Informal Origami Design Duels

Friendly design and folding competitions.
spiritofcat

Informal Origami Design Duels

Post by spiritofcat »

Since this has become a fairly popular ongoing activity I thought it could do with a better first post.
The original first post is preserved in a smaller font at the end of the post, but for now, here's a clearer explanation of how things go.

This thread is the place to organise informal design duels.

The general procedure is to post that you're looking for a duel, and then wait for someone else to express interest in duelling against you.

From there, one of you creates a new thread for your duel.

In the first post of the new thread you should include a list of three possible topics for your duel, plus any restrictions you want to place on paper size, shape, cutting, gluing, etc. and set a deadline.

Your opponent should then choose which of the three topics you will both design around, and will accept your restrictions and deadline, or suggest modifications to them.

Once both duelists have agreed upon the topic, restrictions and deadline, the duel is on.
You have until the agreed deadline to design a model that fits the theme and restrictions, fold it and post photographs of the result.

Generally it is acceptable to submit more than one entry if you feel so inclined, but it would be good form to elect which of your entries should be considered in determining the winner once the deadline arrives.

When the deadline arrives the topic starter should modify the first post to include a poll so that the forum members can vote on a winner. Polls should have a limited lifetime so that a clear winner can be determined. Seven days is generally considered appropriate.
It is not mandatory, but including pictures in the poll itself will make it easier for the voters to see exactly what they are voting on without having to sift through the individual posts of the topic.
The IMG tags that are used to display pictures in a post work just as well in creating a poll.

Of course, the above is only a guide. As long as the contestants agree, you can change the process however you want.
For example you can have a duel with more than two contestants, as a free for all, or in teams.
Anything goes as long as everyone is having fun and being inspired to come up with new and interesting designs.

With the losers bracket of the ODT3 being cancelled there are some folks who are no longer involved in the tournament but would still like to put their design skills to the test in against others.

Lets use this thread to discuss and organise individual duels so that we don't clog up the ODT3 thread too much.

So far we've had expressions of interest from:
chris_t
Baltorigamist
Crease
loganorigami
Oriamigeek
yevgen
Kyle2952
Raptorex55
kareshi
wilsonorigami
and myself.

Typically a duel is between two people, but it might be fun to do some kind of royal rumble or even team based contest. What do people think?
Last edited by spiritofcat on April 11th, 2013, 2:50 am, edited 7 times in total.
Baltorigamist

Re: Informal Origami Design Duels

Post by Baltorigamist »

How would a team-based challenge work? Do we all design the same category and stack them against each other?

Regardless, I feel like a neutral party should decide topics, or at least we all give ideas and vote on them.
If one of us is really close to completing a complex model and decides that as the topic, it would give them an unfair advantage over the rest of us.
After the fall, we rise.

My Flickr
OrigamiGeek
Forum Sensei

Post by OrigamiGeek »

could I join? I would love to learn designing thing better. I started learning circle packing but I am not that good at it.
Check out my gallery and don't forget to leave a comment!
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Baltorigamist wrote:How would a team-based challenge work? Do we all design the same category and stack them against each other?

Regardless, I feel like a neutral party should decide topics, or at least we all give ideas and vote on them.
If one of us is really close to completing a complex model and decides that as the topic, it would give them an unfair advantage over the rest of us.
I don't really have any clear vision of how a team based challenge would work.
I mostly just put the idea there since someone else suggested having more than 2 contestants per duel.

As for deciding topics, I'm pretty happy with the system the ODT is using. One contestant lists a number of possible topics and the other chooses from that list.
But again, this is informal, so people can make up their own ways of doing things if they want.
OrigamiGeek wrote:could I join? I would love to learn designing thing better. I started learning circle packing but I am not that good at it.
Yep, anyone is welcome to join. I've added your name to the list in the first post now.
Kyle2952

Post by Kyle2952 »

I'll join! I need to practice box pleating.
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/89546245@N05
Comments welcome!!
Raptorex55

Post by Raptorex55 »

I'll try, but I may or may not have the time...
Crease

Post by Crease »

Well maybe you could split it into two teams so at the moment it looks like about 5 per team and then a topic (from another member) is posted and the teams have to decide between themselves who will take part based on their areas of interest/strengths/time they have at the moment. Then everyone is only allowed to be part of one of the challenges so if you do the first one you can't take part in one of the other ones, someone else from your team must do them and you just have to support them! If any of you have seen/remember Friends Like These, that's the sort of format I am imagining. :)
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

Wow, there's more interest than I was expecting! I think the idea for a team competition is a good one, so that it's not just another version of ODT. Crease, I think your idea is a good one, although it would need someone external to volunteer to suggest topics. The only thing I was wondering was, given the issues with ODT that some people have been struggling to find the time to complete models, whether it might be good to have a format where it doesn't matter too much if not everyone from a team submits a model. I am imagining a situation there are perhaps 3 teams of 3 (I think 9 people have expressed interest so far) and there is a single topic. To come up with the topic, we could each submit one topic and then vote on which to do. Everyone tries to submit a model and at the end they are judged collectively, so if one person doesn't manage to submit it would count against the team a bit but wouldn't completely stop their chances. The entries would hopefully complement each other - each member of the team could give a slightly different interpretation of the topic.

If it worked well, we could have a subsequent round based on the topic that was voted 2nd, etc. If more people decide they would like to join then it would be easy to add them to one of the teams, even in the middle of a round.

I dunno, it's not a perfect idea. What do people think? Like I say, I think Crease's suggestion is also a good one, but it would rely on everyone submitting a model to avoid more situations of uncontested duels.
chris_t

Post by chris_t »

Of course, if that's all a bit complicated, we could just pair off and use the tried-and-tested duel format...
Fluffy
Forum Sensei

Post by Fluffy »

Baltorigamist wrote:Regardless, I feel like a neutral party should decide topics, or at least we all give ideas and vote on them. If one of us is really close to completing a complex model and decides that as the topic, it would give them an unfair advantage over the rest of us.
Dibs on being neutral party. :D
My flickr page ~ http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeorigami/
My gallery ~ http://snkhan.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=11485
Feel free to leave comments or constructive critisicm. Thanks! :)
kareshi

Post by kareshi »

I'd like to try this, I keep missing the actual duel setups.
Alexorigami

Post by Alexorigami »

Fluffy wrote:
Dibs on being neutral party. :D
Beat me to it :x
Spiritofcat, you might want to make a poll for the participants to vote on the number of teams and members in 1 team.
Another idea would be the teams having to fold models that go together on the chosen subject (the most basic example, although not very practical, would be a fork, a spoon and a knife for a topic such as household objects/kitchenware). Of course, that would require great coordination between the team's members and might not be feasible. Just an idea.
All of this talk has been about teams. But the question is: is everyone OK with teams or do you want individual duels too?
I'm not sure why I'm manifesting so much interest about this since I don't really know how to design and I won't be participating :)
Kyle2952

Post by Kyle2952 »

Hm.... If there are another four people, we could do a tournament arranged like odt3, but with 16 people. We would need someonw who wants to run it too though
Comments welcome!!
loganorigami

Post by loganorigami »

I would organise brackets if I was still allowed to participate, though the brackets may be typed as it is quicker than what is done now
"the first step towards failure is trying"

my flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/65884349@N03/
Kyle2952

Post by Kyle2952 »

I think that would probably be ok logan... shortoldude is running and participating in odt3.
Comments welcome!!