Lich King

Friendly design and folding competitions.
SasukeUchiha

Lich King

Post by SasukeUchiha »

There is one particular model that I would request as a challenge. I want to see who can fold it faster. Me, or you. There is only one rule. That is make the model. The model I am talking about is the Lich King(WoW) There is only one way of making it at the moment is by getting the cp which is published in the VOG 50 hours of origami book. If you do make it, please let me know.
Baltorigamist

Re: Lich King

Post by Baltorigamist »

I don't think these kinds of challenges are suitable for a forum like this.

1) Not very many people can fold from CPs.
2) Of those, even fewer have the book.
3) Of those, even fewer have the paper and/or experience to fold the model.
4) There's no way to guarantee a fair challenge. You could have it half-collapsed before we even start.

I think it's a legit challenge, as the model definitely looks difficult (I have the book), but I'm skeptical as to the number of people who might participate.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Langko

Post by Langko »

I haven't seen any one fold this apart from the designer... I don't think many people will take part
The only limit in origami is your imagination and your patience
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/langko/
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

I dont have the book but i want to see some one take place in the challenge.
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

I am going to try and fold this, the size recommendation 100cm by 100cm, do you think I can make it with 58cm by 58cm? Its hard getting large paper here. :D
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

It could be done, depending on the type of paper. Tracing paper or tissue paper would work, even foil.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

Excellent, thanks a lot! :) :D
Sunburst

Post by Sunburst »

The cp isn't all that complicated, really. I'm sure it could be done with 58x58 cm paper. The only hard part would be getting the 192th or something for the details, if you're willing to try that out.
I'd love to try the model myself, but 1,2m kraft paper is the best thing at my disposal at the moment and not super good for shaping. Might try it anyways.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I've honestly been considering trying the model myself, if only for the sake of folding it. The largest paper I have is 36"--about 92cm--and about 50gsm. It's bond paper, though, and I suck at shaping.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
Langko

Post by Langko »

I am thinking about giving this a try too. I understand most of the cp. Just a question about the sword (the bottom right corner of the cp). On the cp there is the large blank square but there is no large black square on the sword. Does this area get pleated or something after the cp is collapsed? I hope you guys understand what I mean.
Baltorigamist

Post by Baltorigamist »

I'm thinking that square might be where the blade connects to the handle (can't remember the technical term). I really like the look of the CP as well--it's almost Eric Josiel-ish. Definitely gonna be a challenge with all those 3D parts, but it looks like fun.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

chesslo wrote:I am going to try and fold this, the size recommendation 100cm by 100cm, do you think I can make it with 58cm by 58cm? Its hard getting large paper here. :D
I'm folding this right now. I wouldn't go smaller than 30" square. My sheet is 34" square, or about 90cm and it's about as small as I'd attempt it. At that size the pleats are about 1/8" wide.

There are missing creases where the sword is, so you just kinda have to fold it the right width. The head is pretty difficult to collapse (still struggling a bit with it), and the photos in the book are pretty useless. There are a couple of other photos on flickr and such that show things better.

I've got it all collapsed except for the head, but I'm only folding a couple hours a week right now so it will be some time before mine is finished...
Langko

Post by Langko »

chesslo wrote:I am going to try and fold this, the size recommendation 100cm by 100cm, do you think I can make it with 58cm by 58cm? Its hard getting large paper here. :D
I found out the auther folded it with 60cm paper and it worked out really well. See here: viewtopic.php?p=65716 Scroll down a bit.

Mummykicks: good luck on your fold! I look forward to seeing it. Thanks for clearing that up about the sword, I thought there was missing creases there... The head does look like the hardest part to collapse. Is the rest of the cp hard? A lot of it looks like its not flat foldable...
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

Picture please mummykicks! :D

58 cm by 58 cm sounds doable after seeing that picture by Iamsam. :)

The sword will take some time to get it right though.
Langko

Post by Langko »

Yeah, the sword will take a while...
Yes, I agree, pictures please mummykicks! Because as you said the pictures in the book are useless :)