ODT3

Friendly design and folding competitions.
gab

ODT3

Post by gab »

Shortloldude is the new commissioner of the tournament.
shortloldude wrote: Updated brackets:

The deadline to choose the 3 topics is Sunday January 13, models must be entered by Saturday February 2, and the polls should end the following Saturday.
Copied from his post on the top of page 9:
shortloldude wrote:OK I want to start by saying my plans for the next round so everyone can be on the same page and anyone can voice concerns. I want to start by saying for the loser bracket, I will pair people who actually submitted models together and those who did not submit models together. It was the holidays and I understand it can get very busy so I want to at least include them in the loser bracket.

Next I want to address the due dates. I do not want any round pushed back anymore, so from now on 1 week after polls open the round is over. If you did not have your model in by the poll open, you lose your round end of story. After the brackets are updated everyone should make the forum post with the 3 rules and each entrant will have 4 days to decide the 3 topics and which topic they will use. After the 4 days the challenge will run for 20 days upon which the poll will start and run for 7 days.

The 20 days to fold was from the original ODT, if there are complaints about any of this I would be happy to change it as long as we stick to a standard.

If someone enters a model that does not fit the criteria of the challenge, the person must be notified as soon as possible so they can get a new model in. If you have ANY questions about the 3 topics picked please voice them instead of risking making a model that does not fit in. If your model does not follow the rules picked by the time the poll is up, you will go to the losers bracket unless something crazy happened.

Finally I see there was a tie for Rickygami vs. GWB origami. I am not sure how to handle this. Would you like me to extend the deadline? I think if the mods are OK with it we should make a post in the general origami forums that there is a tie to get more members to vote, along with a link to the round. This would make more people see it I hope and want to vote to break the tie.

Actually that was not finally, because I had a question about the loser bracket. Should there be a winner of that bracket and end it or have the winner of the loser bracket face the winner of the winner bracket? Any opinions are great, if no one responds I will just keep the brackets separate.
THE BRACKET IS UP!

The tournament will be double elimination, and you can take first place overall having won the losers' bracket. The letters in the primary bracket correspond to slots in the losers' bracket, which will be posted shortly.

The first round will begin on the first day of December. Subsequent important dates to follow. Whoever is on "top" in a given matchup should make the thread and propose three topics for folding. I am leaving some time for people to organize and voice any complaints or issues. If you need to contact me, I am available via private message, direct email (gaberosiak[at]comcast.net), or over Facebook.

I'm willing to accept people to fill those five bye spots if you get to me before December 1.

=====================================================================

Original post:
Registration for the third Origami Duel Tournament begins here and now!

Just post here or message me if you want to join. The last tournament had 26 entries - can we beat that? I'm not setting a definitive deadline for entries just yet - when it looks like we're getting close to a good number, I'll give you a few days' warning for stragglers to join before I make the official bracket. The matchups will be determined randomly.

We'll follow the same rules as before: The competitor on "top" for a given matchup will create the thread and provide three suggestions for the theme of the duel, and the "bottom" competitor gets to choose. You'll have three weeks to fold, and in the fourth week you should add a poll to your thread to allow the forum to vote on who gets to advance to the next round. I'll put up a schedule of important dates (round starts, poll starts) and keep a list of the active matches here.

From the end of the ODT 2 thread, I already have the following names for ODT3: Argonaut, chesscuber98, Multislash, Raptorex55, GWB origami, Alexorigami, Harpseal, and myself.

One more thing - do we want to have a losers' bracket this time? (See the poll).

