ODT3

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Langko

Re: ODT3

Post by Langko »

OrigamiGeek wrote:Langko I was very hard between you and ShuaiJanaiDesu I would say if there were two winners you would be the second ;)
Haha thanks ;)
I honestly don't care too much about winning or losing. Flickr alone is proof enough to me that people like and enjoy what I create/fold, I don't need to win this compition to prove that to myself. I was going to quit the compition regardless if I won or lost in the last round against ShuaiJanaiDesu. I entered this compitition more for the enjoyment, not for winning. But it seems to me that there wasn't much enjoyment in this compitition. I won my first round because the guy didn't submit anything which is annoying/frustrating. The fact that that Gab quit running the tournament half way through, that there are still people that don't submit models and that the loser bracket is an absolute mess proves the lack of interest and organization that this tournament has. I'm not trying to be negative just giving my honest opinion.
The only limit in origami is your imagination and your patience
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/langko/
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

I have no objection to anything shortlodude says, and seeing how things have started going, i'm glad something's being done about it.
'Death, taxes and teddy bears- three things you can always rely on'
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
[url=http://%20the-intelligence-division.bandcamp.com]My bandcamp page[/url]
shortloldude

Post by shortloldude »

Langko, I am glad you are not dropping out because you lost, but you should have said something a while ago if Gab running the tournament was that important to you. As for my organization, I did this in my spare time hoping to continue the tournament, I did not see you step up and offer better organization. If an entrant does not submit a model, there is nothing I can do about that. I have created some basic rules as well PM every entrant to get their models in and what the deadlines are. I do not see a way to do more than that, even if I could I would not have the time.

Harpseal, thanks for agreeing with my methods, it is good to know I am on the right track.
Please, add me on flickr and tell me what you think!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53465278@N02/
Langko

Post by Langko »

Gab running the tournament was not important to me. I am just saying that his lack of involvement proves the lack of interest that this tournament has. I don't care who runs the show as long as they do a good job and believe me, I think you are doing a good job at running the tournament. The loser bracket being a mess is not your fault but the fault of everyone else not setting up topics and so forth... And again, I am not saying that people not submitting stuff is your fault. I am fully aware that you have no control over that. But that just proves my point that people have lacked interest in the compitition. And as you said, I didn't step up an offer better organization when maybe I should have. But if you want my advice, the losers bracket should only be among those who lost in the first round. That way the losers bracket keeps up to pace with the winners bracket and there isn't any points where the winners bracket will sit idle. It is also less confusing doing it this way because you are not constantly shifting the losers from the winners bracket into the losers braket. Eg: if you have 32 contestants you have 16 duels in the first round. The 16 winners go into the winners bracket and the 16 losers go in the losers bracket. From then on in if you lose you are knocked out of the compitition regardless if you are in the winners bracket. The winner and runner up of the winners bracket takes 1st and 2nd. The winner and runner up from the losers bracket takes 3rd and 4th. I hope that makes sense. If it seemed like I was attacking you in my first post I didn't mean it and I am sorry. I was more frustrated at the lake of involvement and organization by some of the competitors than by you.
The only limit in origami is your imagination and your patience
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/langko/
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

I understand the frustration. But personally, I don't think that the way to solve a lack of involvement is to quit...
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

If you aren't staying involved and not posting, the best thing you can do ( for the sake of everyone else) is to quit. If you're keeping up, quitting is the worst thing you can do, however, arguing about organisation should be kept to pms, where it doesn't distract anything, unless it's so so important that the whole competition has to be held back. At least the inactive people aren't the ones complaining. :)

By posting what I've posted, I have not accused anyone of getting in the way. Lanko's points are all valid to a point.
My suggestion is that
either: the losers are wiped and the competition continues
or: the competition is split in two. The losers all become equal ( whichever round they were knocked out in) and they continue, and the winners continue as well. From now on, all losers are knocked out, wherever they lost, and under whatever circumstances.
If someone (shortlodude) decides on something and just gets on with it, decisively, no one can complain.
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

Looks like (<s>people really have a thing against me and</s>) Chesscuber is a great designer. :lol:

So when will the loser bracket be updated? I haven't seen another topic yet.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

I dont think people have anything against you! You just lost by a tiny margin. Complexity doesnt always mean a better model.
shortloldude

Post by shortloldude »

It looks like Argonaut vs Roodborst is the final poll open, and it is neck and neck. as soon as it ends i will create a bracket that evening and post deadlines
Argonaut

Post by Argonaut »

I'm sorry- my poll was open ended. You can call it at any time, although some votes have still been coming in.
Eat. Sleep. Fold Paper.
shortloldude

Post by shortloldude »

Hrm, I would like the 3rd round to get underway soon. I think tonight (in around 8-10 hours from this post) I will see how it stands and start the next round if that is alright.
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

So is it going up?
shortloldude

Post by shortloldude »

Wow I am so sorry, I could have sworn I posted it the other day. I decided to cancel the loser bracket, there are far too many no-shows and drop outs at this point (I think 1 group actually did a topic and competed this round). If someone else wants to manage it themselves, that is fine but I am not going to.

Have a topic picked for Tues Feb 19. Models due March 11 which is when polls go up, polls close March 18. Good luck everyone!
Harpseal
Buddha

Post by Harpseal »

The topic is up! (chesscuber ) I try to keep my topics interesting. Tell me if I went a bit too far.
-Garfield the Cat.
My Neorigami
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

I guess it's fair enough to cancel the losers' bracket since there have been so few getting involved. However, I was looking forward to having another challenge. Is there anyone else who's no longer in the competition (or wasn't in the first place) who would like to do an informal duel? It would probably be over a slightly longer period - maybe 6 weeks instead of 3.