Monthly Folding Challenge: June 2013

Friendly design and folding competitions.
Edg

Re: Monthly Folding Challenge: June 2013

Post by Edg »

Thanks! Wish I hadn't made sharp creases all the way down though, looks a bit rough on the wave part, but I was rushing to get it posted. I had messed around using the pleats to make more complex waves but I think sometimes simplicity is best.
gachepapier
Forum Sensei

Post by gachepapier »

Sadly, I've only got four models to judge - the good news is that I don't think it should keep me from using a podium with three steps, and four medals.

Here's my shot at giving you guys constructive feedback, don't see it as me trying to teach you anything or saying that I would've done it better, I actually did doodle a bit to see how I would do and have nothing convincing to show for it. Hopefully it will provide you with some insight into my heart:

3rd place (tied, even thhough I really tried to avoid this)

Eamon, nice Stork, though a rather classic model, a bird base to do a bird :) - I've done this myself, I'll admit and I do like the colour change, but I'm missing a surprise. Also, the picture doesn't quite allow to tell where the four points of the bird base are, are there two legs ?

Marco, your fish looks quite efficient, I can spot no obvious waste of paper and it does not remind me of anything I've seen in that vein, well done. However, even though proportions of fishes can vary so wildly that pretty much anything goes, this one doesn't quite look "real" to me.

2nd place

Jeko, cartoony pinguins are also a bit of a classic (not to suggest they are not your invention) - this seems to get reinvented from time to time. The feet do give the model a nice personal touch, though and this strikes a chord !

1st place

Edg, this is a nice take on a whale. I'm not totally convinced by the realisation, I don't think we should see as many layers on the side of the body, but it's a nice idea and still a pretty good shot ! You're the next judge !

Congrats everyone !
mes p'tits plis (now also in English)
Edg

Post by Edg »

Happy days!
Congrats to all participants...new models are created, so everybody wins!

Gachepapier: Thanks for all the constructive comments. I totally agree with you on the whale, the pleats on show are not a good look! Maybe I'll come at the idea from a completely different angle.
spiritofcat

Post by spiritofcat »

Congratulations to everyone who entered, and especially to Edg!