"Mountain Folding" Contest

Friendly design and folding competitions.
alam

Re: "Mountain Folding" Contest

Post by alam »

Hi guys, some new submissions for the contest!!

title: “Alpine ibex”
paper: a 40x40cm square sheet of elephanthide paper.
notes: Shaped with PVA glue/MC, binder clips and water (partially wet folded).
The finished model is 10cm tall and 15 cm wide.
“In the process of designing the model I wanted to use a range of different techniques to depict the characteristics of the ibex. I hence designed the CP with differing thickness in aspects of the model. This allowed me to wetfold the head and back body to give the model a more organic feel, whilst using MC/PVA to thin the layers formed in denser parts of the model, especially the legs to support the body.”

title: “Mountain of Angels”
paper: a 10 inch (25cm) square of copy paper.
notes: No glue nor cutting in the process. This model is from a Water-Bomb Base and it’s quite simple to make.
Last edited by alam on May 26th, 2014, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alam

Post by alam »

title: “Mountain folded: the mountain participates in the research process and it’s somehow crossed by it”
paper: a 15 cm square of “rock paper” and a 5 cm square of green (duo) kraft paper.
notes:

title: “Why to carry a newspaper to the toilet, when you can bring some paper instead, and fold it?”
paper: foil paper
notes: (the wc is a model by Gerardo Gacharna)
Made from a frog base with a 1/8 graft
Last edited by alam on May 26th, 2014, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alam

Post by alam »

title: Madness
paper: A square of 50×50 cm (Goat), about 300 modules based on 60° for the mountain
notes: The structure for the goat is in 22,5° degrees, the reference point come out from a kite base, the structure have diagonal simetry and one different feature of the other similar aesthetically structures is that the tail for the model came from the middle of the paper and not from one corner of the square.
I don´t know exactly how many pieces I used to make the mountain but I think is about 300, probably it could be more and more but I think is a hard work without end.

title: “folder of mountain pastures”
paper: One uncut 25cm square of elephant hide paper with arylic paint on one side.
notes: From a bird base.

Keep folding, only one week left!!
Last edited by alam on May 26th, 2014, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alam

Post by alam »

Some new entries!!

title: “Mountain folder with backpack”
paper:
notes: “He was born in small size, as a lapel pin; then I folded him with a large 35 cm square of elephant-hide paper. For the small crane you have to ask him.
He has a roll of paper in the backpack, for every eventuality, and he is really happy when he meets someone who wants to fold with him.”

title: “Majestic Beauty and the Glorious Beast”
paper: an uncut 21.5 cm square of dual-color kami
notes: Finished 3D model measures 14.5cm x 8cm x 5cm.
“Immediate impulse was to create a mountain range for a panoramic effect and the unassuming cow that grazes on these grandiose mountains. Both are unmistakably wonderful subjects worthy of recognition and extremely relevant to the coming mountain folding activity. One will surely encounter these beautiful works of art in the lovely village of Madesimo.”
Last edited by alam on May 26th, 2014, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alam

Post by alam »

title: “Mountain landscape”
paper: “I used squares of wrapping paper green on one side, about 45 cm for the largest, 25 for medium and 15 for the cap, but it is quite indifferent, depending on how you want to use; with the square of 45 cm you get a hat suitable for an adult.
For the snail a square of the same color on both sides (but it is interesting to use bicolored paper) of 5 cm.”
notes: “For this model I tried to create a model that, in addition to being well recognized, it is also easy to fold, so that it can be done even by those who are not very experienced
It was fun because once created has shown other possibilities … in the beginning it is a simple profile, opening it becomes three-dimensional; with a fold at the center can be assembled to another piece mirror, creating a more complex landscape; small and with a few modifications, it turns into a snail and fully opened in a hat dragon.”

title: “Pyr”
paper: “One sheet of Elephant hide paper white painted on the inner side, and some brush on the other side (which in my though shall be completely different), triangular shape.
A triangle with side lenght of 40cm gives a model about 20cm high and 20 cm long.”
notes: “Finishing products or techniques used: achrilic colour and handfolding.”
Last edited by alam on May 26th, 2014, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ale_beber

Post by ale_beber »

Some new entries of the contest...

