Smallest Model Folded?

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
Duck

Smallest Model Folded?

Post by Duck »

So what’s the smallest model anyone here has folded?

I’ve heard of finished models being as small as 0.5cm and was wondering if anyone could come near (or even surpass) this size. Extra points based on complexity of course. :P

The smallest crane I’ve folded measures around 1.5cm from head to tail. I folded it during a rather boring chemistry lecture from a square of paper ripped off a piece of lined paper. If anyone would like a picture, I might be able to find one.
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

The smallest model I made was a crane from a four millimeter paper, the smallest complex model was Hideo Komatsu´s horse out of 2cm paper:

Last edited by origami_8 on July 15th, 2006, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Android raptor

Post by Android raptor »

Wow...the smallest thing I've folded would be some cranes a little smaller than a pencil eraser...
esato

Post by esato »

I saw on tv a man who folded tsurus using a magnifying glass and tweezers that were so small that they could rest on a rice grain. They were actually smaller than a rice grain.
Friet

Post by Friet »

The smallest thing I folded was Anibal Voyer's horse from 4 cm kami. Turned out as big as a 1 eurocent coin.
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

Anna said
The smallest model I made was a crane from a four millimeter paper
Thats crazy, I tried and I got a thing with wings, a tail, and a little thing almost like a head.... it is probably 1 1/2 mm long.

I have folded Eric Joisel's rat, and it turned out 17 cm square, and got a 2cm rat.

Aaron
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
DZIGGITAI

Post by DZIGGITAI »

there's a kid who lives in my neighborhood oddly enough who goes to the ousa conventions and folds things like Montroll's three-headed dragon out of 3cm paper.
Aznman

Post by Aznman »

That's pretty small :shock: How big is the finished model?

Aaron
Asian Rice- The best in the business...
Flickr Photos
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

A Salt seller, to sit on top of my salt seller rose. The smallest is 3mm across.

Here it is:

And here's the rose (my design):

There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos
Wordgames

Post by Wordgames »

My smallest is a crane from a square of apx 4mm, folded using only my hands (no tools), my prize for this feat was all the Fresh Orange I could drink at the bar that night.

The hardest bit was bisecting the lower flaps of the bird base, but for a list of the really small models Im sure there is a list on Joseph Wus page.
Fishgoth

Post by Fishgoth »

I probably won't win any records, but here's some jolly small origami.

1) One of my T-rexes and Montroll's steg, next to a 1p piece.

2) An ickle kawasaki rose. On top of the page from 'Origami for the Coinnesieur'. Or however it is spelt...

At some point, I'll have a go at folding a crane using an ENT operating microscope, when I find a piece of paper small and thin enough...
I once set up an origami PLC. But the business folded.
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

It never fails to amaze me how small you guys can make things :shock: . I think I'll stick to normal sized things now, seeing as I can't even come close to folding things the size that you guys do... :D But, tomorrow I think I'll try to make Charles Esseltine's dragon in minature :wink:
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
~folder~of~paper~

Post by ~folder~of~paper~ »

My friends dad loves origami almost as much as me, and like many of us, has attempted the 4mm paper crane. He folded it in the 80's though, and despite him taking good care of it and applying laquer, it disintegrated.
Moral:Keep an eye on your mini models!
Cupcake
Buddha

Post by Cupcake »

Here it is, as promised (even though it's a couple of days late):

Dragon in Flight 2.5 by Charles Esseltine, folded from a 6cm square piece of copy paper :wink:
Ryan MacDonell
My Designs
Tjips

Post by Tjips »

Oh, to be bored and an origamist! This crane fits on my thumbnail! (folded in class from tissue foil kin paper loving supplied by the gum company :lol: )

There is a time for everything, that time has been pre-ordained be almighty God. Trust Him, and no harm shall come to you. He will keep you safely inside his loving hands.

My Photos