Chris_T

A forum to exhibit your Origami work.
ForceFold

Re: Chris_T

Post by ForceFold »

:oops: Like I said, I haven't seen the movie since I was like, 14 so I don't really know what your talking about
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_PbfnG_25M

You should definitely watch it again! It's a fantastic film.
Origami_Domo

Post by Origami_Domo »

I checked out tadashimori's tutorials, and I was able to create a phoenix! I'll explain how I designed it, like how tadashimori did in his tutorials. The first thing I did was think of how many flaps the model would need. 4 toes on each leg, 2 legs, 2 wings, a tail, and a head. I then decided to use box pleating and circle packing to create the origami model. I planned out how big I want each flap to be. I folded the paper into a 24 x 24 grid. I decided the toes would be circles with 2 square radius on the bottom, along with the tail and legs. I only got 3 toes in the end, but I decided I would leave it at 3 toes and fix it later. Then, to make the legs, I would have to make the biggest circle I could out of the ramaining paper on the bottom. This won't get a tail, just legs, so I divided the remaining space into 4 parts instead of 2, which would me a tail and legs. Then, I moved up into the top part of the paper. Like on the bottom, I divided the top into 4 parts, which got me a neck and 2 flaps. I then had to think of a way to close up the top triangles to clear the horizontal and vertical creases that would be needed to collapse the top if they weren't closed up. I decided to go into the middle of the paper and on the remaining unfolded sides by turning the triangles into squares. This would get us the wings. However, we still have the two extra flaps at the top. You could just hide the paper into the the center of the base, where all the paper comes together, or simply cut them off. After I folded the model, I realized a few problems. The toes were to big, the legs and tail were to short, and the rest of the model wasn't very easy to fold due how big all the flaps were (they needed to be thinner). To fix everything, I changed the divisions into a 32 x 32 grid and made the toes with a 1 unit radius and made 4 toes this time. I folded it with a 30 x 30 cm sheet of Nicholas Terry's tissue foil, and it was a sucess! I wish I could upload some photos to help explain, but I don't have a camera :( I hope you could still understand. Happy folding :D
''We work in a rectangle. Almost square, but not quite. I've always wanted to work in an isosceles triangle.''
Trouble
Forum Sensei

Post by Trouble »

i really like your designs you should make cp's
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

Sebastian: Thank you, that's really nice to hear! I'm hoping to find the time to do some photodiagrams of one of my designs for the Christmas book, but apart from that I'd be happy to draw up some CPs at some point. If there's one in particular you'd like to see, send me a PM.

Origami_Domo: Glad to hear you've had success with designing! Borrow a camera if you can, it would be great to see how it worked out. I followed some of the instructions but I think I would need to see a CP to figure it out fully. Out of interest, was there a reason you posted it here? It's not a problem :D but I wondered if you meant to put it on the "How do you design your own origami models" thread?
Origami_Domo

Post by Origami_Domo »

Sorry for the delay in posting this, I was trying to figure out how to upload pictures. Yeah, I accidently wandered into this thread and must've forgotten when I went to post that, sorry. I did get a camera though, but am trying to figure out how to use it and how to put the pictures on a post. When I figure it all out, I'll post a photo of the CP or something.
''We work in a rectangle. Almost square, but not quite. I've always wanted to work in an isosceles triangle.''
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

Crease pattern for ET, by Chris Taylor

Based on 16x16 grid. Folds for the head (top right) are very approximate, it needs to be sculpted in 3D. If anyone does try to fold this, please post pictures, I'd love to see it.
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

So, one of my aims for this year was to experiment with wet-folding. Here is one of my early attempts. Comments and advice would be much appreciated!

White Rhino, by Quentin Trollip
Folded by Chris Taylor, from 9" square of elephant hide.
Last edited by chris_t on January 17th, 2013, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

That's a pretty good fold I'd say.

The only thing I would change is the big horn, which I would try to close a bit more (wet and shape, dry under constraint, remove the constraint).
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

Thank you for the kind comments gachepapier. It's especially good to hear from you, as the finishing on the models of yours that I have seen always looks fantastic! Good point regarding the horn, I will give that a go.
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

that is a nice Rhino
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
GWB origami
Forum Sensei
Location: somewhere in the evil netherworld riding a giant, three headed tarantula

Post by GWB origami »

i am not great at wetfolding but that is really cool! :D
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

Thank you both! I was pleased with it myself. :D
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

It's been a while - I should probably update my gallery! I'm just trying to get back into origami after a bit of a hiatus. Last summer I was quite busy preparing for my wedding, which included a number of origami elements. However, after folding over 40 copies of Jun Maekawa's peacock, I had had about enough of origami for a while...

We did these as place settings for the girls...
(Photo courtesy of PH Weddings)

... and these for the boys. The original plan was peacocks for all but I soon realised that way lay insanity...

This was the cake topper - Neil Elias's Last Waltz...

...and these were the invitations. By the way, if anyone knows the author of this design I'd be grateful to know - I learnt it off the internet but long ago forgot what the website was or who designed it.
Last edited by chris_t on January 17th, 2013, 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

Most recently, I designed a manta ray for ODT3 - I was quite pleased with the simplicity of the design but unfortunately came across too good an opponent!

Manta ray, by Chris Taylor. Folded from 8" elephant hide.