"Mountain Folding" Contest

Friendly design and folding competitions.
ale_beber

Post by ale_beber »

"Mountain Folding: Origami creativity in the Alps"
(http://mountainfolding.altervista.org)

The contest consists of creating an original model, inspired and related to the convention idea. The winning model, chosen by a public votation, will become the Mountain Folding official image, and it could be used for gadgeds and promotional material about the convention. The prize will be the free registration to Mountain Folding or, alternatively, in a pack of high-quality paper and the event gadgets.

Rules:
  • The models must be new, specifically designed for this event; previously published models won’t be accepted.
  • Any starting shape can be used, also multi-sheets, without using glue or cuts; it’s allowed to use MC or similar products in the final shaping.
  • Any subject pertinent with Mountain Folding is allowed: alpine animals or plants, a logo or symbol for the convention, people performing mountain summer activities…
  • Any kind of model will be accepted: single-sheet representational, modulars, tessellations, crumpling…
  • The winner will be asked to send us the CP of his model and will allow us to use pictures and the CP as the convention “logo” and for the official material; in any case, the author keeps all the rights on his model.
Participation:
  • Any participant can submit at most three different models.
  • The model pictures must have uniform background, without writings indicating the author name, to keep the models anonymous.
  • The high-resolution pictures must be sent by email to mountainfolding@gmail.com before May, 25th 2014.
  • For each model, participants must send at least 3 pictures and all its relevant details (kind of paper used, sheet and model size, shape and number of sheets, finishing products or techniques used…)
  • Please, do not share or publish pictures of the submitted models elsewhere before the voting end.
Voting:
  • The pictures of the participating models will be published anonimously, without the author name, on the event fb page and on “The Origami Forum“: the voting will be open for a week, from 26th to Saturday 31st May and, during this period, anyone will be able to express one or more preferences, in the form of fb “likes” or votes in the forum. After the voting end, the votes on the fb page will be summed up with the ones on the forum, and the winner will be declared.
  • Following some suggestions we received, we decided to add a technical jury to the contest, in order to obtain a judgment more honest and less manipulable. The judges will be 5 renowned origamists, not involved in the organization of the convention and the competition in order to ensure the neutrality of their judgment.
    During the vote week, each judge will choose their favourite 5 models, assigning 5 points to the first, 4 points to the second, and so on. The same rule will be applied to the models receiving more preferences on Facebook and the forum, for a total of 7 distinct rankings.
  • On Sunday, 1st June, the votes of the 5 judges and the people’s choices ones will be summed up, and the winner will be declared.
  • The members of the technical jury are:

Last edited by ale_beber on April 30th, 2014, 2:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Re: "Mountain Folding" Contest

Post by Swapnil Das »

Sounds interesting! I'll definitely participate! Do I need to have a FB account? or is the Forum account enough?
We're all stories in the end.

My flickr Please visit and comment as much as you can!
GrossMichael

Post by GrossMichael »

If I submit a model am I allowed to share pictures of it until voting is done?
origami_8
Administrator

Post by origami_8 »

Please, do not share or publish pictures of the submitted models elsewhere before the voting end.
ale_beber

Post by ale_beber »

sr123ification wrote:Sounds interesting! I'll definitely participate! Do I need to have a FB account? or is the Forum account enough?
A fb account is not needed for participating (nor is the Forum account). Just start designing, and submit your results to mountainfolding@gmail.com. Then, pictures of the participating models will be published both here and on the Mountain Folding fb page (https://www.facebook.com/MountainFolding). Finally, during the voting week, a fb and/or Forum accounts will be needed for expressing your preferences.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Okay, thanks.

alam

Post by alam »

First submission for the contest!

title: “Mountain Fold”
paper: 30cm square of homemade tissue-foil, made specifically with a texture on the blue side.
notes: The finished model is about 15cm high and 18cm wide.

Alessandra, Mountain Folding organiser.
Last edited by alam on May 26th, 2014, 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
loganorigami

Post by loganorigami »

In th rules it states that you cannot post any pictures publicly until voting is over.
"the first step towards failure is trying"

my flickr - http://www.flickr.com/photos/65884349@N03/
ale_beber

Post by ale_beber »

This is the first entry for the contest. Me and Alessandra (aka "alam" on the forum) will be posting pictures of the submitted models here (and on the fb page) as soon as we receive them...
alam

Post by alam »

(We asked you not to publish models elsewhere, in order to keep them anonymous until the close of voting :wink: )

Second submission for the contest...
Ispired by the header image of the event on fb,
here comes a cow in the mountains!!!
Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

title: “Mountain Woodstock folding”
paper: A 30 cm square of “elephant-hide” paper, using wet-folding.
notes: ” I tried to think about something that could be representative of the fact that MountainFolding will be cool: and I remembered I found your pic about the cow in the mountain to be very cool!
So I folded it!”
source of inspiration:
Last edited by alam on May 26th, 2014, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alam

Post by alam »

Hooray!!!
Another submission for the contest:

title: “Crane on a Mountain”
paper: 30cm square of homemade tissue-foil.
notes: Finished size: ~15 cm high, ~17 cm wide

Keep folding and spread the word about the contest!
Last edited by alam on May 26th, 2014, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alam

Post by alam »

Getting better and better!
A submission for the contest that at the same time is also a quiz: "see the mountain?"
There is a hint in the title ... any guess? :D

title: “see the mountain?”
paper:
notes:
Last edited by alam on May 26th, 2014, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swapnil Das
Buddha

Post by Swapnil Das »

Of course! The pleats have mountain folds in it, right?

alam

Post by alam »

Hello guys, sorry for the delay in responding, last week we were away for an origami convention!

Another submission for the contest:

title: “la Pajarita de la Montaña”
paper: duo kami, 12x27cm
notes: final size: 12cm (base), 12cm (height)

(Stay tuned, great news are coming soon!)
Swapnil Das wrote:Of course! The pleats have mountain folds in it, right?
I'm sorry Swap, wrong answer ... try to think about traditional diagrams :wink:

Alessandra
Last edited by alam on May 26th, 2014, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alam

Post by alam »

Some important news about the competition:
with the consent of those who have already submitted the models, we have introduced some changes to the rules!
The duration of the contest has been extended for a month and we have decided to add a technical jury to popular vote, in order to obtain a judgment more honest and less manipulable.

The members of the technical jury are:
David Brill
Willie G. Crespo
Roberto Morassi
Dáša Ševerová
Nicolas Terry

Alessandro will change as soon as possible to the first post of this topic,
meanwhile you can read here all the updated rules: http://mountainfolding.altervista.org/e ... /concorso/

I greet you with "The Mountain Folder": why bring a newspaper to the bathroom, when you can take the paper and fold?
(this special version of the model is out of competition!)

Good folds!
Last edited by alam on May 26th, 2014, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.