TL;DR: ODT 3. Join up.
Last edited by gab on January 10th, 2013, 6:16 pm, edited 12 times in total.
[flickrEtsy] You can also friend me on Facebook; just be all "origami, man!" and I'll be all "origami, bro!" and then we'll have fun Facebook adventures.
loganorigami

Re: ODT3

Post by loganorigami »

I'll join!
"the first step towards failure is trying"

my flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/65884349@N03/
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Losers bracket might be good..
Gives more chance for other designers to come up..
Multislash

Post by Multislash »

I'll join!
Times to design some origami models
wilsonorigami

Post by wilsonorigami »

I'll join as well.
loganorigami

Post by loganorigami »

What do you mean by single or double elimination?
"the first step towards failure is trying"

my flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/65884349@N03/
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

Single elimination is when you have a power of 2 people participate, i.e: 2, 4, 8, 16 etc. and when you lose your match you are out of the competition.
Double elimination means that you can lose 1 match but you can still win the competition. As an example:
You start with a tournament that has 4 participants. The following matches will occur:
- P1 vs. P2
- P3 vs. P4
Assume P1 and P3 win so P2 and P4 will lose. P1 and P3 will go into the winners bracket (W-Bracket), P2 and P4 will go into the losers bracket (L-Bracket).
Then we have the following matches:
In the W-Bracket: P1 vs P3.
In the L-Bracket: P2 vs P4.
Now assume in W-Bracket P1 wins and in the L-Bracket P2 wins. This means that P4 is out of the competition. On the other hand P3 lost from P1 but has another chance. P3 will go against P2. So:
In the W-Bracket: P1
In the L-Bracket: P2 vs. P3.
Out of competition: P4.
Now assume in the L-Bracket P2 wins from P3. So we have:
In the W-Bracket: P1
In the L-Bracket: P2
Out of competition: P3 and P4.
Now the final match: The winner of the W-Bracket will go against the winner of the L-Bracket.
Final: P1 vs. P2.
Now assume that P2 wins. P1 has now lost 1 time so we get a rematch! (it isn't called double elimination for nothing :). If P1 in this case had won the tournament is over because P2 has already lost one time)
So we get the final final:
FF: P1 vs. P2.
Now assume that P2 wins again!

If you check back P2 has lost his/her/its first game but still won the competition.
It's a tiny more elaborate for more participants but the main idea stays the same :)
Last edited by FlareglooM on September 23rd, 2012, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Flickr

FlareglooM
malifold

Post by malifold »

I'm in!
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

Amazing description FlareGloom
I have never seen such a well explained post
ShuaiJanaiDesu

Post by ShuaiJanaiDesu »

Sure, I'll join.
and I agree, great explanation.
But one thing i want to say: since P1 only lost once(in the final match) there needs to be a rematch of that final round, right? P1 vs. P2
Double elimination means you're out of the tournament when you lose twice(Whereas in single elim., you're out of the tournament when you lose once)
correct me if I'm wrong...
FlareglooM

Post by FlareglooM »

You are correct. If it is your first loss you get a rematch. Will add :), ty.
My Flickr

FlareglooM
akugami
Forum Sensei

Post by akugami »

please put me on the competitors list, too.
if you're going to visit my little flickr_gallery, please leave a comment - a critical one is welcome, too, if necessary: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57625237@N02/
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

I'd like to participate!
Argonaut

Post by Argonaut »

I am ok with double elimination however, that would mean that there would be an extra round where the winners bracket would sit idle and it would lengthen the tournament. That may be a good thing, though, as it could give a break in the middle to prevent burnout (this is all assuming we have a lot of people). Either way I am glad to participate and if you need any help, I'd be willing.
Eat. Sleep. Fold Paper.
Argonaut

Post by Argonaut »

Flare gloom gives a food description of one version of double elimination, however, that system wouldn't use a bracket. Each round you would have a list of people who have won, lost, and a list of people who are out. In debate we call this the "up", "down", and "out" lists.
Another system we could use would use brackets: in this system the winners side looks just like a single elimination bracket, and there is a separate bracket for the losers. When you lose a duel you would switch over to the losing side and fight till you got out. The winner of the losers bracket takes third, as the finalists would take first and second.
The first system would be more complicated to run, but might be considered more fair. I think it is worth deliberating on to see which system we want. Perhaps we should use a poll?
If I was confusing or vague, please ask and I will clarify.
Eat. Sleep. Fold Paper.