Monthly Folding Challenge: MAR 2013

Friendly design and folding competitions.
firstfold
Forum Sensei

Re: Monthly Folding Challenge: MAR 2013

Post by firstfold »

I think in terms of complexity of folds, three models caught my eye. I know that you have put quite a bit of effort in these models - the long tailed Parrot (with Toes) and the Quetzal with its distinctive wings and color change and the Praying Mantis with its many features. When I judge I often look on the web for similar models for comparison. In all three cases there are more than one similar models on the web of equal or greater complexity which also had better artistic merit. If you do a web image search for “Origami Mantis”, “Origami Parrot” or even “Origami Quetzal” you will see what I mean. It’s tough to win a challenge with birds and bugs. I think I would like to see something a little different to make these entries a bit more distinctive. I really like the way the parrot was displayed (background) and the wing structure of the Quetzal. Another person judging this contest may have chosen these as winners.

I think using the word spelling of “Green” added a bit of whimsy. But for me there are just too many cases of creating letters in origami. You could make the case that script letters are more unique but I know of one artist who created three dimensional script letters and each letter used a different folding procedure (type of elbow bend) for each letter used in the word “ORIGAMI”. I think for that model I would like to see a little more care in how the letters are formed or something that makes the presentation of these letters more distinctive.

I like to see things that no one else has folded before or a clearly new approach to a fold. In this category, I think there are three models. I am the kind of guy who really goes for originality so these will be my choice for the winners.

The Ben 10 Omnitrix by Tahorigami is a clearly unique subject matter. I had no idea of who Ben 10 was. It has some room for improvement so it gets third. Keep looking around there are many things that have never been folded before.

The Rhythm of Spring by SnowBlue deserves second place where the green is just the small green hint of what is to come and you really know that because of the shape “It is time for Spring”. SnowBlue has some great work – please go take a look at his work on Flickr and add some nice comments.

In first place I chose Rank Weeds by Sebl because (1) Model presents a Common fold of a Heron along with part of the fold representing the environment a very unique combination! and (2) the blintzed frog-base used in making the model has been reworked in a most interesting way to achieve the final effect and (3) the name choice “rank weeds” makes you wonder what is to come from behind those weeds. Sebl’s work frequently displays a combination of Artistry and Originality that are tough to beat. Please go take a look on Flickr and add some more praise.

My congratulations to all entries. Keep on entering because sometimes persistence and a judge with a different mindset can lead to a challenge win. We all win when new or better folded ideas are presented. For every win I have had in these challenges, I have had about 10 to 15 losses – persistence pays off!
Charles "Doc" Santee
Flicker: https://www.flickr.com/photos/firstfold/
See action origami on Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/firstfold
chesscuber98
Forum Sensei

Post by chesscuber98 »

I love how you explained why you chose the winning entries. Congrats to the winners!
-sebl-

Post by -sebl- »

:oops: thanks a lot for these kinds words Firstfold !
so I hope to have a good judgement for the april's challenge :wink:

cogratulation to all !
Ramiel

Post by Ramiel »

I loved those weeds! I would have picked them myself :)