Lich King

Friendly design and folding competitions.
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Re: Lich King

Post by chesslo »

Lanko, are you going to fold this?
Langko

Post by Langko »

I am going to try :)
But I have a a few other models that I want to fold first...
I've got 3 months of holidays so I have plenty of time to work the CP out, and hopefully fold it.
The only limit in origami is your imagination and your patience
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/langko/
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

I think I'll try it over my winter break too ! Good luck Langko!
Langko

Post by Langko »

Thanks! good luck to you too :D
The only limit in origami is your imagination and your patience
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/langko/
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

Langko wrote: Mummykicks: good luck on your fold! I look forward to seeing it. Thanks for clearing that up about the sword, I thought there was missing creases there... The head does look like the hardest part to collapse. Is the rest of the cp hard? A lot of it looks like its not flat foldable...
Getting it collapsed is difficult, especially where the sword is. There are some places where it overlaps (i.e. two mountain folds right next to each other) that make figuring out how it collapses difficult. It doesn't fold flat as far as I can tell. I just haven't had more than 2 hours a week to fold lately, so it's taking a really long time. Still struggling to figure out what is what on the head, I think I'm close, but there are actually 5 points on the top of the head, 3 long ones and two small ones, with some missing creases in there too I believe.
I think once the head is collapsed it will be pretty easy to shape, but it will definitely require mc to hold things together...

google lich king origami and there is a good green one, and a dark reddish two color photo. Both of which link back to the forum I believe
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

What kind of paper are you using mummykicks?
SasukeUchiha

Post by SasukeUchiha »

To everyone, the model that you see in the forum (red one) is the first version of this model. It is folded by the author. In the book he mentions it. He also says that v1 was a lot simpler than the one that we are making! you can't make it with 58x58 cm. Another update: I screwed up very badly while folding my lich king, therefore I had to restart :( I am at the grid making part so far.
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

I would do this is I had the book and it is about time that someone finally folds this :) congratulations to anyone attempting this model.

Jake
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
chesslo
Forum Sensei

Post by chesslo »

@ SasukeUchiha

I agree 58x58 is pushing abit, folding a grid of 64 leaves 0.7 cm gaps. :?
mummykicks

Post by mummykicks »

chesslo wrote:What kind of paper are you using mummykicks?
My first fold of it is a 34" square of 7lb tissue with tracing paper that I had lying around. At that size the pleats are about 1/8", I don't think I'd try it any smaller than that. Thickness isn't an issue, as there just are not many places where there are a lot of layers together, so kraft might not be bad for a first attempt.
I'm still stuck on the head for the most part, but haven't worked on it in a while now. Decided to start folding Andrey's deer head (something diagrammed for a change), then decided I needed better music to fold to and went down a rabbit hole rebuilding some old speakers of mine. I'll probably get back to it around christmas.
If someone else figures out the head before I do please post pics.
SasukeUchiha

Post by SasukeUchiha »

Has anybody made any progress on this?
I am finally picking this back up, as I just could not get a good enough square to use. It was irregularly cut paper, so it was all a waste of time. I got a roll of tracing paper, 64cmx20m, 2 parallel edges. That's all I need. I will start again with the intention of finishing the darn thing. Anybody up for the challenge?
greencube07

Post by greencube07 »

I'm not sure this is a design challenge,but I guess I can upload my own design..right?
It's been months after I uploaded my own Lich King design on my flickr(I'm sure at least one person might have saw it.. :) )
Here it is :
Flickr에서 green cube님의 Lich King

Lich King
Designed and folded by me

It's folded out of traditional base, and I hope this design would help you guys in anyways... :)
SasukeUchiha

Post by SasukeUchiha »

Yeah, I've seen than fold. Nice design!!! I do like it very much. I am wondering about the origami lich king from the book VOG: 50 Hours of origami. It has a cp, and it's incredibly difficult. I have only seen 2 others that have folded it. I am planning to save the 3rd spot for myself :D. You should try it; you seem very skilled. It's not too much fun collapsing the head I bet, but it's worth a try.
SasukeUchiha

Post by SasukeUchiha »

Well, I am ready to start collapsing. I have tried test folding something, but some of the cp just doesn't really make sense... Does anybody more experienced than myself have any idea as to what should be collapsed first? I thought I should do the sword first, then the hand pleats, the legs, and lastly the head. Is that the best way to go? It seems like the only way to collapse it is everything at once, as it doesn't seem to fold flat in the end... How far have you gotten mummykicks? I have checked everywhere, but I have found nothing... Do you mind posting pictures of your model so far? It would help greatly!
SasukeUchiha

Post by SasukeUchiha »

Alright, I have collapsed everything except for the head. The sword was difficult, but it was rewarding in the end. I haven't tried the head yet, but I will tomorrow. It have also tried shaping one of the legs, and it turns out that these suckers have great shaping potential! The pictures in the book show you the model in the early stages of shaping, and that really helps! If anybody has any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I am hoping to finish the model next week some time. If anybody would like pictures, I could post them.