What have you folded lately?

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Gerardo
Buddha

Re: What have you folded lately?

Post by Gerardo »

Folderp wrote:...A dragon, also "designed" by me.
...A sad soldier"designed" by me. Wet folded....
I like A Dragon. It's an attractive model :). Try to place the fold in focus.

About A Sad Soldier, A tank squashed him or her and that's the reason to be sad, right?
My awesome website: https://www.neorigami.com
and Instagram account: https://instagram.com/NeorigamiCom
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Gerardo wrote: I like A Dragon. It's an attractive model :). Try to place the fold in focus.
I plan to take a better picture soon.
Gerardo wrote: About A Sad Soldier, A tank squashed him or her and that's the reason to be sad, right?
Yep, something like that. :)
My flickr
I finally got me some mc!
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Dear Folderp, you've got some really nice folds there, so it's a pity that we can hardly see them. Please, please, please work on your photography setup. There are some simple rules that will enhance your photos a lot.
1.) Light! Make sure to place a lamp next to the model, if you have more them one lamp, put them to both sides of the model.
2.) Background. Your carpet might look nice but is heavily distracting for your camera. Use a plain sheet of paper instead that you lean against the wall in a soft L shape. You can fix it with a strip of tape. On top of that you place the model.
3.) Distance. If you hold your camera too near to your model, the camera can't focus! It is like if you hold a book directly in front of your eyes, you won't be able to read the text. Go a bit away and everything will be clear. It is always possible to crop a photo afterwards, to only show the part you want to show. Most smartphones already have this function inbuilt and there are lots of apps to help you with the task. For desktop computers I can recommend the free little program Irfanview.

Those are the three main points.
Two more things:
First, if you use your smartphone to take pictures, there is a really good camera app called "Open Camera".
Second, we've got a pretty old but good topic, that explains, that the best photography setup is a simple light booth, that you can easily build yourself with a cardboard box, some transparent paper, glue and lamps: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=10415
Please look at the pictures there.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

Quentin Trollip's Fibonacci 1,1,2,3,5,8 out of a single square.
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Brimstone wrote:Quentin Trollip's Fibonacci 1,1,2,3,5,8 out of a single square.
Nice!
Anyway, here's some (hopefully [-o<) better photos of some of the models, plus some new ones.
ImageGoldfish by Folderp, on Flickr
ImageA Dragon by Folderp, on Flickr

Despite the fact that my tissue foil ripped in multiple places, this turned out alright:
ImageAncient Dragon by Folderp, on Flickr

Here's a new design for this month's design challenge, based on an 8x8 grid:
ImagePhoenix by Folderp, on Flickr

And here's my new, smaller abridged Divine Dragon, although you probably can't tell that's what it is. I promise that is (supposed to be) a Divine Dragon. I say abridged because I had to skip/change some steps. Folded from 5 inch kami.
ImageSmaller Divine Dragon (Bahamut) by Folderp, on Flickr
My flickr
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

Folderp wrote:Anyway, here's some (hopefully [-o<) better photos of some of the models, plus some new ones.
A lot better :D! We're all learning little by little, trying to make the next pictures better than the ones before ;).
Folderp wrote:Phoenix by Folderp, on Flickr
It's climbing up and we're looking at its back. Am I right or are we looking at its belly and its floating vertically or standing on its rear paws?
DavidW

Post by DavidW »

Folderp, I am really impressed with your folding, especially the miniature Bahamut which is out of this world!

I'm sorry that your excellent work was met with what passes for sardonic wit or lectures on how to use a camera.

Please don't become discouraged. This forum is not a place that nurtures talent, but trust me you do have phenomenal talent and I look forward to following your work on Flickr.
Brimstone
Buddha

Post by Brimstone »

DavidW wrote:Folderp, I am really impressed with your folding, especially the miniature Bahamut which is out of this world!

I'm sorry that your excellent work was met with what passes for sardonic wit or lectures on how to use a camera.

Please don't become discouraged. This forum is not a place that nurtures talent, but trust me you do have phenomenal talent and I look forward to following your work on Flickr.
Contrary to what DavidW says I consider that this forum indeed nurtures talent in general not just referring to the comment about Folderp work which were clearly directed to his photographs and not his folding.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

@DavidW
I don't know what you mean with sardonic wit, but I really appreciate Folderp's work. But to be able to fully appreciate it I have to see it clearly. The advice I gave is not to punish Folderp, but to help him enhance what he shows to the world. I'm glad Folderp took up my advice and managed to get from:

ImageDragon by Folderp, on Flickr

to

ImageA Dragon by Folderp, on Flickr

See the difference?
I do and I'm happy to see such a good fold.
By the way Folderp, I really like your phoenix and hope you consider making diagrams for it in the near future.
thedeadsmellbad
Forum Sensei

Post by thedeadsmellbad »

FolderP nice folds!

I really like your dragon. What kind of paper did you use for the bahumut?

Strange as it sounds if the models are small enough I use the inside ledge of the bathtub for photos. The lighting is good and the white background works like a photobox. Of course everybody's is different, but if it works :D

Personally, this forum has helped me to improve at every turn for the last 13ish years. I've always experienced help and encouragement along the way. Thanks for being a part of the journey.

Unicorn
Designed by Roman Diaz
Folded from a 15cm square of duo foilImage
Last edited by thedeadsmellbad on September 22nd, 2018, 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Really good. And you are right, the bathtub works really well. :-)
Folderp

Post by Folderp »

Thanks everyone!
Gerardo, the phoenix is from the front, it's supposed to be flying.
DavidW, thanks, and nice violinist fold.
origami_8, I've started diagramming the phoenix. Be warned, I've never diagrammed before and they'll be hand drawn.
thedeadsmellbad, thanks, and nice unicorn. The Bahumut is from 60cm Terry tissue foil, like the Ancient Dragon.
Sorry for excessive edits, my phone (or my internet) doesn't like me doing long posts all at once.
My flickr
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Folderp wrote:I've started diagramming the phoenix. Be warned, I've never diagrammed before and they'll be hand drawn.
Cool!
You know, there's a first time for everything and non of us started out as a professional. I'm glad you are drawing diagrams, don't worry if they don't turn out perfect. If you manage to draw them, you accomplished more than many others and can be proud of yourself. :-)
Gerardo
Buddha

Post by Gerardo »

Fold Flat Gift Bag created by Grace159.

I folded it with a 20 x 20 cm (7 7/8 x 7 7/8 in) sheet of 75 g/m² colored paper.
Last edited by Gerardo on July 26th, 2019, 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grace159

Post by Grace159 »

Yay :)
You can also turn them into spinning tops.
https://steemit.com/origami/@gmatthe2/r ... inning-top
&
https://steemit.com/origami/@gmatthe2/r ... 7070ca.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-J120ZN using Tapatalk