ju-Youngs's tiger with a more correct colour scheme:

ImageTiger - Choi Ju-Young by Goldtiger997, on Flickr

I accidentally squished the head, so I ended up with a not very good head. The head from my previous fold was better. Cut from the same sheet of tissue foil, I folded Kunsulu Jilkishiyeva's Lionhead Tamarin:

ImageLionhead Tamarin - Kunsulu Jilkishiyeva by Goldtiger997, on Flickr

I would have folded these models with black and orange paper, but surprisingly the packet of tissue paper I bought did not have any black tissue paper, so I just used brown instead. I would like to try making double tissue, but I am not aware of any places in my house that I would be able and allowed to make it on.

I also folded Lang's Night Hunter. I didn't notice the bent wing until several days after taking the photo.

ImageNight Hunter - Robert Lang by Goldtiger997, on Flickr

Lastly, I folded merlyngami's velociraptor for more crease pattern practice and because I liked the model. It was just a test fold with kami, so it's not very neat. I kind of improvised the wings.
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

I folded Komatsu's Tiger for a gift. Hardest thing I've ever folded. It took 9 hours total including practice. Unfortunately the only bicolored large paper that I had with sufficient contrast is that terrible gold Oshop TF. That was their first generation of papers that is just too soft. But I made due. Looks alot better than my practice attempt with tracing paper!

ImageKomatsu's Tiger by David Whitbeck, on Flickr

Now I can get back to Kawahata's Trex! Maybe an intermediate model first though, that was insane!
Bodo

Post by Bodo »

Kabutomushi

Designed and folded by me
one uncut square of Agua Paper ( 31x31 cm )
Boxpleat 32x32 grid
This is the first asymmetric beetle I designed. It has a really interesting structure.
I made a lot of testfolds ( 4 x folding the whole model ) before folding this one. The collapsing process is really interesting. I´m really happy that I was able to get ( almost ) all the details I wanted it to have, especially the eyes :D
I will publish the CP soon.

ImageKabutomushi by bodorigami, auf Flickr