title: “Omatltepetl” (paper mountain in nahuatl, a native Mexican language)
paper: single-sided and duo kami, 15 cm squares
notes: “I think it is a very simple and basic model, but my personal judges (son and daugther) immediatly agreed in that the models are a snowed mountain, a volcano, and a mountain with a lake.”

title: “Squirrel on a log”
paper: An uncut duo 48 cm square of “sandwich paper”, made with thai mulberry paper and aluminium foil
notes: Inspired by a woodprint by M.C. Escher.

title: “Snowy Mountains”
paper: Grey Rhino paper (110 gsm), 20 x 20 cm
(finished model: 12 x 5,5 cm)
notes: Reading the book helps us to understand what we are and what we have to do. Books are very important equipment to climb to the mountain of life. So, reading and climbing mountains is somehow the same: when finished, no one in the world can see you, but you can see the world.
Last edited by ale_beber on May 26th, 2014, 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ale_beber

Post by ale_beber »

title: Sunrise on the mountains: “The sun is rising, it’s time to fold”
paper: folded from 40×40 cm tissue+foil+tissue sandwich paper. The final size is 15cmx25cm (HxW)
notes: While designing this model I wanted to create something both symbolic and functional.
The main description of the ‘Mountain Folding’ activity says that it is going to be «an experience wider than the traditional origami conventions». This brought me to the idea of creating Sunrise model. In many cultures the rising of the sun symbolizes a new beginning and knowledge. So, I think, the main meaning of my model can be “the sunrise of classical art”.
Thanks to the mini pockets inside, it turns to 3D model with penholder. And you can put note papers or even small program or flyer inside it.

title: “Mountain grizzly bear”
paper: Folded from a 35×35 sheet of elephant hide paper in 5 hours
Shaped with mc and binder clips. The finished model is 10 cm tall and 20 cm wide
notes: I designed a part of the model based on box pleating and on a 22.5 degree structure. The variation allowed me to more accurately capture the essence of the subject which, for me, was based in the head of the model, which is why I tried to make it more detailed. Since such bears are largely endangered in the mountains, I dodn’t want to give the subject an aggressive feel and wanted to depict one of caution. Finally, I used diagonal symmetry because it seemed like the intuitive choice for an open belly model and allowed me to lengthen the main body – adding to the efficiency of the result.

title: “The path of origami”
paper: a square of green crumpled tissue paper (26 x 26 cm) glued to a square of light blue Fabriano paper (22 x 22 cm, 220 gr)
notes: a simple hypothesis of logo… a 3D path that starts in a mountain pass and the profile of the mountains that draws a M as the first letter of “Mountain Folding”
Last edited by ale_beber on May 26th, 2014, 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ale_beber

Post by ale_beber »

And here are the last 3 entries!

“Mountain Folding logo”

title: “MountainFolding skyline”
paper: A 1:4 rectangle of simple copy paper 80gsm.
notes: “The model itslef show just a skyline of the mountains.
But with a bit of imagination you can read mountain folding in it.”

title: “Landscape with village”
paper: An uncut, 50 cm square of tissue paper.
notes: The finished model is about 25x20x30 cm.
in progress...
alam

Post by alam »

It's time to vote!
In the previous posts and in this albums you can find all models in the competition: http://mountainfolding.altervista.org/e ... t-entries/
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 307&type=1

You can express more than one preference and you have time to cast your vote until Saturday, May 31; on Sunday, June 1, the winner will be proclaimed.
Please note that the winner model will become the official image of the convention and it will be printed on t-shirts and other gadgets: we invite you to take this into account in your choice!
Thank you for your participation and good vote :) :) :)
ale_beber

Post by ale_beber »

Everyone can vote just by posting a reply, listing their preferences (number and title of the chosen models). Every model appearing in the list will get one point. Please post just one reply, with all your preferences.

I'm sorry I couldn't add a poll to the first post, as it allows only 12 options, and we have 24 models in the contest...

There's not much time left, hurry up! and, please, play nice...!
ale_beber

Post by ale_beber »

Well, here are the contest results:

3rd place, "Sunrise on the mountains: The sun is rising, it’s time to fold” folded by Kunsulu Jilkishiyeva

2nd place, “Folder of mountain pastures” by Sébastien Limet and "Mountain Folding Logo" by Hoàng Tiến Quyết
ImageImage

and 1st place, "Madness" by Nicolás Gajardo!!!

Here you can find the details of the voting process.

Congratulations to all the participants!!!

A.B.